Favorite Places To Eat

If anyone is out near Pakenham go to Ryno’s Burgers (they have a FB page) just a small pop up style joint which is pretty much a converted shipping container that do take away burgers. ■■■■■■ brilliant! Had one as a treat meal and ‘Sweet Mother of God’ it was amazing.

Given it a try for breakfast a few times and doesn’t disappoint.

But Johnny Pump also does some very tidy burgers and shakes, which I just smashed down for lunch.

Black angus burger and Key lime pie dessert shake…mmmmmmm!

Little deer Tracks in Coburg on ohea st near train line. Great food and perfect coffee

Little deer Tracks in Coburg on ohea st near train line. Great food and perfect coffee

Keep hearing this but Bugman is all about “where’s the bacon?”

the search in fark Brisbane for good food and coffee continues

Found a place called The Source Grocer in Tennerife, could have the name wrong and I don’t know how to spell the suburb

anyway, it’s ■■■■■■ good, kind of melbourne, kind of hipster, kind of yuppie.

Keep hearing this but Bugman is all about “where’s the bacon?”

True, it is vegetarian. I’m not vegetarian but the missus is and I loved it.

My dad went there as well and asked the same question as Bugman and even he liked it. And this is a guy who only likes his espresso in the morning and that’s it. Has never heard or sourdough or probably even poached eggs.

That’s quite comprehensive list Soft, I’ll be keen to check out most as I’m moving back to Melbourne next month. Fricken Queenslanders…

Might I add

Chin chin - I don’t know if it’s authentic Thai, but it’s unreal, it’s a pain in the ■■■■ to get into, but the food is mad. In the city, but surely it won’t be closed. Go hungry, and go for the ‘feed me’ option for around $70 each. Leave very satisfied.

I :heart:️ Pho - 264 Victoria St Richmond. There’s a few dozen places that serve Pho along this street, but I reckon this is by far the best. If you don’t like the Pho, try the “beef stew” or “sizzling beef steak”. Feed a family of 4 for $50. Don’t worry if there’s a line up, they crank through the meals.

I’m in Melbourne after new year. I plan to spend a week:

• Cycling
  • Eating
  • Drinking coffee

Briefly interrupted by spending time with the family.

I don’t plan to eat fancy. What are the must-do’s?

I'm in Melbourne after new year. I plan to spend a week:
  • Cycling
  • Eating
  • Drinking coffee

Briefly interrupted by spending time with the family.

I don’t plan to eat fancy. What are the must-do’s?

Unfortunately, a lot of the best places close for the 1st couple of weeks of the year.

Coffee wise, You need to hit Everyday Coffee in Collingwood + Patricia, Market Lane and Brother Baba Budan in the CBD

Coffee/food wise, I much prefer Wide Open Road (in Brunswick) to Proud Mary, which I know you dig, it’s got a better vibe and usually no harsh wait time for a table. You could also check Auction Rooms in North Melbourne. Seven Seeds in Carlton is another spot worth trying.

Food wise / Cheap / Good - Laksa King in Flemington, Jinda Thai in Abbotsford for excellent and super authentic Thai, A1 Lebanese Bakery in Brunswick , Shandong Mama or Supper Inn in the CBD for excellent Chinese, Beatbox Kitchen (Food Truck) for the best burgers (could also hit Andrew’s or Danny’s for old school dirty burgers), Shop Ramen in Collingwood for noodles and or steamed buns. Pho Tam in Footscray for Vietnamese. For Pizza head to Kaprica, D.O.C. or 400 Gradi in Carlton/East Brunswick, Aangan in West Footscray or Horn Please in North Fitzroy for Indian. Half Moon Cafe in Coburg for Eygptian style Kebab/Falafel.

Sweet Things -
If you’re into Cake go to Beatrix in North Melbourne, it’s next level, For Gelati head to Pidapipo on Lygon St (less manic than Messina). Fancy Donuts go to All Day in Brunswick or Short Stop in the City. Pastries hit up Baker D Chirico in Carlton or Loafer in North Fitzroy.

That should get you started :wink:

Hit up thornbury foodtrucks too.

Vegie Bar FTW

I also dig Top Paddock in Richmond for breakfast, that soft shell crab burger is all time…

I highly recommend the banquet (or whatever you toffs are calling it now) at George’s mum’s place. Hellenic Republic, Lygon St.
Doesn’t break the bank, either.

Hot damn Soft Tissue, now we’re talking.

I’m likely going to be centred somewhere near North Melbourne so that sounds like a good start.

I highly recommend the banquet (or whatever you toffs are calling it now) at George's mum's place. Hellenic Republic, Lygon St. Doesn't break the bank, either.

Does it break the banquet?

also yarraville gardens has a good food truck scene.

1. What are the Queen Victoria Markets and
  2. Should I go to the Queen Victoria Markets
1. What are the Queen Victoria Markets and 2. Should I go to the Queen Victoria Markets

TBH I think they’re ■■■■. But every tourist I met reckons they’re great. There’s some good fresh produce to be bought. And then tonnes of cheap stuff to by, think fake goods, soaps, didgeridoos, souvenirs.

BUT if you a re going there you MUST try Fancy Hanks BBQ. It’s up stairs at a pub which sits in the Queen Vic Market. I’d rank it as the best BBQ in Melbourne, easily.

1. What are the Queen Victoria Markets and 2. Should I go to the Queen Victoria Markets
You know those ■■■■■■ shops they have at Airports (or just outside airports) where you can buy chinese made koalas, ■■■■■■ leather goods, overpriced opals, and stuff you can get for a dollar off eBay for $10?? Imagine 5 acres of that. Plus carnies.

If you’re in North Melbourne, it’s pretty much around the corner, so maybe worth a look for an hour or so, but shuffle it to the bottom of your list and don’t stress too much if you miss it.

Red Spice Road is terrific. Lucy Liu’s is damned good, in the city too. I’m not sure if it’s run by the Chin chin people or just a bit of a rip off, either way it’s awesome. Make sure you get to one of those 3…

I like the actual local shopping/bar/restaurant strips myself, they’re as much a feature as specific bars/restaurants are. A lot of what’s recommended (they’re all good FWIW) are the best of a good bunch rather than one good one amongst ■■■■.
Collingwood/Fitzroy more for bars, Victoria St, Flemington maybe for the arabic/african food and coffee, Footscray for the Asian food, Brunswick, etc etc.
All slightly dodgy on one level or another, but all interesting and worth a look.

When visiting Melbs we often swing through Queen Vic markets and get a few bits of everything (breads, butter, olives, salamis, dips, pastries etc), then get a 6 pack and go kick the footy in a park somewhere.