Former #19 - Shaunye

Yeah, nah. Has some talent no doubt, but people overrate the upper ceiling of flashy players quite often and I'd say Edwards is one.

Disagree, he has shown he CAN do it all, hangers, goals, has shown he can get the hard ball, can tackle the list goes on

Problem is he refuses to do those things in the same game!

I’ve been a fan but am afraid he hasnt got enough go in him and therefore wont make it past this year

yeah. For such a talented player he cant hit targets and is a poor decision maker.

Edwards must have selective talent.

He has shown he can hit targets and has shown good decision making at times too, for whatever reason (i think its his effort/workrate/attitude) he only gives some aspects in each game never brings everything to the table together

Simple - Not talented enough for AFL.

I think im better off giving up on this discussion but might i suggest you look up the meaning of talent

He’s talented enough for afl thats why he was drafted and has been perservered with for 5-6 years

Its a matter of hard work to develop that talent into something more

He has not developed into a consistent, reliable performer thats why he will (probably) be delisted at seasons end

Which means Edwards doesn’t have the talent to be a good AFL player.

You didnt research what talent means did you?

He doesnt have the determination, work ethic, mental strength etc. all of these things are more important than talent by the way

He has more than enough talent unfortunately it will be wasted talent

talent
ˈtalənt/
noun
natural aptitude or skill.

He has that in spades but cant develope without the other attributes

Yeah, nah. Has some talent no doubt, but people overrate the upper ceiling of flashy players quite often and I'd say Edwards is one.

Disagree, he has shown he CAN do it all, hangers, goals, has shown he can get the hard ball, can tackle the list goes on

I’ve been a fan but am afraid he hasnt got enough go in him and therefore wont make it past this year

yeah. For such a talented player he cant hit targets and is a poor decision maker.

He has shown he can hit targets and has shown good decision making at times too, for whatever reason (i think its his effort/workrate/attitude) he only gives some aspects in each game never brings everything to the table together

I think im better off giving up on this discussion but might i suggest you look up the meaning of talent

He’s talented enough for afl thats why he was drafted and has been perservered with for 5-6 years

He has not developed into a consistent, reliable performer thats why he will (probably) be delisted at seasons end

He doesnt have the determination, work ethic, mental strength etc. all of these things are more important than talent by the way

talent
ˈtalənt/
noun

Players dominate under 15’s but then can’t make the step up to under 17’s, and the cycle continues - Many elite Junior sportspeople jump to seniors and then become also-rans .

I’m not sure that’s an entirely true statement Y55.

I think the seeds of an AFL talented player exist in young Edwards. However, the desire and willingness to apply himself and grow those talents appears to be missing.

He needs to pull a rabbit out of a hat to survive me thinks.

Does anyone else think Kyrgios and Shred are alike in some ways? Not taking about Kyrgios’ carry on, but rather their physique, athletic abilities and the way they move. Was watching Kyrgios the other day and thought “there’s Shred”.

You guys are trying to argue against Yaco when he is fixed on something???

talent
ˈtalənt/
noun

Players dominate under 15’s but then can’t make the step up to under 17’s, and the cycle continues - Many elite Junior sportspeople jump to seniors and then become also-rans .

Absolutely agree, and you’ll notice i think he is done as i havent suggested he’s good enough to remain on the list and i highly doubt he will get another gig but its not because he lacks talent its because of all the other factors i mentioned

FFS, he has PLAYED … read it again, already PLAYED 24 fkn games.

If he wasn’t talented enough, he wouldn’t have. Anyone that does, by default is… because they did.

He may not be able to harness it enough to keep playing, or have the smarts to, but that’s another story.

Travis Varcoe took an eternity to get his ■■■■ together and he was playing for one of the greatest teams of the modern era.

Anyone who is an outside type player (we aren’t winning inside ball), or a fwd in our current side given limited inside 50s and is basically pushing ■■■■ up hill.

That said those things aren’t stopping Edwards from gut running both ways or putting his head over the footy. Both of which he is in control of himself.

Travis Varcoe took an eternity to get his ■■■■ together and he was playing for one of the greatest teams of the modern era.

Anyone who is an outside type player (we aren’t winning inside ball), or a fwd in our current side given limited inside 50s and is basically pushing ■■■■ up hill.

That said those things aren’t stopping Edwards from gut running both ways or putting his head over the footy. Both of which he is in control of himself.

