Free Agency - who will we pickup

I think we should enquire about Bryce Gibbs, and offer him $200K. He'd be expecting $500K plus so it'd be a nice insult.

And as other clubs get in the bidding, keep offering less.

$120K per year is our final offer Bryce.

"Seriosuly?"

$95K now, clocks ticking...........
I'd do it more like this. Hey gibbs, here's your contract, sign here.

[spoiler]joker-s-pencil-trick-o.gif[/spoiler]

Laughed out loud

is sean gregory gonna be an afl footballer?

Wonder if James Kelly would still like to play for the club he barracked for as a kid?

Stants, Zaha and now Merrett fill those ball carrying roles pretty nicely, and he's older than all of them.

PASS.

Not to say he's not a good footballer still.

But he'd be 31 before we got him, he'd probably be in our last 2-3 picked midfield spots, and we've got some good prospects (Ashby, Gleeson, Zerrett - if not Browne & Aylett) still coming through in similar roles. Not a great fit.

Melbourne should be all over him though.

James Frawley asking for $800K a season. He’s barely worth half that, that is money for bona-fide stars, not a full-back.

James Frawley asking for $800K a season. He's barely worth half that, that is money for bona-fide stars, not a full-back.

Tell him he's dreaming.

James Frawley asking for $800K a season. He's barely worth half that, that is money for bona-fide stars, not a full-back.

If Hurley gets 600k, Frawley is probably worth the same.

If Hurley gets 600k, Frawley is probably worth the same.

I wonder if Hurley will be on less mullah when he is out of his contract.

I reckon in a side that wasn't absolutely pathetic, Frawley would develop into the best key defender in the game. 

Not worth 800k, but still worth a fair bit. 

He'd be scary good at Hawthorn. 

With Hurley and Hooker as primary key backs, and Pears and Steinberg as backups, Gregory developing, we really don’t need tall backs.
On Hawthorn, surely some of the space for Franklin was the veteran list status? I forget how they’ve changed that system now.

With Hurley and Hooker as primary key backs, and Pears and Steinberg as backups, Gregory developing, we really don't need tall backs.
On Hawthorn, surely some of the space for Franklin was the veteran list status? I forget how they've changed that system now.

$100k per player with 10+ years on the list. So there would have been some, but not a meaningful amount.

Stants, Zaha and now Merrett fill those ball carrying roles pretty nicely, and he's older than all of them.

PASS.

Not to say he's not a good footballer still.

But he'd be 31 before we got him, he'd probably be in our last 2-3 picked midfield spots, and we've got some good prospects (Ashby, Gleeson, Zerrett - if not Browne & Aylett) still coming through in similar roles. Not a great fit.

Melbourne should be all over him though.

Besides we've raided some veteran talent from the cats will next need to mitchell or mundy from one of the other recent finals teams. another mcveigh maybe?

With Hurley and Hooker as primary key backs, and Pears and Steinberg as backups, Gregory developing, we really don't need tall backs.
On Hawthorn, surely some of the space for Franklin was the veteran list status? I forget how they've changed that system now.

$100k per player with 10+ years on the list. So there would have been some, but not a meaningful amount.
I suppose we hope that if they'd kept Franklin they would have got rid of someone else to free up some space. So they might not have as much room as thought.

I suppose we hope that if they'd kept Franklin they would have got rid of someone else to free up some space. So they might not have as much room as thought.

What ! Hawks have saved 700-800K. They may have spread of that in 2014, but they will still have a war chest. 

If they’ve got a war chest, with the list they’ve got and the number of them they’ve recruited from other clubs, the system is broken.

If Franklin had stayed would they have had the coin for McEvoy? Surely not.

If they've got a war chest, with the list they've got and the number of them they've recruited from other clubs, the system is broken.

Hawthorn would've told Lake, Burgoyne and McEvoy the same thing:

Ie; we will not pay you ridiculous money, but you will not get a better chance at a flag in your career than you will with us. 

It's an absolute no-brainer for those types of players. They will move for basically the same money, they get a genuine shot at a flag and the Hawks give up little to nothing and have cap space to burn to do the same thing over and over as many times as they like. 

Burgoyne was part of a bidding war, $$$, although that was 09 just after Crawford, Croad and a few others retired.

I'm not sure who we should target, but we should definitely be aggressive in going after free agents, we can alleviate much of the damage of the draft penalties if we do this well. A possible cheap target would be Jarrad Waite, depending on how Ambrose develops, who will probably offloaded by Carlton at the end of the year anyway. He'd be a pretty dangerous third tall and we'd likely get a couple of years out of him.

I'm not sure who we should target, but we should definitely be aggressive in going after free agents, we can alleviate much of the damage of the draft penalties if we do this well. A possible cheap target would be Jarrad Waite, depending on how Ambrose develops, who will probably offloaded by Carlton at the end of the year anyway. He'd be a pretty dangerous third tall and we'd likely get a couple of years out of him.

Waite? No thanks, l have had enough of Caaarlton rejects and break downs coming to Essendon and doing SFA, think Justine Murphy, Mathew Allan, Campo. So, thanks, but no thanks. Waite's injury history also mitigates against him.