Essendon Womens team — possibility (2015 thread)

I have followed the Essendon football club for 50 years. Even during the board's ineptitude of the past 4 years I have continued to follow the Mighty Bombers! I am disgusted at the treatment served up to James Hird and the players and now the board is trying to sell us Politically correct BS like women's football. Get the primary purpose of the club right (winning AFL premierships not the HR BS put forward as mission statements). We don't need a women's team. We need to get a board who is competent to run our football club.

I’ve followed the Club for over fifty years too and those of you who have read the Tiffany stories would know that I’m rarely politically correct.

I think a women’s team is a great idea and I intend to watch them play and so will Tiff. In fact I might even do some training reports!

Maybe the board would have worked better in your estimation if there had been more women on it.

I have followed the Essendon football club for 50 years. Even during the board's ineptitude of the past 4 years I have continued to follow the Mighty Bombers! I am disgusted at the treatment served up to James Hird and the players and now the board is trying to sell us Politically correct BS like women's football. Get the primary purpose of the club right (winning AFL premierships not the HR BS put forward as mission statements). We don't need a women's team. We need to get a board who is competent to run our football club.

All I got from this post is that you are a sad, angry old man who is still upset he can’t slap his secretary on the ■■■ anymore. Grow up.

except for beverley knight i’m all for it

lol at the “standard” viewpoints, like Essendon have been the epitome of world class footy over the last decade.

I’ve followed the Club for over fifty years too and those of you who have read the Tiffany stories would know that I’m rarely politically correct.

I think a women’s team is a great idea and I intend to watch them play and so will Tiff. In fact I might even do some training reports!

Maybe the board would have worked better in your estimation if there had been more women on it.

Perhaps Jackie we should bring back Bev Knight ! That worked well last time. I have no problem with women playing football but at this point in time I think it is a distraction that the club doesn’t need whilst it attempts to rebuild itself.
When we have our core business running smoothly we can look to diversify.
And I like women … a lot !

All I got from this post is that you are a sad, angry old man who is still upset he can’t slap his secretary on the ■■■ anymore. Grow up.

You would appear to be the misogynist in this discussion. This is not about Political correctness or your weird ideas on what may have happened in the office 20 years ago. You better hurry, I suspect you are late for school !

You would appear to be the misogynist in this discussion. This is not about Political correctness or your weird ideas on what may have happened in the office 20 years ago. You better hurry, I suspect you are late for school !

You might want to look up the meaning of misogyny, also projecting while you’re at it. And also don’t be afraid of youth. While I’m not at school anymore being young or in school doesn’t prevent them having sound thought or inspired ideas.

But I’m not your boss man. You do you. I’ll do me. As I said before, a woman’s team is a great idea. I hope the club is as successful in this as it has been in our AFL/VFL history. I can’t see how this will have anything but a positive effect on us as a club and brand.

If it fails, and it very well may, it shouldn’t be from a lack of trying to be innovative and welcome new ideas.

Next thing you know, women will be allowed to vote…pfffftt

So you reckon they should call the team, The Sufferer Jets??

Now ive probably have seen more games of womens football than most Blitzers due to the fact my daughter has played for both w bulldogs and melbourne AFL clubs she also played on the all Australian green and gold teams the year before.
Its not only about Skill level its about the whole marketing of the game to everyone not just us who no longer pull on the boots or follow a side in any football code there is a large % of women at all AFL games in every suburban and country league and many clubs have female office bearers .Some of the girls liken themselves to AFL players by having that players # on their back .

So you reckon they should call the team, The Sufferer Jets??
The Tipparettes.
Yes, for brevity I deleted this sentence: Sports in which women excel over men, such as gymnastics, ice skating etc ARE watched (when they are shown in Olympics or Commonwealth games).

So the answer may be not to try to make women try to do sports that have evolved as men’s games but to do sports which they (for the most part) can do better than males (for the most part) can do.

I hope this is not PI because it is very easy to put a foot wrong in these matters. And again, this is not anything against WEFC.

