Gavin Wanganeen

Reminded me of when Ronaldo left United.
That's how good he was. Similar age too. Think Ronny was 24-25 from memory?

Let's leave it for something we all care about.

He’s the type of player that did things better live than on tv … You could almost hear his mind ticking over each change of direction of the ball. Was magic to watch. Was a freak of a player. Probably why I hated port so much.

Man United had bought him fair and square and stuck with him for almost 5 years!!

He’s still ridiculously good looking.

I had a VHS of Wanga highlights that I’d record when they played him on the footy shows.

Was my favourite player in the premiership year.

So, So entertaining.

He brought flair to what was traditionally a battler’s position.

Would mean the world if Tex was a bomber.

Favourite played had 4 on Guernsey. Gutted when he left after kicking point in 1996 prelim.

Followed his career at port and they became my second team while wanganeen hard wick and che cockatoo-Collins were there. Can’t wait for open mike to be added to YouTube.

I know some people won't care and that is fair enough as I think you either love Soccer or you hate it.

But Ronaldo was and still is one of the top 2 players in the world, that is how highly rated Wanga was, you don't win Brownlow's with an average of 17 disposals if you aren't something extraordinary on the football field. Those are insane statistics. He always made something happen when he had the ball.

If you combined all of Dempsey's best attributes, with Winderlich's best attributes, and added Jobe's inside work, Cale Hooker's intercept marking ability and Mark Baguley's balls, and then put it all into a body the size of Michael Gleeson, you'd be getting close to Wanga.

Yep, pretty much spot on. I was explaining to a mates younger sister about Wanganeen. I said imagine his speed off HBF like Dempsey and his tackling like Dempsey, but then also add in his foot skills of like a Winderlich or even a Z Merret, plus courage you would never see.

Favourite played had 4 on Guernsey. Gutted when he left after kicking point in 1996 prelim.
Followed his career at port and they became my second team while wanganeen hard wick and che cockatoo-Collins were there. Can't wait for open mike to be added to YouTube.

1996 Qualifying final vs Brisbane.

I was only fresh out of the womb when he won the brownlow. Looking back at his stats, he only averaged 17.6 possessions a game and kicked only the 5 goals for the year. 

For those who were privileged enough to watch him, what made him so great and which modern AFL player would you compare him to? 

Averaging 17.6 possessions and kicking 5 goals is not bad from a back pocket!

You also have to realise that he only polled 18 votes to win it.

I know some people won't care and that is fair enough as I think you either love Soccer or you hate it.

But Ronaldo was and still is one of the top 2 players in the world, that is how highly rated Wanga was, you don't win Brownlow's with an average of 17 disposals if you aren't something extraordinary on the football field. Those are insane statistics. He always made something happen when he had the ball.

I'd understand if you were talking about Beckham leaving Man U, or CR leaving Sporting, or Rooney leaving Everton etc etc etc. Can't sook about a bigger club buying him when Man U did exactly the same thing in the first place.

I was only fresh out of the womb when he won the brownlow. Looking back at his stats, he only averaged 17.6 possessions a game and kicked only the 5 goals for the year. 

For those who were privileged enough to watch him, what made him so great and which modern AFL player would you compare him to?

And also 17.6 possessions in 1993 is alot difference to 17.6 possessions nowadays.

I'd understand if you were talking about Beckham leaving Man U, or CR leaving Sporting, or Rooney leaving Everton etc etc etc. Can't sook about a bigger club buying him when Man U did exactly the same thing in the first place.

I'm not "sooking". I don't believe it was unfair or wrong of him to do so. Lets not forget he didn't just leave for nothing we received compensation in the form of 80 million pounds for crying out loud :P

I am just merely comparing the quality of each player at the time that they left, the caliber so to speak and what they meant to the club. We were never quite the same after Wanga left, still good but not as good as we were with him in the red and black. Same goes for CR7 when he left United.  

They both left massive shoes to fill when they left their respective clubs. Shoes I don't think anyone could fill.

And also 17.6 possessions in 1993 is alot difference to 17.6 possessions nowadays.

Also from a back pocket. There was no chipping it around the back half back then. Most of those possessions would have been contested.

All the above true.

Ability to consistently beat opponents with "rubber man"  ability one on one,  then escape and do long runs  and kick direct to best option Essendon player in the forward line.

Amazing.

He kicked the greatest "point" in AFL/VFL history too in the 93 GF. If he'd kicked that goal, it would have replaced longy's goal on the run as the most replayed goal of the 90's.  

It was the sh1ttest time ever .

Losing to Sydney in the prelim with that goal to plugger, and then a few days later hearing that Wanga was leaving. Heartbreaking.

The only joy to come from it was Hirdys brown low.

Love ya Gav. Always gonna be one of my favourite players.

Who is/was harder out of he and Bags?

He kicked the best goal I have ever seen a bomber kick one day out at Princes Park. He had sublime skills.

Was gutted when he left, I had. 4 on my jumper and had just comeback from watching the Sydney prelim. Which I still rate as the toughest game I have ever seen live. Both sides tried to kill each other that night. Paul Kelly was incredible, our boys should have been put up on manslaughter charges for what they tried to do to him and he just kept coming!

Wanders was a freak, you don’t get called the ‘rubber man’ for nothing. He used to back into packs that everybody thought he would never get up from, then he would be the first to his feet, cleanly take the footy off the deck, put in a blistering 10 m before lace out passing. And he did it every game.

When Port won that grand final I was so happy for him, so many years of trying and he was such a champ he deserved it. He won them that GF too.

No matter what he did at port I will always remember him as a Bombers Champion.