Goodbye Holden

Couldn’t possibly be as beautiful as my first car, an EH station wagon.

5 Likes

Bleh. If I’d ever been given one, I would have customised it and removed that horrid boot spoiler immediately.

Ugliest car of that series for mine.yucky

Feel the same way about the VZ. Hate them.

1 Like

I learnt to drive in an FB ute.
I’ve owned-
EK wagon
EK sedan
EH ute
Two EH wagons
EH sedan
HQ wagon with a small block chevy 400
Driving a 2017 commodore sportswagon at the moment.

I’m a little sad on hearing this news.

8 Likes

Oh, I forgot about the Captiva I bought the ex wife.
I was glad to see the back of both of them.

9 Likes

Thats an impressive collection brother.
I wish I had held on to at least one of mine, but alas, no.

Who would have thought those old holdens would be worth so much as we got older.
I can remember back in the day driving out to the Gembrook forest to strip spare parts off some of the old wrecks that were dumped out there to keep mine running.

Good times.

If you feel like buying more, I’ve got plenty of shed space :wink:

1 Like

Sad news, but I think Holden died with the end of the real Commodore. It ceased being an Australian company at that point.

I deeply regret not keeping my old VH SL, had the five speed Borg Warner gearbox behind the 173 Blue because for some bizarre reason Holden decided the box couldn’t handle the extra 10hp of the 202! Lol, strange stuff.

I do have a manual VYii that I think I’ll now have to keep, despite oil running past the valve guides or rings. It’s worth more to me in driving enjoyment than I’d get for it anyway. Anyone know how much a top end rebuild would cost these days? Not sure I could tackle it myself.

Early ones were ■■■■■ and I’m not sure they ever really sorted them.

The Torona was a tough vehicle, the Camira felt soft and tacky. My uncle had one and was forever trying to convince me that front wheel drive was superior. I thought he was a dill. As it turned out, he certainly was, though it wasn’t really restricted to car choice.

2 Likes

Keep it or give it to your kids or friends. My 2003 outback served me so well for many years and I have given it to my daughter who loves it and thrashes the crap out of it on camping trips and general leadfoot excursions. I have no idea where she gets that from, must be her mother.

3 Likes

Me - EH wagon, HT Monaro, HQx2, HJ, HX, VK

1 Like

Gee Toyota have really dominated the Australian market when you think of it.

Cars we have owned corolla , 80 series, 100 series, Camry hybrid, even the lexus rx330 and the new lexus nx hybrid .

They know how to make a car and cover all aspects of the market.

What an impressive company

2 Likes

This is what I drove in the 80s. Not my pic but mine was pretty much identical to this.

4 Likes

bought the EK after some farker stole my first car, red LC:

3 Likes

show us ya rides @BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS

1 Like

Yeah, TBH, I actually bought it with the G Son in mind, and gave it to him for his 16th B/Day (Well, the key at least at this point.)

5 Star ANCAP rating still., … and he can Camp etc, … but more importantly, chuck a Mattress in the back when he goes to Parties, and never need to drive drunk.

Snipped it for $500, bucks, & scored the VRS kit it needs for half that through my Mechanic Cousin. (Typical Subi Boxer Head Gasket drama)

Motors out, … he just needs to get his shitt together and come & help do the job & learn a bit about how to use tools and fapp about on Cars, (One front Guard shop trolley dent to sort out as well). & she’s ready to roll, … & it sure as hell aint happening without him. :smirk:

Great car to get for your kids first. It’s great to drive. Well ahead of it’s time.

Edit: Did I say Fapp??

I meant Faff. (Same same?? :laughing:)

1 Like

Nice idea… Has this worked for anyone though.

I mean the love of repairing and refurbing cars?

You may be waiting a while as your grandson ranks up in fortnite.

No offence intended here… Just how i see it

1 Like

My son has a 1983 Corolla which he is gradually fixing up. It’s a money pit but he loves it. He’s really into old Japanese cars and wouldn’t go near a Holden.

1 Like

He’s gone past that, … but his Mum & Dad bought him his own full set up and GTA whatever the fk the latest one is, … so I fear you may be right.

But he does love getting in the water though, so a couple of weeks Surfing, working on his own car, along with some Shark Fishing & having some quality time with an Old School old guy is looking pretty likely I think.

Depends if he can handle spending that long away from his GF, … & I couldn’t blame him TBH. :laughing:

1 Like

My only Holden was an HR, which l bought for $1000, it had a smaller than stock engine, but coated inside with fish oil meant it had no rust.

My sister had a green HQ Monara with the V8. Good looking beast it was too.

2 Likes

1st car was a HG, 2nd a HT. Then happily went 20 years without a Holden, but having to tow a boat I somehow ended up with a Jackaroo that’s still going strong.

Learned to drive in an HK Kingswood with three on the tree. First car was an LJ Torana, then a Camira, then back to the HK. I then had a manual VL that went like the stink before I was given company cars so a VT and then VY wagon. Four kids unfortunately ended the Commodore story for me.