Everyone else's latest

Anyone got the pixel 3a xl

Throwing it old school and bought an unlocked Mobiwire Dakota + Dodoā€™s $5/month plan to replace my iPhone + Optus $49/month (which costs me $70+ in reality).
Lack of music in the car & train will be an issue so Iā€™ll work out what release iPod is compatible with my Bluetooth/USB and pick up one off eBay.
Estimate the new phone + iPod will have paid itself off in 2.5 months and I might actually get things done during the day lol.

3 Likes

Was thinking of getting some AirPods but saw a JB Hi-Fi catalogue and there were about 50 different brands/types of cordless ear buds and so I need some advice in the $250-$350 dollar range.

I listen to music while working at my desk, as well as on transport (train/flights) and when Iā€™m running or working out.

So comfort, noise canceling, easy to connect, goods sound, easy to charge, long battery life, donā€™t fall out, compact, etcā€¦

Are Airpods all that and more?

Get some unlosable ones.

1 Like

I got some cheap, wired, over-ear enclosed ones.

99% of the time I use them is on planes and at airports - most of my local travelling is in the car.

Canā€™t hear the plane noise (or anything else) through them.

Dodo have some weird bug on their website where they donā€™t recognise my postal address so I canā€™t activate my SIM so Iā€™ve actually been phoneless for a few days lol.
Dunno if Iā€™ve missed any important texts or calls but definitely havenā€™t missed anything important on social media, forums etc by only having access to them for a handful of hours each day.

from antitrust to goneā€¦

Internet Explorer is dead as Microsoft kills off 25-year-old browser

Microsoft has finally killed Internet Explorer

The browser will be finished on 17 August, 2021, the company said.

In a blog post, Microsoft explained that the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 ā€“ the most recent and final iteration of the browser - from November 30, 2020.

The remaining Microsoft 365 apps and services will end support for the browser next year.

Replacing the browser is Microsoft Edge, the computer giantā€™s new browser which relies on Chromium open-source software, developed by Google for Google Chrome. That gives Edge more features than Internet Explorer.

There is an older version of Edge which does not use Chromium; that version will also be phased out on 9 March 2021.

With many websites and applications still using Internet Explorer, Microsoft is trying to avoid having two active browsers at once.

Instead, Microsoft Edgeā€™s Internet Explorer Legacy mode means that users can stay on one browser ā€“ to ā€œseamlessly experience the best of the modern web in one tab while accessing a business-critical legacy IE 11 app in another tabā€, the company says.

The closure of Internet Explorer, and Microsoftā€™s non-Chromium browsers, has been on the cards for years. Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10 were discontinued in 2016, while Microsoft Edge was introduced one year before, in 2015.

The move towards Chromium for Microsoftā€™s browser, compared to its previous proprietary browser, has larger ramifications for the future of the open internet. Those concerns have become more pressing in recent months because of, among other things, the fallout between the US government and TikTok.

Chromium is now the basis of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Brave, Vivaldi, Avast Secure Browser, and Opera.

This means that Google has greater influence when it comes to what features are developed, practises accepted, and which usability concerns are deemed vital.

Nonetheless, the new Edge browser includes a range of features that differentiate it from others like Google Chrome.

This includes turning on tracking protection by default, which blocks both advertisements and almost all third-party tracking code.

Hoping someone can help me here.
Sick of iTunes/apple music crashing on the comp and looking for something I can use to sync b/w windows and iOS.
Iā€™ve got hard copies/files of all my music so donā€™t necessarily need anything with streaming services etc
edit
VLC via one drive seems to be the move but if anyone has other suggestions lemme know

Just an app to play Music through?

WinAmp. Nuff sed.

1 Like

I purchased Amazonā€™s Fire TV Stick Lite for my folks who have an older Samsung without Smart TV capabilities.

Have to say, for $50 Iā€™m pretty impressed.
Played around with it today and it was a breeze to set up.
The remote is so good with voice commands working flawlessly.
So, so easy to navigate from one service to another.

The other plus, it had no trouble connecting to my Iphoneā€™s hotspot, and was keeping up with 1080 for the most part.
As my folks donā€™t have home NBN (and donā€™t plan on it in the immediate future), this was important.

{yes, I know high def. movies will chew up data like a m/fukkaar}

2 Likes

Itā€™s great until I discovered setting it up it has no Kayo app. I got it specifically for mum to get her off foxtel.

Iā€™m hoping Kayo will get support before the AFL season starts.

I actually bought a pair of really cheap ones called haylou over a year ago, they are great imo. little be crap on Battery time but at 4 hours were more than good enough for my needs. Unfortunately I got a bit too enthusiastic cleaning them yesterday and stuffed them up. Looked online and got another pair on Amazon au for 41 bucks. New version has 12 hour battery. If they are as good as the old ones they are serious good bang for buck

1 Like

Question, if Google follows through with its threat to remove their search engine from AU, would t this seriously comprise their pixel brand of phones or even any Google powered phones. Would be more an issue for them and their brand I would think. I have an old pixel 2 that still is the most awesome phone Iā€™ve ever had and will no longer get updates, bit of they pulled out of Australia, I think Iā€™d seriously consider going to the dark side for the first time ever.

used to be able to watch your AFL live pass on the firestick through kodi.
dissapointing that AFL has cancelled the live pass.

are you sure the kayo app is unavailable

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong HD but I think that APK is loaded using a file downloader app and isnā€™t a native app built specifically for the firestick. More a android phone app ported to firestick.

Whilst personally I would definitely download it and use it on a firestick I owned, my little old mother wonā€™t know how to do that and I also hear there are some navigational issues with the port that would definitely cause headaches for dear olā€™ mum.

Happy to be corrected on this though, been hoping Kayo pulls their finger out before the season begins.

Kayo dont even have xbox or ps support yet. Dont hold your breath.

Ok, I thought you could have done it for her.

She lives in Gippy, so a good 6 hours from me in geelong. She could always mail it my way, I update it and mail it back.
But itā€™s more the nav issues in the app. From what I understand is because the APK is a converted phone app, it doesnā€™t play nice with the firestick remote. If thatā€™s the case, itā€™s just not practical for someone without techy nous.

fair enough, my mum would struggle with that too.
maybe you add the app to their phone and just stream from their phone/ipad to the tv via the firestick?

Would it though?

Itā€™d only be the search engine (Google.com) all their other services for android would be completely unchanged. Could still use chrome even I think.

A few probably already use search engines attached to different browsers (duck duck go, edge). Probably better off privacy wise too.

Google is considered the best and convenient and all, but canā€™t say I would notice it after the initial annoyance of changing over.

I already donā€™t use it on other devices.

And the blitzsearchengine works best anyway.

1 Like