Gary ablett jnr

GAZ

Beats are atrocious headphones.

3 Likes

A good leader is a person whom others will follow, blindly in some cases.
A leader who brings very strong beliefs to the table, will alienate a lot of followers. Which can be OK depending on who s/he is leading.
A political party, a business, a group of friends, doesnā€™t matter when people have the choice to follow, or leave.
In the case of AFL footballers, they donā€™t have the choice. They canā€™t leave, at least not in the short term, they are part of a team and they have to play. So if they donā€™t share the same strong beliefs as their leader, they become alienated. You end up have two distinct groups. Thatā€™s not leadership.
In those sorts of cases a really good leader will work with what s/he has and use other avenues to bring the team together.
Gary Abblett Jnr is a great footballer. He is also a strong personality.
I donā€™t think he is very good leader at all.
And I certainly donā€™t want to run the risk of him alienating parts of what is becoming a very solid team, by bringing his very strong beliefs to our group of young players.

3 Likes

At Essendon, we keep our Freemason rituals secret, thank you Gary.

Oh, crap! I shouldnā€™t have divulged our freemasonryā€¦

Oh, crap! I certainly shouldnā€™t have said our rituals were secretā€¦

Ugh. Itā€™s too hot today.

4 Likes

From memory, quite a few Essendon players used to pray before games in the 90ā€™s. We had an in house chaplain, which Iā€™m pretty sure was organised by that divisive catholic leader Kevin Sheedy.

Iā€™m sure in the 50ā€™s the whole team did it tooā€¦

Itā€™s 2017ā€¦times have changed. The youth arenā€™t like they were 30 years ago paul. Society isnā€™t what it was 30 years ago.

1 Like

Thereā€™s still a few churchies at the club. Not that it really matters. Not sure why some think it matters one way or another, let alone that it might be divisive.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve tried to reply to this a few times, but I really donā€™t know what youā€™re getting at.

Itā€™s 2017, the kids have got their insta filters and their snapchats, soā€¦ Now religious beliefs are not tolerated? I missed that totally.

Personally, I would think that intolerance towards somebody elseā€™s own beliefs is far more divisive than a prayer circle.

2 Likes

Pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster if you wish. Just bust your gut on the fieldā€¦

Everybody knows that Essendonism is the one true faith, Sheedy is the Messiah, Joseph Hird currently in exile will one day return with his glorious hair of several colours, and that Wanganeen is JUDAS.

8 Likes

Thats not what weā€™re critising Abblett for. Got nothing to do with his beliefs or intolerance. Itā€™s about isolating and segregating. Itā€™s about his role as a captain, taking a select group away from the main group in isolation and its affect on the rest of his team mates.

The problem here with religious people is they get so defensive in their faith the fail to see the forest for the trees and treat everything as an attack on their faith. What you fail to recognise is human nature. For a religious person, faith trumps everything. For non beleivers, the fall back is human nature and human nature for a non beleiver seeing a small group isolating themselves from the main group. Itā€™s just the way it is, for good or bad.

For arguments sake, lets say you take Abbletts road back to the office this arvoā€¦see how well that goes down with the rest of your workmates.

2 Likes

Amen to that.

If McGrath is the 2nd coming can we expect our hearts to be ripped out when st kilda offer him the captaincy if he request a trade there in his 3rd year?

Iā€™m not sure what you accusing Ablett of doing. I was responding to posts like this, which has everything to do with Ablettā€™s faith.

Iā€™m an atheist, so have no personal stake in this, but some people around here are very intolerant of religious beliefs. Ablettā€™s faith is completely irrelevant to his ability to play football and his relationship with his teammates in my opinion.

2 Likes

Its hard when you got a bible group and 30 coke heads.

Also just posing the question, but arenā€™t his religious views a detriment to his playing because he refuses treatment for most things?

1 Like

He made it part of his relationship with his teammates.

Totally missing my pointā€¦so I give up. I got better things to do, like post in the F@rk Carlton thread.

Personally I canā€™t imagine Fyfe playing anywhere but Freo, as he is a pretty loyal bloke and a WA boy. But take that out of it, if you were a 24-25 year old champion in the absolute prime of your career and you knew your club was probably 5-6 years off their next chance at it, and thatā€™s based on them needing 2-3 years to gut the list, rebuild and then start to become more competitive, youā€™d look at it wouldnā€™t you? He will get paid big coin whoever he plays for, then itā€™s about achieving team success vs loyalty to your current club and not abandoning ship when they are downā€¦

I dunno, discussing religion in a Gary Ablett thread seems like a perfectly fun way to spend a Wednesday morningā€¦

1 Like

love it!

Iā€™m not sure what your point is to be honest. You say Ablett divides and segregates the group, but that it has nothing to do with religious intolerance. Then you go on to explain ā€œthe problem here with religious peopleā€¦ā€ So how does he ā€œdivide and segregateā€ the group?