Gaming Thread - PM Polydeukes your Gaming IDs

The side quests farked me off had to look up guides to know where to go the clues they give you are vague as fark

Yeah they’re basically designed to only be completable via knowledge gained from community collaboration online/shared discovery.

One of my few dislikes.

1 Like

No I did not. Thanks for the tip

Anyone played the new dwarf fortress (pc only)?

it gets better the more you play as you learn more about what is supposed to happen, how things happen and why.

I watched a thorough guide on how to start it though, which had you running through areas to collect certain items that made the whole game easier.

it gets better, but it’s a massive investment of time and energy to figure it all out.

1 Like

PS5 VR being released in February. Can’t wait.

I was thinking of getting a VR system for the Christmas break (my PS4 VR headset got damaged by a rogue kitten). But I’ll wait it out now.

What’s everyone’s recommendation for a Christmas break game?

Is the Gotham Knights game decent?

It only seems that way because open world games for the last decade have essentially shoved every conceivable waypoint marker onto the map/HUD and heavily dumbed down the idea of natural discovery in games.

Elden Ring isn’t really designed for a compleitonist run through - finding new places, dungeons, weapons, NPCs naturally is half the fun. Which I totally get isn’t for everyone though

2 Likes

Heavily mid

God of War is the go to for Xmas, depending on what you’re into

1 Like

I’ve always loved the God of War series. So that may be the go - thanks!!

I do like a decent RPG game though.

1 Like

You could say this about prior Miyazaki games but Elden Ring side quests go beyond mere ‘anti hand holding’ design.

The prior games you could mostly… organically and with some astute deduction/ natural exploration complete the ‘side quest’ chains.

You can’t do that with some of the side quests in Elden Ring partly because of how huge the map is. The red haired chick with the needle is an example.

I’ve heard Miyazaki interviews and it wouldn’t surprise me if he did it on purpose. He loves people sharing clues, their struggle etc. He also put an item in Dark Souls (pendant) purely as a gag to the online community.

It got better for me, I struggled a lot at the start just not knowing what I was supposed to be doing and dieing constantly to the first main boss. Now I think it deserved game of the year. If you try it again and get stuck at any point, just go explore and come back to the spot you were stuck at later. Also before playing Elden ring I had only ever briefly played dark souls 3, for maybe an hour, and didnt like it.

1 Like

Sound similar to my experience. Maybe I’ll give it another go. Not that it’s the same style but I often find myself enjoying games the second time around. Found that with Cyberpunk, RDR2, Fenyx Immortal Rising.

1 Like

List of Activisions’ games

Only game of interest is Tony Hawk

16 out of 31 are CoD

Doubt MS has any interest in any of the other 15. Most are dead franchises.

Kings Quest??? That brings back memories.

Police Quest was more fun.

3 Likes

How hard? I gave up on Dark Souls coz it was too hard!

GoW Ragnarok is a very good game

Dark Souls is hard but rewarding. If you get the hang of it, you will love it.

1 Like

Gaming industry stats:

• Top Gun: Maverick took $1bn in its first month. The biggest game, “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II”, took the same amount in just ten days.

• the games industry will be worth more than $170bn this year in worldwide revenues, about five times as much as the global box office.

Console Stats:

• 45% of PlayStation owners play the game (CoD), according to midia Research, a data firm.

• Sony has kept PlayStation games such as “Uncharted” and “God of War” off Xbox.

• There is a shift towards subscriptions. (Whilst last place in console sales, Microsoft’s Game Pass) … is well placed in the still-newer one of cloud-based gaming, in which the action is streamed, Netflix-style. Microsoft accounts for 41% of the subscription market, against Sony’s 30% and Nintendo’s 10%, according to Ampere Analysis, another research firm.

So, if this deal goes through and Sony get 10 year access to CoD, I would envisage PS users may slowly drift to Xbox as Microsoft’s GamePass users may get the game first, as part of the subscription price or have some bespoke content unique to them.

Full disclosure: I have an Xbox but I’m not using Game Pass.