Health & Fitness

and a healthy diet is the best for overall good health

as they say - “exercise cannot fix a bad diet”

What one continually hears about diet is all concentrated on “Eat better”. It’s usually coupled with”Exercise more”. And both are good things to promote.

But far ahead of them in this increasingly obese nation should be “Eat less”. For some reason that seems to be mentioned very rarely, and with far less emphasis that Eat better and Exercise more. But really it should be first and very much foremost.

I’m waiting for Megz to weigh in.

1 Like

If I need to separate the two, I look at it as diet for health and exercise for quality of life.
I really don’t like to separate the two though.
It’d be like having a wedding with no groom to remove one.
People might have a good time but it’s just not the same.

2 Likes

Its diet.
I run sometimes 100kms a week, and dont lose any weight, eat too much.
Running/exercise helps you maintain weight i think diet helps you lose it.

1 Like

I don’t a co worker who is obese and ■■■■■■■■ about her weight to eat less. She was not happy hut really what else is going to make you lose weight than eating less?

Well ultimately it’s calories in vs calories expended. Running 100km expends a hell of a lot of calories and you’d do yourself harm if you didn’t replace them. Footballers eat enormous quantities because they expend enormous quantities. But the average adult male with an office job expends about 2000 calories per day, which doesn’t equate to a vast amount of food.

Maybe something like Lite n Easy would work. The problem is that someone who really is obese will probably be eating triple or more the number of calories she needs, so shifting abruptly to the 1600 or whatever calories they give her would involve a vast lifestyle change and she would be ■■■■■■ hungry for a while until she adapts. The temptation to have just one muffin just this once would be immense. I really admire the people who decide that they’re going to take themselves in hand and then really follow through with it. It requires real strength of will.

1 Like

I like this plan best personally.

“Eat good, not too much, mostly plants”

Weight loss wise the evidence suggests diet is more important but people who lose large amounts of weight and keep it off tend to do a lot of exercise.

Seriously, as long as you’re not cutting out nutrients follow the diet you can stick to.

3 Likes

Q- training through delayed onset muscle soreness?

Does it increase risk of injury?

Thx

Ps-im doin f45

1 Like

Nah

i would say no…if it is easy/moderate effort.
Best thing for Doms is light jog/ a little bit of excercise imo

My diet isnt too bad.

What do you drink?

Ok, here’s the executive summary or my boring weight loss book I will never write. Your mileage may vary but this is what worked for me…

See the thing is, if your healthy weight is, say, 75kg, but you weigh 100kg, then start eating/exercising like a 90kg person. When you get to 95kg, start eating etc like an 85kg person, and so on. People who are 25kg overweight didn’t get there by having the odd muffin, they did a lot of naughty stuff consistently for a long time.
During this process, you will be a bit hungry. Suck it up. Trendy diets tell you that you don’t have to be hungry, but let’s be serious. Hunger is usually only short term. Just hang out until your next meal. Have a cup of tea, drink water, or go for a walk or exercise. You don’t get hungry mid run or at the gym, you get hungry sitting on your ■■■■ at work or watching TV. After a while you won’t notice, and that meal that didn’t seem big enough will be just fine.
Habits are key. Saying yes to choc and chips and alcohol and fast food etc is a habit, so is saying no. Once you start seeing results it gets a lot easier too. Same with exercise. Don’t think “hmmm maybe I will work out today, we’ll see”. Your workouts for the week should be planned already, clothes/shoes should be packed etc. if something extraordinary comes up that prevents you from working out, you should be ■■■■■■ off, and already be working out a way to catch up on it (farkton of push ups, double session tomorrow, extra kms spread over the next few runs, etc).
I like running, I also like lifting, and I can do it on alternate days. I don’t mind circuit training either. Say rowing, sled pushes, battle ropes, ball slams, skipping, box step ups, farmers walks etc. Mixing it up can cover off some muscle groups that can get missed with other training.
Also, find healthy foods you like. Turns out I like broccoli sweet potato corn hummus tuna baby spinach bananas apples lettuce four-bean-mix eggs berries which gives me plenty of options for salads and smoothies and snacks that I love, but not enough to over eat.
Alcohol, well that’s my kryptonite. When I’ve given up alcohol for an extended period my fitness goes to another level, but start drinking again just Friday Saturday Sunday and the abs disappear and that bit of muffin top comes back, along with the poor food choices, lack of motivation and the couple of extra kgs.
/pedestal

2 Likes

You are dead right about many things. First, a person who has spent 15 or 20 years becoming grossly obese can’t expect to become tight and fit in six months. Second, yes, if you eat less than you are used to eating, you will feel hungry; there are ways to take your mind off it but in the end you have to tell your body to shut up and get used to it. Third, habit is everything. I read once that hunger is in fact a habit, and to a certain extent that’s true: if you have a mid-morning snack of cake or biscuits (or a bucket of chips, like a former co-worker of mine) every day for years and you suddenly stop having it, then you will get hungry mid-morning; but after a few days you’ll be used to not having the snack and you won’t be hungry. Fourth, you have to change your priorities and put exercise at the top of the list, so that you fit other things around exercise rather than trying to squeeze in a quick walk in between everything else (such as sitting on the couch watching TV). And fifth, you are absolutely dead right, alcohol is a killer. It’s full of calories, and it kills motivation.

1 Like

Only did 3:09 in the marathon.
1:30:30 first half, but blew out a little second half 1:38:39

4 Likes

You’re disappointed.

In your position I would be very proud.

Somewhat dissapointed, it was ok.
I had a mate aiming for sub 3 so thought would run with him first half, which probably cost me a bit if I had tried to run a even split marathon 1:32, although may not have done much better. Mate ended up about a minute ahead of me.

Its all about perspective, I had a friend who DNF the half marathon pulled out at 12kms, a mate who went sub 3 for first time in the marathon, and knew lots of people who ran PB’s.
Had a mate who did the 100km event, and i got him 2 cheeseburgers and a chocolate thick shake at 70kms, he downed them (didnt spew) and finished the 100kms not much over 10 hours… It was inspirational to see those guys/girls finish

Sooooo… 2 cheeseburgers and a thickshake 70 km into a 100 km run.

That was the Runners World recommendation, was it? Or Men’s Health?

Impressive effort to keep it down I must say. And to keep running!

Just as a comparison, if I’m feeling good I can do 10km in an hour. Once. Doing it 10 times non-stop is definitely something else.

Be fair…he did stop…for 2 cheeseburgers and a shake.