Gaming Thread - PM Polydeukes your Gaming IDs

Playing Nioh currently. An absolutely gorgeous game in the vein of dark souls. Its mechanics and combat system seem much more defined and have more depth. Several fighting stances, lots of variables and passive abilities for each weapon. A game that you can lose your life to easily. Cant stress how insanely pretty this game is.

https://twitch.tv/bomberblitzcast

Ha!

Hmm

I have the gear…

I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to gaming and what set up is better than the others although I’m sure it’s all pros and cons for each.

I have 2 boys, 8 yo and 4 yo, who now have a nice, newly transformed play room that was our double garage. Part of the deal was they would get a gaming set up for it for Christmas. My problem is that I have no idea what is best for those ages.

Mr 8 like Minecraft and whatever his school mates tells him is cool. Mr 4 likes whatever Mr 8 tells him to.

My questions: Which gaming set up is best? Why? and can it be used for internet, etc. as well?

Please keep the answers simple for a 40+ yo bloke who prefers to be outside when there is no sport on.

Cheers

Playstation 4 and Xbox One are both probably the best consoles on the market and will be very similar.
I would personally get the PS4, as it has better titles out there to play.

The Nintendo would possibly have more age-relevant games, but i’m not sure.

I’m sure there is some sort of internet comparison video on Youtube wich could help you better than us.

1 Like

in all honesty it doesnt matter. you can watch as many videos as you like but at the end of the day its all pretty much the same, especially if your kids are that young. go with whatever they want/ whatever is cheapest imo

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think we are leaning towards XBox but I really have minimal idea. I mostly worry about online creeps in chat rooms but that can happen on phones, iPads, etc as well. It’s about monitoring and educating more than the platform.

I’ve been around here for a while and reckon I have worked out the rough level of filtering needed for the sarcasm and crap to be able to get a reasonable answer out of the replies. Youtube is a minefield and if I get on there I usually get lead down the path of watching “people are Awesome” or some other random topic.

Mr 8 will want the same console his mates have. It’ll be one of PS4/Xbox/Switch. With Xmas coming up you’ll find some awesome deals.

Don’t get sucked in to buying the premium versions of PS4 (PS4 Pro) or Xbox One (Xbox One X). They’re like $150 more expensive and it will mean literally nothing to your kids. Just get the base version of whichever one.

1 Like

Lots of good deals out now. Amazon/Target/BigW/JB/HarveyNorman are all pricematching each other on bundles.

Check https://www.ozbargain.com.au and search for the console you’re going to buy.

My wife been nagging me about Xmas present for me. I’m tempted to get a Switch for the commute/office (extra tempting with Amex Statement credit from HN)

1 Like

Didn’t the Amex Hn thing finish Nov 30?

2nded.

also is minecraft even good on consoles? haven’t had a console since the 360.

31st Dec :slight_smile:

Hmmm but I can’t find where to register as it seems to be closed now :frowning:

Yeah it got to the max number of cards. :frowning:

I usually add all statement credit deals when they appear so I don’t miss out (in case I decide to get something)

1 Like

This game looks absolutely insane

100% this.

Also, both the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 have parental controls that allow you to restrict as much, or as little, as you like.

1 Like

PUBG on Xbox is awesome, I’ve heard heaps of good things from PC guys. I played it for a while in Pc in early releases but really enjoying it on Xbox

So much fun

PUBG on xbox is not good if compared to PC. Frame rate is at 30 FPS.

Take way to long to loot and config weapons. Too many commands to be condensed in a single controller.

1 Like

I thought that was going to be the case too, but I’m finding it easier to play than I did on the one run I had on pc.

The frame rate isn’t that noticeable tbh, though I’m playing in a One X