General World News

Wow

1 Like
2 Likes

In more positive news

1 Like

Speaking from Islamabad , MSF rep said that 33 million lives affected, difficulty in getting MSF supplies to them, no coordination in relief efforts.
I imagine it would be doubtful at level of Pakistan Government, did not work too well here initially in northern NSW when floods localised, not covering one third of the country.

1 Like
3 Likes

wow

Probably all crop land and Chicago wheat prices climbing, droughts and Wars in European food bowls.

33% of Pakistan is under water
China has faced one it’s worst heat waves in history and worst droughts in 60 years. This will have major global supply issues. Both Tesla and Toyota have been impacted.

1 Like

Having served there it is painful to see the demise - though not unexpected.

1 Like

What the fark is the motive.

2 Likes

According to UNHCR , Pakistan has been hosting refugees for 40 years and currently has 1.3 million Afghans registered as refugees.
A UN spokesman was near despair the other day, referring to European accomodation of up to 6 million Ukraine refugees, while they argue the toss of sharing the intake of 4O boat people. UNHCR trying to find a country to take a few genuine refugees.
Meanwhile, some of the ones not in detention in Australia have visas which do not have work rights. While there are employment gaps in basic sectors.

4 Likes

A statement by Indigenous leaders indicated the attacks might have been linked to illicit drugs.

“This is the destruction we face when harmful illegal drugs invade our communities,” Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations said.

2 Likes

Lotsa detail missing at this early stage, understandable, so we’ve got no idea whether this was some sort of war between traffickers, or someone having a VERY bad batch, or any of a zillion other possibilities.

But drugs don’t ‘invade’ anything. They’re chemicals, they can’t get drivers licences for one thing. People bring drugs into the communities because they want to take the drugs or else sell them to other people want do. Talking like it’s the drugs themselves causing the problems and not the people is denial.

2 Likes
6 Likes

62 posts were merged into an existing topic: R.I.P Queen Elizabeth II

7.5 magnitude earthquake in PNG, 5 killed, tsunami warning has passed, but tremors in Indonesian archipelago.
Updates are continuing on twitter account of UN OCHA Asia Pacific.
Widely reported in international media, barely a mention in Australian media, where priority currently given to a single event in the UK.

4 Likes

WHO calls for donations to manage outbreaks of cholera in Syria and Pakistan
Russia is placing blockages on UN aid work in Syria via Turkey to Syria.

Cholera, polio and typhoid all real dangers. Plus Pakistan is malaria endemic.

Hopefully aid can get there ASAP.

1 Like

On my first trip to India in 1977, malaria broke out in Dehli during the monsoon. The outbreak was running at 9,000 cases a week, and no one l spoke to batted an eyelid at the figure. I expect Pakistan to have much higher figures than this due to the recent flooding.