Health & Fitness

My flexibility is shocking. Getting knee pains via the amount of muscle tightness through my lower back and hips. But 'just doing stretches' is super boring, any good videos/courses online I should follow?
My flexibility is shocking. Getting knee pains via the amount of muscle tightness through my lower back and hips. But 'just doing stretches' is super boring, any good videos/courses online I should follow?

Search the YouTubes for Kelly Starrett/Mobility WOD (just be prepared to sift through over 500 videos) or Donnie Thompson

Ta

A good compilation of lifts (in competition and training) from last month. Khudayarov passing out after his dead lift was just as entertaining as his WR squat :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSjFZSxSLEI

Lol Chris Papillion from the vid competed in July - now in jail
Pretty sure he may have even skipped a court hearing to compete at GPC worlds haha

Jail? Jeez, thatā€™s no good. Hope he can sort himself out. Heā€™s a good lifter.

Search the YouTubes for Kelly Starrett/Mobility WOD (just be prepared to sift through over 500 videos) or Donnie Thompson

My flexibility is shocking. Getting knee pains via the amount of muscle tightness through my lower back and hips. But ā€˜just doing stretchesā€™ is super boring, any good videos/courses online I should follow?

A good compilation of lifts (in competition and training) from last month. Khudayarov passing out after his dead lift was just as entertaining as his WR squat :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSjFZSxSLEI

Lol Chris Papillion from the vid competed in July - now in jail
Pretty sure he may have even skipped a court hearing to compete at GPC worlds haha

Seeing as the end of the year is fast approaching, I am just curious to know what peopleā€™s health and fitness goals are for the year ahead?

Is there anything that you would like to improve/maintain or events that you intend on training for?

Iā€™ve had a strong year in the gym and am finally able to say that I look and feel the way Iā€™ve wanted to for a longtime. Gotten my weight down from 87kg (25% Body Fat) last December to 68 kg ( 15% Body fat). Hoping to stay in the same condition but stack on a bit of lean muscle this year.

Keep training hard people, just think of the Christmas cheat feast ahead!

Iā€™ve started running as well as continuing to lift (although less lifting now) with the goal of doing the Melb Marathon in 2015. Started run training about 5 weeks ago and havent missed a beat so far. Doing the R4TK in March and the Run Melbourne half marathon in July on the way, figured I better do it before I hit the big 5 Ohhhhh.

I've started running as well as continuing to lift (although less lifting now) with the goal of doing the Melb Marathon in 2015. Started run training about 5 weeks ago and havent missed a beat so far. Doing the R4TK in March and the Run Melbourne half marathon in July on the way, figured I better do it before I hit the big 5 Ohhhhh.

Awesome stuff! Keep training hard.

Check out the Original Strength (originalstrength.net) and look at their rocking routines. I removed the constant pain I had in my knees from over 40 years of footy, basketball and the joys of the Army just by doing the six point rocking with my feet dorsiflexed (look it up). This stretches the ligaments that run from the knee down into the foot and feels great! I never thought I would be able to kick a footy again, it was that sore.

Also kettlebells have fixed my shoulders that were stuffed! I couldnā€™t throw a ball my right shoulder was so stuffed up. Drying my hair would make them pop outā€¦ Now they are tight as, and the dogs are happy again.

Is there a point at which maintaining close to theshhold heart rate does more harm than good?

Everyone goes on about interval training, but the guys I ride with just love to smash it for as hard and long as possible. The other morning my HR was over 180 for about 40 minutes straight. Thatā€™s crazy right?

Thatā€™s really really high. I might touch 160 during interval training, mainly sitting around 140-150. Guess if your heart hasnā€™t exploded yet you might be OK.

How are you measuring that HR?

Heart Rate Monitor on my chest down to my Garmin.

My max is supposed to be 190 and Iā€™ve gone over that for seconds at a time during a hill climb or something, but yeah sustaining over 180 for that long felt like insanity.

ā– ā– ā– ā–  is going down in Russia lol

Cliffs - gold medallist from London Olympics claims head of Russian anti doping is corrupt. Reporters expose a cover up by Russia of doping by a marathon runner. Russian anti doping ā€œhappensā€ to find evidence of her doping and bans her for 2 years

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Eastie_Boi regarding QuoteLink
This thread has been pretty quiet. Everyone letting themselves go over the holiday period lol?

