Fan Behaviour at AFL games

What is the training to qualify as a behavioural awareness officer?

1 Like

seniority in the company. no other training other than experience that you’ve received working in the industry. that’s a good company, those 2 guys could have easily been first time working a game and just given those bibs when they rocked up.

same as rsa officers, it’s a pissy course you can do online to get that ■■■■.

So, you mean to tell me I could earn old hard cash every time I go to the footy, and kick out obnoxious oppositions fans?

Where do I sign?

5 Likes

Been going to AFL for 50 yrs. raised 3 kids in the outer at Windy Hill/MCG.

3 seperate crowd issues.

Drunks/Fighting. Idiots that throw a punch or fight; 2 year ban. $1000 fine; Zero tolerance.

Yelling in general; do what’s socially normal these days; no f or c expletives. Boo all you like.

Umpire abuse; see yelling above BUT don’t go down to the race and abuse them to their face as they come off or on the ground. That’s over the top and overly aggressive. Deserve to be kicked out! We need the umps no matter how much they frustrate.

And hiss off the gestapo security people. Completely over the top.

12 Likes

Damien Barret is such a flog. He keeps saying fans should get over it.

Fixed

2 Likes

Being able to put the vest on

2 Likes

The order for the vests was probably garbled - should have read “Behave or else officer”

1 Like

“Flogs in fluoro”

2 Likes

Or someone else can do for you.

1 Like

My two sons have worked part time at the footy for years. They both worked at Metricon before it was an AFL stadium and continued after the AFL came in to usher people to their seats etc. Younger one has now moved to Perth and has a part time job at Optus as a chef. Hes hoping he gets to watch some of the second half this week.

1 Like

What the AFL is trying to do is madness. This podcast I listen to has done this awesome interview with Joffa about. Normally can’t stand him, but he makes some very good points. Just thought I’d share it if anyone’s interested.

1 Like

Soccer fans ask for it to some extent - re flares.
How many flares have gone off at AFL games in comparison to A league games.
One went off in tassie when victory played a game here and it wasnt a local.
Provided a bit of excitement for the crowd, but could be scary in a capacity filled stadium.

But agree there are drunks and fights at both games.
And am sorry they hurt you and got the pepper spray out.

reducing alcohol consumption is the obvious answer to the drunk fights problem in AFL.
Lets hope flares don’t start to be a problem within the AFL.

My view on this.

With a young family I am more than happy that there is a crack down for crowd behavior. I’m an Essendon member and the abuse that gets thrown out from our members is pretty bad.

The issue I had was the implementation of the whole thing. AFL should have come out and said we are cracking down on crowd behavior due to issues (fights) in the early part of the year.
If you start a fight you are kicked out for 5 years
If you start abusing others you’ll get kicked out
if you are yelling cheering etc in an aggressive manner security will come and talk to you. They’ll ask you to claim down as that isn’t appropriate at a family event. If you continue you may be kicked out

Set the boundaries which is acceptable in the modern world… Then when people such as that guy in the Hawks cheer squad get talked to they understand why.

Gil should NOT have come out and apologised. He should have explained it then… even if it was late.
All this apology does is justify poor fan behavior to the yobbos in the crowd. it couldn’t have been handled much worst…

10 Likes

Paok in greece ended a 34 year title drought, does this look dangerous? Imagine being in this.

7 Likes

I assume that Young IPA podcast isn’t advocating India Pale Ale. If it’s the right-wing lot, I’ll pass.

1 Like

Huh. You’re just one of the “politically correct elite” and not a “regular person” aren’t ya?

100% this. As efc supporters most of us absolutely detest the afl since the obvious (to us) saga stitch up. Good to see them digging themselves another hole and now fans from other clubs are turning against them.

The current administration are absolutely ruining the game. Now everyone is starting to see it.

I don’t get to many games, but when I do I look fwd to the passion, the die hard yobbos, the banter between fans. Take all that away and i just won’t bother going.

The world is becoming such a censitised boring place to live in.

6 Likes

There is nothing wrong with kicking out dickheads from the footy. A ■■■■■■■■ is simply an in considerate ■■■■■■■.

What should be the case is simply a warning and settle down by security. Based on complaints.

I love shouting out you maggots or bullshit or balllll etc. But if there is kids nearby and I havent noticed. Of course if someone pointed it out I would tone it down. Thats totally fine.

But then there is the dickheads who wont tone it down if warned and they make a scene.

Kick em out. Seriously if you cant enjoy yourself at the footy and at the detriment of others enjoyment, who are you really?

A sad ■■■■■■, thats who.

There are more people in this world than those with young family’s. My old man took me to the footy from the age of 4/5, and I still attend 10 - 15 games per week. Same with my brother and and a handful of mates that are still in Melbourne. Poor crowd behavior has not and will not stop us from attending.

The self righteousness that comes with expecting everybody to align to the way in which you deem acceptable for your children is incredible.

Game day is already geared enough towards kids and family. If you don’t like people swearing, supporting passionately and giving it to the opposition and umpires, it may be time to look at supporting from home where all you hear is the AFL love fest and acceptable crowd noise over lay.

Who sets these boundaries?

anyone who is violent or abusive in a racial, sexual etc way should be banned indefinitely. Beyond that it is fine

2 Likes