Finals - Can we make them?

All games are potential wins just as all games are potential losses.

No.  We're a long way off good footy let alone finals-standard footy.

I'd rather us not make the finals at all than scrape in and get belted.  Not going to win many finals with under 10 goals.

Yeah......................................................sadly NAHHHHHH!

I find the value of this conversation can best be described by looking at the win loss record of the teams from 6 to 11 on that very ladder I. The op. Adelaide is only team to win more games than they lost in the past 5 weeks and even they arent on pace to win 9 out of 13. For 13 wins to evr be relevant two those teams are gonna have to preform a ■■■■ load better thzn what they’ve shown so far and one of them is just as likely be us.

Utterly pointles conversation and one of many that seems to assume a mystical “make finals” level of football and assumes everybody is capable of geyting it done but us.

Take it back to the lid on thread.

This changes everything.

On the basis that we play to our ability... we will sneak into the eight.

Gold Coast the team to miss as North are so fortunate with their dream run home.

Starting Saturday night... we all need to get out there and ferociously support the team.

There’s only been two teams playing above the level of the pack, and one of them is massively under strength.

Pies, Cats, Swans, Freo have been 60% “on” (whereas we’ve been 35 or 40%). But we’re still only two wins out of 4th.

No idea if we make it or not but it’s going to be a pretty tight year.

Even some of the good sides are playing in spurts.

Yes and no.

But in a much more accurate way, no.

The draw as it stands is as follows. The games we should win are in bold, the games we should lose are un-bolded.

11. Richmond (MCG)

12. GWS (Spotless)

13. Melbourne (MCG)

14. Adelaide (Etihad)

15. Geelong (Etihad)

16. Port Adelaide (AO)

17. Collingwood (MCG)

18. Bulldogs (Etihad)

19. Sydney (SCG)

20. Richmond (MCG)

21. West Coast (Etihad)

22. Gold Coast (Etihad)

23. Carlton (MCG)

Long story short - there is now absolutely zero room for error. We need to win every single one of the games that we 'should' win in order to get to 13 wins. Its possible however that 12 might allow us to sneak into 8th, in which case we'd be allowed one slip up.

Essentially though, we need be flawless in the games we should win from here onwards, be hopefully 9-9 at the end of Round 19, and then win 4 in a row (including a final game against Carlton) to make it to the 13 wins that will guarantee us a spot.

I hope we go on a run and make it, but surely you'd have to think its unlikely (though not impossible) at this stage.

GC only if they have tired by then.

Mebourne is 50/50 at best as it West Coast.

And I think we have a decent chance of beating Collingwood too.

Wasn't there some stat that in most years the top-8 has been locked by mid-season?

With such an even season the crap served up against StKilda will come back to bite.

Wasn't there some stat that in most years the top-8 has been locked by mid-season?

I was going to mention this. I remember last year they came up with "The Rule of Eight", and it was something about the top 8 being locked after 8 rounds. Or maybe if you were top 4 after 8 rounds you would almost certainly still make the 8.

The draw as it stands is as follows. The games we should win are in bold, the games we should lose are un-bolded.

11. Richmond (MCG)

12. GWS (Spotless)

13. Melbourne (MCG)

14. Adelaide (Etihad)

15. Geelong (Etihad)

16. Port Adelaide (AO)

17. Collingwood (MCG)

18. Bulldogs (Etihad)

19. Sydney (SCG)

20. Richmond (MCG)

21. West Coast (Etihad)

22. Gold Coast (Etihad)

23. Carlton (MCG)

WE need to beat blues twice in a season and tigers twice in a season, haven't done for a while.

I think we need to win 2 out of pies/port/swans/cats, to make up for poor start and allow for another loss out of probably wins

With such an even season the crap served up against StKilda will come back to bite.

thats the opposite of sense. In an even season you can get away with some fuckups. In an uneven season you'll be unable to keep with the best teams if you drop a game.
Do you misery merchants even think this stuff through or do you just see thing say thing means bad.

thats the opposite of sense. In an even season you can get away with some farkups. In an uneven season you'll be unable to keep with the best teams if you drop a game.
Do you misery merchants even think this stuff through or do you just see thing say thing means bad.

I would say given the unevenness of the draw ie, port/crows/north/gold coast all missing finals last year it makes it easier for them and thus creates a lot of teams fighting for 8th spot.

Yes! We can...

However we do have Carlton, Richmond, Melbourne, all coming into some form...

If we continue to play poorly up forward then no we won't make finals.

Get more run out of the midfield and better performances up forward and we can make it.

We seem to be turning into Richmond in that it is expected that we won't be a contending team year after year. However that can change at some point.

If you want to be a good quality finals side then you need to play a no bull**** brand of football for four quarters.

maybe we will take Gold Coasts spot when they get kicked out of finals for giving AOD to Bocky

the irony.

maybe we will take Gold Coasts spot when they get kicked out of finals for giving AOD to Bocky

the irony.

its interesting that Bocky hasn't played again.

I thought he had something else as well for his shoulder.

"Finals - Can we make them?"

Yes we can, and no we wont.

my guess is that we end up mid-table, missing out by a  few points

If bomber can get his act together and have the team playing a direct brand of footy with intensity we will make it. If we play the chipping rubbish soft footy that we have been for most of this season we won’t.

Over to you bomber