Former #19 - Shaunye

Wasn’t Oakley Nicholls dyslexic or had some kind of learning disorder? Didn’t think it was illiteracy.

Don’t think it’s fair to put Leroy in the “modern gameplans fkd him” category. He had 2 great years. For me it was all heart and instinct for Leroy. Rarely had the former, and lit it up when he used the latter. Never had either for long enough.

SE had a lot of exciting tools and I really hoped he would come good, but I just don’t think he saw the map of the field very well with the ball in hand. Hence too many long high bombs to no-one in particular rather than spotting a specific target. I think it’s something you can improve but he has so far to get to AFL average in that aspect. Shame because some of his tools are beyond average. Hopefully he can work on it enough to warrant a chance elsewhere.

DONGA
GUMB
LEROY
SHAUNYE

WHOS NEXT?

I recall a discussion a couple of seasons ago about the importance of a player's ability to follow instruction and game plan comprehension. They used a former Richmond high draft pick as an example. Was a brilliantly gifted natural footballer but didn't understand plays and and structures. Was traded to West Coast but didn't play a game due to the same reasons. Not saying S Edwards was deficient in this area but a sure fire way to not get a game is to not do what your coaches ask of you.
Great point Diggers.

I felt this is what caused Leroy’s demise as a footballer too.

Had all the tools to be the player that we needed him to be for us at the time but I felt that his natural ability got bogged down by him trying to follow the game plan that was being drummed into him and overthinking everything he did on the field, hence him always trying to spot up a better option inside 50 than going for goal himself when the opportunity arose.

Shaunye I believe is a similar type player to Leroy and needed just to go out and play on instinct rather than to think too much whilst out on the ground.

Hope he remains on the VFL list though or goes elsewhere in the VFL as I reckon he’s too good to wallow away in a lower league.

spot on

It didn't work out for him but it was a tough time for Shauny between late 2013-2016. A lot of stuff went down in that time at the club, changing coaches and he just didn't seem to find that drive which took his game to the next level. Provided some highlights but if he couldn't crack into the team this year and keep his spot, the writing was on the wall.

Good kid who was well liked by his teammates. I wish him all the best for the future!

3 different coaches saw him in action. Had good skills and a bit of polish, but in the end not enough application to succeed.

Edwards was educated at an exclusive private school in Melbourne. Doubt he had any learning issues.

DONGA GUMB LEROY SHAUNYE

WHOS NEXT?

STEVEN KOOPS

Edwards was educated at an exclusive private school in Melbourne. Doubt he had any learning issues.

I went to that school and from experience don’t think my football sense was in any way improved.

https://twitter.com/Shaunye33/status/778122053992013824

Just give us a list of delistings please...no need for this crap.

Why is it crap? Take the time to have respectful discussions with each player and probably give them time to tell their family/friends first… it’s better than rushing in to delist them all a day after our last game

Yeah you dont think they could do that…wait 2 weeks then show us a list of delistings?

Swans into SHAUNYE

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/delisted-essendon-player-shaun-edwards-on-sydney-swans-radar-ahead-of-2016-free-agency-period/news-story/78d77a84143d9f7533c6afbe330da32a

Swans into SHAUNYE

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/delisted-essendon-player-shaun-edwards-on-sydney-swans-radar-ahead-of-2016-free-agency-period/news-story/78d77a84143d9f7533c6afbe330da32a

Hope you go up there and are a star. Good luck.

good on him

Watch the bloke thrive.
Never got a decent run of games to prove worth.
Dead set star handled poorly by Essendon.
Will highlight club deficiencies re: development.
Highlight deficiencies in player management.
The coaches never truly believed in him.
If Hird was still coaching he would’ve made it.
He believed in Shaun’s potential.
Hope he gets picked up by the Swans.
If he does, he’ll be a key player for them.
Go luck!

Really hope this works for him. Absolutely love watching this guy.

Watch the bloke thrive. Never got a decent run of games to prove worth. Dead set star handled poorly by Essendon. Will highlight club deficiencies re: development. Highlight deficiencies in player management. The coaches never truly believed in him. If Hird was still coaching he would've made it. He believed in Shaun's potential. Hope he gets picked up by the Swans. If he does, he'll be a key player for them. Go luck!

Shaun Edwards, yeah?

A dead set star? Shaun Edwards?

Hirdy dropped him how many times last year?

What in the actual fark are you talking about?

Watch the bloke thrive. Never got a decent run of games to prove worth. Dead set star handled poorly by Essendon. Will highlight club deficiencies re: development. Highlight deficiencies in player management. The coaches never truly believed in him. If Hird was still coaching he would've made it. He believed in Shaun's potential. Hope he gets picked up by the Swans. If he does, he'll be a key player for them. Go luck!

With respect, what absolute rubbish, especially the bolded part.

goodluck to him.
But given swans depth, he is the kind of pick they can try as a DFA or a rookie, at his third club he may come good, but not many do.
Low Risk high reward for the swans. Maybe Buddys brilliance will rub off on him.

Leon Cameron didnt believe in his potential
Bomber Thompson didnt believe in his potential
Worsfold didnt believe in his potential
Hird didnt believe he was good enough to make best 22

see a pattern?

How many chances does the kid need before the penny drops?