Varcoe always has and always will be useless apart from 2 quarters in a Grandfinal 6 years ago.

One more game.

Disagree.
The remainder of this season is a free hit, as far as looking at Edwards, Hams, Ashby, and any others who might be borderline for whether they are keepers or not.
We aren’t competitive and are not going to change that much no matter who we pick in the remaining games.
It is an opportunity to see what these players can and can’t do, and then make a decision at year end.
My personal view is that we are still a fair way off the pace, even when the 12 return, and need to go to the draft with as many high picks as we can muster in the next few years. We have been guilty of hanging on to fringe dwellers for too long in the past, in the hope of improvement and development. I don’t think we have that luxury now. It is important to make decisions on all these guys earlier, even if we make a couple of mistakes.

Are you saying ‘give him more games’, or ‘don’t give him another game’?

Play them for the remainder of the year so that the club can make a decision on them.
Give them the opportunity to establish themselves, or if they can’t, decide if they have a future in a good team.

One more game.

Disagree.
The remainder of this season is a free hit, as far as looking at Edwards, Hams, Ashby, and any others who might be borderline for whether they are keepers or not.
We aren’t competitive and are not going to change that much no matter who we pick in the remaining games.
It is an opportunity to see what these players can and can’t do, and then make a decision at year end.
My personal view is that we are still a fair way off the pace, even when the 12 return, and need to go to the draft with as many high picks as we can muster in the next few years. We have been guilty of hanging on to fringe dwellers for too long in the past, in the hope of improvement and development. I don’t think we have that luxury now. It is important to make decisions on all these guys earlier, even if we make a couple of mistakes.

Play them for the remainder of the year so that the club can make a decision on them.
Give them the opportunity to establish themselves, or if they can’t, decide if they have a future in a good team.

I’d be surprised if a decision hasn’t already been made on Edwards. Barring injuries, I doubt we’ll see him in the 1’s again

FFS, he has PLAYED .. read it again, already PLAYED 24 fkn games.

If he wasn’t talented enough, he wouldn’t have. Anyone that does, by default is… because they did.

He may not be able to harness it enough to keep playing, or have the smarts to, but that’s another story.

There have been players far less talented than Edwards who have played 24+ games.

One more game.

Disagree.

I’d be surprised if a decision hasn’t already been made on Edwards. Barring injuries, I doubt we’ll see him in the 1’s again

I’d be surprised if a decision has been made on anyone yet.

Adelaide were keen on him. Trade him there for Jenkins and Sloane.

We can throw in the 3rd rounder Ricky Dyson left behind.

He needs a coach who believes in him. Playing a couple of games in a row and being dropped f-cks with your confidence which has been his story at Essendon. I think he’s being treated poorly re: selection. Clearly Essendon have lost faith. I hope whatever club he goes to next year he gets a decent run at it. Essendon will get no more than a third rounder.

Lol, he needs to work way harder at afl level. nothing to do with coaches.

It was made over a month ago and was given 4 weeks to prove the club wrong, he got 3…

He’s gone.

He needs a coach who believes in him. Playing a couple of games in a row and being dropped f-cks with your confidence which has been his story at Essendon. I think he's being treated poorly re: selection. Clearly Essendon have lost faith. I hope whatever club he goes to next year he gets a decent run at it. Essendon will get no more than a third rounder.

Worsfold said on bomber tv a while ago that they promised Shaun a block of games this year after he strung a few games together. He got 3 I think it was and barely did anything. Hope he can pull his finger out though.

The fella clearly has the talent. Unfortunately, that’s just not enough to make it in modern day Aussie rules. There is just so much you need to a) Learn, b) remember, & c) implement under pressure these days. Some guys have the mental capacity to do that, &, as in all walks of life when it comes to complexities, some do not.

You could see during Shredz chances this year so far, that he would do one thing well in each game. It seemed as if after every game, he was told that there was a thing he didn’t do, that he needed to, & he went out the next week & focused on that part & did it quite well, but sadly, at the expense of other things, instead of in addition to them.

It sucks that the game has gotten so ■■■■■■ involved & intricate, with game plans, presses, etc, … how to tackle properly and not get forced high, and how to drop the ball to advantage without getting done when you are, … - positioning in this particular situation in this circumstance, as opposed to another circumstance, …etc, etc, …

But the good teams have guys that remember all these set up’s & nuances, all, or most of the time, and some blokes just can’t store it all & action it often enough.

I have an unhappy sense that Shaun is one of them.