Free Agency - who will we pickup

Pass on all free agents this year.

That's because next year we will be:

"FLYING THROUGH THE DANGER ZONE"!!!

Since we are still frozen out of the main draft for the first round this year, we still need to stay creative and look at all possible sources for players.

Since we are still frozen out of the main draft for the first round this year, we still need to stay creative and look at all possible sources for players.

I agree but I would be content to go through this off-season with not too many moves and no big ones at that. Possibly go after a key forward and then throw everything at Dangerfield.

He would be the final piece to our puzzle and I think we have been quite smart with our cap management so I can see it being feasible.

I'm not sure who we should target, but we should definitely be aggressive in going after free agents, we can alleviate much of the damage of the draft penalties if we do this well. A possible cheap target would be Jarrad Waite, depending on how Ambrose develops, who will probably offloaded by Carlton at the end of the year anyway. He'd be a pretty dangerous third tall and we'd likely get a couple of years out of him.

Waite? No thanks, l have had enough of Caaarlton rejects and break downs coming to Essendon and doing SFA, think Justine Murphy, Mathew Allan, Campo. So, thanks, but no thanks. Waite's injury history also mitigates against him.
Given their cost, Allan, Murphy and Campo all did all right. The issue was taking older players at that time and delaying the rebuild. On field I think we got value for money from all three.

If they've got a war chest, with the list they've got and the number of them they've recruited from other clubs, the system is broken.

Hawthorn would've told Lake, Burgoyne and McEvoy the same thing:

Ie; we will not pay you ridiculous money, but you will not get a better chance at a flag in your career than you will with us. 

It's an absolute no-brainer for those types of players. They will move for basically the same money, they get a genuine shot at a flag and the Hawks give up little to nothing and have cap space to burn to do the same thing over and over as many times as they like.
To be fair, all three had a solid cost in the form of picks. Offsetting this has been that Hawthorn's trading has been excellent (no real duds) and drafting (given their picks) very good.
But what they also do really well (and Sydney did on the way to their premierships) was identify holes on their lists, and players at other clubs who aren't franchise names they could get cheap. So Hale, Gibson, Gunston all didn't cost that much but really add to their side. THIS is what we need to be doing well.

No free agent but we should trade for josh Simpson

I just want to have it on the record that I was the first to suggest this haha.

I'm not sure who we should target, but we should definitely be aggressive in going after free agents, we can alleviate much of the damage of the draft penalties if we do this well. A possible cheap target would be Jarrad Waite, depending on how Ambrose develops, who will probably offloaded by Carulton at the end of the year anyway. He'd be a pretty dangerous third tall and we'd likely get a couple of years out of him.

Waite? No thanks, l have had enough of Caaarlton rejects and break downs coming to Essendon and doing SFA, think Justine Murphy, Mathew Allan, Campo. So, thanks, but no thanks. Waite's injury history also mitigates against him.
Given their cost, Allan, Murphy and Campo all did all right. The issue was taking older players at that time and delaying the rebuild. On field I think we got value for money from all three.

Justine Murphy was good for his first season and made Bryce Squibbs look like a hard man in his second, woeful. Mathew Allan was a quality player, just too injury prone.

I just want to have it on the record that I was the first to suggest this haha.

Therefore I fully second your motion.

Need a KPF. Don't care if it's in the draft, trade period or free agency.

Someone who can come in and have an immediate impact more importantly and has a mature frame.
Shane Kersten from Geelong could be an option for on the cheap.

Someone who can come in and have an immediate impact more importantly and has a mature frame.

I don't think he will come that cheap. Geelong mates reckon he is rated pretty highly.

I don't think he will come that cheap. Geelong mates reckon he is rated pretty highly.
And he's not really a KPF. Only 190cm.
Would trade our compensation first rounder and a 'steak knives' for Patton.

Fair to say if we got that trade done our entire recruiting department would be instantly inducted into the hall of fame.

Yeah a bit optimistic there I think.
We'd have to give up a Myers or something like that packaged with a pick for someone like Patton.

Dawg your posting quality is good and somehow plummets when it comes to these topics. We could offer that pick (19) and Jobe for Patton and they'd tell us to GAGF.

Dawg your posting quality is good and somehow plummets when it comes to these topics. We could offer that pick (19) and Jobe for Patton and they'd tell us to GAGF.
Just let me dream haha.
It's always going to be hard trading for quality players when we got draft penalties I guess.

They’re not going to let their early picks out though.We should be looking at decent 2nd string kids from GWS.

Not sure if they’ve got a tall kid on the fringe, but they’re not going to get much of a crack.

They're not going to let their early picks out though.We should be looking at decent 2nd string kids from GWS.
Not sure if they've got a tall kid on the fringe, but they're not going to get much of a crack.

So your telling me we need to find a Gumby? Haha but seriously does anyone fit that description.
Is there any mature forwards who could make and impact at AFL level playing in the state comps