I think you are missing my point AT. I think women's and men's sports are different. They can have the same rules and play on the same courts but they are played in a different way.
I much prefer watching women's basketball to men's because I like the fact that it is played in the half court rather than just in the key. I like there is more strategy involved in terms of creating the opening to score.  Men's basketball is played almost solely  in the air with a pass to the person over seven foot closest to the ring. 
I used to much prefer women's tennis as they had long rallies, the men used to serve and play one ot two more strokes and it was all over. Men's tennis now, is a completely different sport and I now prefer men's tennis as it is more tactical and strategic.
The sports you mention Ice Skating and Gymnasitcs are different for men and women anyway, they have different components in gymnastics, and different requirements in ice skating.
I see women's football developing like women's basketball and it will be a different game.
In the women's match I saw, I thought the tackling was fantastic, maybe because it is harder to shrug out of it due to a) no one has learnt the bend knees drop a la Selwood, or more likely b) women have a different body shape.
Problem is men often look at women's sport as an inferior version of the men's product, instead of looking at it as a different game with different skills and therefore different tactics and strategies.
Once that happens we really will have equality. 

Bit hard to not compare something when it’s played by the same rules on the same court/field lol
fwiw if you speak to basketball nuts they’ll talk about the differences in playing style between the NBA, Euro league, Asia and Australia. But they’re still pretty unanimous that the NBA is the best 

I think the situation we face is that the AFL Women’s National League is a foregone conclusion.

You only need to hear from the likes of the Daisy Pearce’s currently involved at the elite level of it to see the benefits from it - she is every bit a champion footballer as anyone else playing it.

There is talk of the AFL having both this and the national reserves competition. Instead of saying stuff like we have no business being involved and so on, let’s embrace the concept. Let’s expand the club and it’s potential supporter base, sponsorship dollars. Let’s get an elite team of women footballers, utilising our facilities, training with the boys (which would only help their development in any case) and win as many premierships as we can.

How would it be if we won the:

AFL
AFL Women’s
National Reserves and/or VFL

In the same season?

It would be epic.

I’m so desperate for success, I keep thinking “arranged relationships”.

Eastie_Boi said:
Bit hard to not compare something when it's played by the same rules on the same court/field lol
fwiw if you speak to basketball nuts they'll talk about the differences in playing style between the NBA, Euro league, Asia and Australia. But they're still pretty unanimous that the NBA is the best 
I am a basketball nut, I played for 40 years. I find the NBA as boring as batshit. So predictable
No doubt the players are talented, but its a boring style of play. No finesse at all.
Scorpio said:
In the women's match I saw, I thought the tackling was fantastic, maybe because it is harder to shrug out of it due to a) no one has learnt the bend knees drop a la Selwood, or more likely b) women have a different body shape.
I didn't realise it until I read your post, but you are spot on.

When they tackled, they fkn tackled. 

I also think I’ve just realised that AFL players have it stressed so often to stay on their feet at all costs that they’re afraid of throwing their full weight into a tackle, lest their opponent slip free and leave them in their wake, leading to them getting benched so some assistant to the assistant’s assistant coach can tells them that it cost 0.75 metres gained.

simmo41 said:
Scorpio said:
I didn't realise it until I read your post, but you are spot on.

When they tackled, they fkn tackled. 
I think there was one who used her head as a battering ram.
pazza said:
I think the situation we face is that the AFL Women's National League is a foregone conclusion.

You only need to hear from the likes of the Daisy Pearce's currently involved at the elite level of it to see the benefits from it - she is every bit a champion footballer as anyone else playing it.

There is talk of the AFL having both this and the national reserves competition. Instead of saying stuff like we have no business being involved and so on, let's embrace the concept. Let's expand the club and it's potential supporter base, sponsorship dollars. Let's get an elite team of women footballers, utilising our facilities, training with the boys (which would only help their development in any case) and win as many premierships as we can.

How would it be if we won the:

AFL
AFL Women's
National Reserves and/or VFL

In the same season?

It would be epic.

There is only one worth winning ! The rest is a waste of space.  The VFL/Reserves is a development league for us and costs us plenty to compete.  Women's league would also cost plenty and the so called extra supporters and sponsorship dollars would not cover the cost. Most clubs are already running at a loss.