General AFLW comments and articles

I’m in favour of supporting women’s sport and happy they have a pathway now to follow, but otherwise completely indifferent. I’m fussy about my footy and might stop for 5 minutes to watch a suburban game, but then will get bored with the standard. The women’s game is full of commitment, but as a spectacle it just doesn’t measure up to a standard I’m interested in.

I might change my tune a little if Essendon get a team, and I’ll support them, but can’t imagine ever being as passionate about it.

I worry about the standard of it. I watched the Melbourne and Bulldogs all stars game last year and that was watchable. Just. Now you split 2 teams into 8…i’d be surprised if it’s any good.

I will show zero interest until they win a granny. Then I will for about half an hour.

I actually don’t know that it’ll be financially sustainable in the long term.

I actually don't know that it'll be financially sustainable in the long term.

Thats why i dont want essendon to waste money on it.

Are they going to play games as a curtain raiser to afl games or at a standalone time

The AFL have created this solely for image purposes, so will not watch. You can be as “inclusive” as you like, it doesn’t cancel out being a corrupt dire ■■■■ of an organisation in real life.
In saying that, good luck to the women playing.

Have a look through the teams that have sides. Maybe two of them can afford to pay for the team by themselves. The rest we are supporting through the equalisation fund.

Having said that, I am wrapped for the players. All they can do is make the most of it, and keep improving.

There are a number of womens sports I enjoy watching. No reason this can’t be one of them (well not once EFC get a team anyway).

I’d be interested if we had a team, we don’t, so not really.

Do not care in the slightest

No and No

I care… But I am disappointed Essendon don’t have a team yet.

The standard of women afl players will take a while to develop - that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be supported - you have to start somewhere. There are lots of young girls who love playing footy but when they get to high school age they are either actively discouraged or there is nowhere for them to go. By setting up this comp hopefully it will provide a pathway for girls to continue playing - and that will enable the skills to develop pretty rapidly.
In Darwin a number of teams have a womens comp as well. The standard across a particular side can vary enormously, but many of the women can really play and are great to watch.
If I was in Melb I would definitely go and have a look - though not with the same enthusiasm as I would if Ess had a team.

I was listening to an interview with a guy who is involved in soccer and he was so enthusiastic about the womens comp they have - and how good the standard has become, with the Matilda’s leading the way in providing great role models. He also said that soccer had the highest participation of any other sport in Aus. Possibly the reason the afl was anxious to get the women’s comp up.

The women’s league smacks of desperation from the AFL, and playing catch up against other codes. The AFL has been focused on their babies, Gold Coast and GWS. They’ve come to the party far too late with bringing in a women’s league. Other sports have well and truely offered far more opportunities for sporting pathways. You’ve got the Olympics, you’ve got Commenwealth games, you’ve got world cups, and major international tournaments… all of which the women’s AFL team can’t tap into.

They’ve set the league up so poorly. Plus they are putting restrictions on Women playing other sports, which just shows that’s more about the ‘brand’ and superiority of the AFL. I’m pretty fed up with the footy media big noting the AFL saying it’s going to be the biggest female sport in Australia, when it has done f*ck all to promote participation for women. While sports like Netball, Tennis, Swimming, Soccer, Basketball and Cricket has been providing opportunities at all levels for over 30 years.

I might feel abit differently if there was an EFC side, but right now I only see the AFL trying to completely monopolize the sporting landscape with typical male corporate arrogance.

I was listening to an interview with a guy who is involved in soccer and he was so enthusiastic about the womens comp they have - and how good the standard has become, with the Matilda's leading the way in providing great role models. He also said that soccer had the highest participation of any other sport in Aus. Possibly the reason the afl was anxious to get the women's comp up.

2015 survey of ages 6-13

More detailed figures (also, how big is the participation drop off in teenagers!?)

Neither is the men’s game in a lot of clubs. Doesn’t seem to make any difference to the AFL.

Neither is the men’s game in a lot of clubs. Doesn’t seem to make any difference to the AFL.

Yep. It’s an investment into owning the whole sporting landscape in Australia. It’s not about the Women’s league being self sustainable. The AFL will keep proping it up, if it brings in more viewers to the TV networks.

Couldn’t care in the slightest. F*ck the AFL’s pathetic attempts at corporate social responsibility. I can also see myself not caring at all about an Essendon team as well. Bugger off Gil

No. wont care at all.
Its sort of like womens cricket. I know elise perry goes alright. But do u watch it no. If they make it pregame entertainement then i might watch a bit of it.

I’ll watch it simply because it’s sport and I’ll watch virtually any sporting endeavour except synchronised swimming. I see they want to make cheerleading an Olympic sport, thats definitely in the synchronised swimming basket.

I was listening to an interview with a guy who is involved in soccer and he was so enthusiastic about the womens comp they have - and how good the standard has become, with the Matilda's leading the way in providing great role models. He also said that soccer had the highest participation of any other sport in Aus. Possibly the reason the afl was anxious to get the women's comp up.

2015 survey of ages 6-13

More detailed figures (also, how big is the participation drop off in teenagers!?)
http://www.roymorgan.com/~/media/files/morgan%20poll/2015/march/6123listcustom.png?la=en

Swimming and cycling aren’t sports, they are for rehab and training for actual sports.

I will show zero interest until they win a granny. Then I will for about half an hour.

They’re not going to be that old, are they?