GWS Players - Who do we want?

I remember seeing Will slot 5 straight against the doggies in the final rd last year, while the rest of the clubs are battling for Shiel and Treleor we might be lucky enough to sneak in and pinch W H-E.

Went pick 4 and oozes class so he wont come cheap, hope Sheeds can produce some magic and get him across.

Quoted Post

I still want Hoskin - Elliott

Agree. Very talented.

I love Bugg too..
Love Bug 2: Herbie goes to Monte Carlo

I think your coat is over there …

I’ll get his coat for him…

I love Bugg too..

I think your coat is over there …

Bugg is an angry carnt- Something we need more of on our list.

Question mark over his skills

Bugg is an angry carnt- Something we need more of on our list.

Bugg looks like a Sheedy era, Essendon player. The mold of Mark Harvey & Damien Hardwick. Want, for this reason.

I think Bugg and Tomlinson. It seems Calrton might get Tomlinson. I’d rather see us go for him than Luenberger. Understanding Luenberger may not require a trade but it still could hurt us if Stanton and/or Dempsey leave.

I love Bugg too..
I love Bugg too.. Would flourish in a team with some more mature players around him

Melbourne are into him , to trade every club has to give up something of value .
Dawes has to be off loaded at a cost of rumoured to be half a million a year .
How many clubs have salary cap space?
They also have to make way for melkshams cost ,its not simple to trade.
I like Bugg .

Would have to consider any of GWS mids we could get our hands on i reckon

Cooney plus The Langford (the actual trade) wouldn’t be on Ryder money combined.

Is probably worth it, tbh. The kid is an extraordinary talent and is only just starting to show how good he can be after a few injury-hit years.

$750k isn’t QUITE what it used to be, in AFL salary terms. The salary cap is somewhere around the $10m range these days, plus at any given time every club probably has something like 30-40% of their list on very low draftee or rookie salaries, and most have a few veterans which let them squeeze an extra $100k-odd each of player payments into the cap.

Many clubs will find that sort of money if he’s on the market. Pies will have salary cap space after losing Beams. Blues will probably have a cleanout this year, and will certainly have room too (who could they POSSIBLY be paying big salaries to anyway?) Saints have cleared a few big names over the past couple of years, they probably have a war chest. I would have thought that for us, Ryder out/Cooney in would have been pretty much a break even deal from a salary cap point of view, but fog assures me we’ve got a lot of cap space, so I’d be very disappointed if we’re not in his ear.

Cooney wouldn’t be on Ryder money, surely?

Is probably worth it, tbh. The kid is an extraordinary talent and is only just starting to show how good he can be after a few injury-hit years.

$750k isn’t QUITE what it used to be, in AFL salary terms. The salary cap is somewhere around the $10m range these days, plus at any given time every club probably has something like 30-40% of their list on very low draftee or rookie salaries, and most have a few veterans which let them squeeze an extra $100k-odd each of player payments into the cap.

Many clubs will find that sort of money if he’s on the market. Pies will have salary cap space after losing Beams. Blues will probably have a cleanout this year, and will certainly have room too (who could they POSSIBLY be paying big salaries to anyway?) Saints have cleared a few big names over the past couple of years, they probably have a war chest. I would have thought that for us, Ryder out/Cooney in would have been pretty much a break even deal from a salary cap point of view, but fog assures me we’ve got a lot of cap space, so I’d be very disappointed if we’re not in his ear.

This.
We need another gun young mid to join the likes of Hepp and Zerrett (potentially Laverde too). Sick and tired of seeing Pies/Hawks/Cats luring those type of players easily back to their home-state whilst we only attract 30 year olds.

Throw whatever we have at Treloar/Shiel/Aish and let’s get the next tier of mids up and running post Jobe/Stants/BJ/Coons etc.

Compare that to what they got for Everitt or Wakelin. Hall was obviously younger when he went.

Still, it does show that you can get valuable picks. If Belly went for enough, given his age, if we’re down the bottom, a top 10 pick could be on the cards.

…15 years ago. In 2000 there were 16 picks a round, priority picks, no free agency, only 1 or 2 recruiters a club, and Fremantle, Richmond & Carlton offered high picks for just about anything that moved.
Maybe not completely irrelevant, but pretty damned close.

Not to mention the Wakelins were 26 when they left, and already established key position players - who almost always get a higher premium on them.

Do you think any club would ever offer pick 25, for a trade for a 30 year old Nick Dal Santo? I can’t remember the last time a player that time got traded for less than pick 70 (ie a token trade to get them where they wanted to go) ?

Does Essendon trading pick 37 for a 29 y.o. Adam Cooney sort of count?

It’s worth taking into consideration, similar level player, better injury history.
I reckon value just about halves every year after 28 (so Cooney would’ve been pick ~19 at 28, ~70 as a 30 year old).
Getting pick 25 for a 30 year old is very, very good darts either way.

I’d think we could afford it over a 5 year deal, with a bit of back loading. We’ve got more quality on its way out than on its way up.

Would pay top dollar for Treloar.

I’d also put this in the Non_Essendon or Trading thread :wink:

Hoskin-Elliott thanks

The two mentioned above would be my picks, far and away. Treloar/WHE. Both will be super stars.