Quite update on how Iā€™ve been going training wise:
Finally bench more than a little girl. Now have a 125kg bench done in competition.
My squat has moved to around 245-250 for a single, although my deadlift has been suffering lately.
Iā€™m not sure whether thereā€™s a little injury Iā€™ve picked up but havenā€™t noticed or my hip mobility has gone to ā– ā– ā– ā–  but hopefully I can get on top of it sooner rather than later
Bodyweight is consistently up around 86-87kg which is a good 10kg heavier than I was this time last year

ā– ā– ā– ā–  nice work!

I havenā€™t been lifting heavy lately, pretty much just maintaining over the holiday period. Too much partying.

You know what I say about maintaining?
If youā€™re not moving forwards youā€™re going backwards lol

My friend from America just squatted 190kg, benched 100kg and deadlifted 212.5kg

Not bad for a 57kg female :lol:

Pretty interesting presentation re: PEDs from a U.S doctor/professor

Had my first full (and official) comp in a while.
Didnā€™t run quite as planned but as always you learn a few things

• just aiming for PBs and not worrying about ā€˜winningā€™ is all well and good. however, if conditions for lifting are ā– ā– ā– ā–  then you need to compare yourself to your competition on the day (I got smashed regardless lol)
  • you donā€™t need to PB all 3 lifts to end up with a total (3 lift combined) PB
  • lifting in what is effectively a sauna is extremely draining
  • losing 3kg in a month due to being sick definitely does not help your strength level (I actually lost almost 5kg in a fortnight but managed to put a couple back on)
  • if you feel like you havenā€™t squatted heavy very often leading up into the comp; itā€™s probably the case
  • if one of your tester exercises (in this case rack pull) suggests that your lower back is weak/injured (based off the number you hit) you probably shouldnā€™t ignore it

Iā€™m not sure how instagram embeds work so hopefully you can view

The elusive graham Ely squatting 235kg @miss_emma_jb @gracievanasse

A video posted by Adam Lam (@adamklam) on Feb 22, 2015 at 7:58am PST

Third bench attempt, red lighted (2:1) for bar dip @gracievanasse

A video posted by Graham Ely (@k.latch88) on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:27pm PST

Nothing like a 12 second grinder @gracievanasse

A video posted by Graham Ely (@k.latch88) on Feb 22, 2015 at 1:22am PST

Anyone go or going to the Arnold this weekend?
Had a few friends competing in the powerlifting but was mainly interested in the strongman.
Got to see Eddie Hall destroy a 462kg deadlift, and Brian Shaw carry a 410kg car 50m in under 18 seconds which was pretty sweet

Ive started hitting the gym again the last 4 weeks, basically I can go at lunch time during work, but the catch is after getting there and still needing to eat lunch, I only get 25 mins a workout.

Coming from being pretty unfit (eat and drink too much, 89kg and prolly 9kg overweight) thatā€™s long enough to wreck me.

Basically I donā€™t have any overall long term goals, other than to be generally fit, like if someone wanted me to play a game of cricket or basketball, or go for an easy 5k run, I wouldnā€™t be scared because of how sore I would be afterwards.

Anyway, Ive been avoiding cardio because I sweat heaps and I doā€™nt want to be sweating for an hour afterwards back at work, so a typical workout would be as follows.

2 mins on the rowing machine

Squat: today was 10x40, 8x60, 8x70. Working my way up, focussing on form.

Bench: 10x40, 10x50, 10x50

Chins: 6 single chins,with say a 5 second rest (on the ground), plus a tiny jump to get started. Then onto the assisted chin machine.

Seated row: 6x40, 8x33, 8x26

500m incline run.

Thats about all i could fit in. Usually I deadlift too but skipped it today, sometimes I do bent rows.

Anyway, I want to keep mixing it up so I donā€™t get bored, and Iā€™m not expecting amazing results in 3x25mins a week, but whats some stuff I can do to knacker myself? Ive been eyeing off the sled pusher, and the plyo(?) boxes? They have a pool too but with getting changed etc Iā€™d probably only have about 10mins.

@ wannabe

Definitely gotta get yourself some prowler flu