Bursitis. I did it over-training and most likely from using poor form and not giving it enough rest.
think youd be able to clean that out with a shoulder arthroscopy. if you need a good surgeon, there are some on here that are in the know :ph34r: (or can ask around for you)
Thanks. Surgery will be my last resort. Hopefully the long lay-off and jabs have done their job. I would be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar issue and come back and how it has been since.
there's an extremely highly reccomended physio in st. kilda by the name of barry murray, who is a powerlifter himself by trade, that i'm going to see next week. think he has a 300kg+ squat to his name. had some great reviews from those with pretty ordinary injuries who he has helped avoid surgery and get back into lifting safely.
yep. by all means see all the people you can before you see a surgeon, as generally, they recommend surgery. shoulder arthroscopies are pretty common, but from what i saw the recovery and rehab was not something to look forward to.
After going to PTC they put me on this program which has been pretty good. It's basic, with lots of focus on upper back as it was the weak link when my squats started to get heavy.
Workout A:
Squats 5 x 10
Bench 2 x 7
Barbell rows 3 x 12
DB bench 3 x 12
Hammer Chins 3 sets to failure
Workout B
Squats 2 x 20
OHP 5 x 5
DB Rows 5 x 10
Lunges 3 x 10
Chin ups 3 sets to failure
Workout C
Squats 3 x 10
Bench 5 x 5
Deadlifts 3 x 3
Chin ups 2 sets to failure
DB Rows 3 x 10
Definitely noticing an improvement in upper back strength and general posture. Does get tough doing 120 working reps of squats each week though.
Soooo I've started lifting, just a simple weight program I found off a site somewhere and i've been doing it now for 6 weeks and starting to see some results. I lift 3 days and do cardio 3 days (well I miss a few days here and there) but generally thats the deal for the past 6 weeks.
My question is about supplements, currently I take nothing, no multi vitamins, no protein powders nothing.
At the age of mid 40's what can I/should I be adding to my diet to help with recovery (besides AOD-9064 which i hear really helps with tendon recovery ;) ).
You try doing 8-10 doubles with 60% of your max + bands in under 12 minutes, but each rep has to be done in 2 seconds
I personally find if I’m doing multiple low rep sets I tend to be more aggressive with each rep vs if I have to do 10 the first few I’ll “coast” to give me more energy for the last couple of reps
Not ideal when your sport only lasts 4 seconds at a time lol
Haha yeah. I’m only 30kg off with an extra 6kg bodyweight and a canvas suit
Bursitis. I did it over-training and most likely from using poor form and not giving it enough rest.
think youd be able to clean that out with a shoulder arthroscopy. if you need a good surgeon, there are some on here that are in the know :ph34r: (or can ask around for you)
Thanks. Surgery will be my last resort. Hopefully the long lay-off and jabs have done their job. I would be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar issue and come back and how it has been since.
I had the same problem, and had one jab and it did nothing so I stopped it.
for like a month I did a bit of extra work with light weights on rotator cuff exercises/stretching and haven't had it since.
Others who have more knowledge might be able to to direct you to more/advanceed movements, but I basically did the first two exercises in the video, and it helped (I just did a quick search for a video)
Holy ■■■■! Just heard from a friend that trained at Westside recently there that one of the guys did 380kg x 3. Good mornings! And with a cambered bar which makes it harder!
Currently experimenting with different training methods.
My main goal is to put on lean weight/muscle - as previously for the past 6 months I was eating as much as possible (dirty bulk?) without really caring what it was. I found that while I did put on weight and muscle, I put on quite a bit of fat as well (particular stomach).
I'm now trying something like this out:
Train 2 x a day 4-5 times a week. Morning = cardio, after work = weights.
The cardio is basically high intensity training and some ab work:
Either 1. Pyramid training on an exercise bike, or 2. Interval training on the rowing machine.
The goal is to burn fat while not really losing too much weight.
The weights after work is pretty much: 3 x 6-8 reps bench press/squats/deads/military press/dips. I used to be one for working 1-2 body parts per day, but found that I'd skip out on legs a lot and rather just consistently work everything out.
My diet: Breakfast = Weet-bix, snack = an apple, morning tea + lunch 250 grams chicken breast + veggies, then I'll take my pre-workout and hit the gym, protein shake and dinner after (250g meat + veggies + some brown rice).
What are your thoughts? My main questions are around how effective this training will be? And are there any other options you'd substitute into my diet.
Depends what you mean by cardio work. How long and how intense is your cardio session? What's your exercise bike's rough estimate of calories burnt during your typical cardio session?
If you're just trying to burn fat, you can do a lot by just bumping up the cardio difficulty. When I'm working out seriously (or at least as seriously as I get, I'm not in Eastie's league!) my bike session is 50 minutes, about 4 times a week, using a pyramid/interval progam. The bike calls that approx 1000/1100 calories burnt, which is over half my daily intake, and the weight just melts off. Especially if you swap the brekkie cereal for low-fat yoghurt, and don't eat any significant amount of carbs until dinner.
So I’m not looking to lose weight, just burn fat - get those abs showing. My cardio is HIT, 20 mins max per session.
Pyramid: 5 min warm up, 30 sec sprint, 1 min rest, 45 sec sprint, 1 min rest - peaks at 90 sec sprint. Then 5 min cool down.
Any tips on some healthy “snacks” post-dinner also? I find I’m stumped on what to snack on after a big meal when I get peckish. Any other dietary ideas?
back in training today for the first time after f*cking my back about six weeks ago. starting slow and on a strict rotation of exercises, in conjunction with pilates to get the bits and pieces of the back where they belong
i should be able to get back into deadlifting and squatting at around the 20-24 week mark all going well
going pretty well though, literally couldn't move for the first two or three weeks but been steadily improving since. should know after the two month mri if everything is healing properly
if you want to gain weight consume more energy than you expend
if you want to lose weight consume less energy than you expend
how/what energy is consumed does not affect weight loss or weight gain
the type of energy consumed WILL affect your health however
a “dirty bulk” has nothing to with what you eat and everything to do with how much energy you consume over what you need to maintain a constant body weight
you can dirty bulk and get fat on “clean” foods
you can cut and lose fats on “dirty” foods
you can drop body fat with no “cardio”
if you’re like me and carry fat on your stomach forget having noticeably visible abs for more than a few weeks at a time unless you want to get sick or get on the gas
the body doesn’t like change; if you gain/lose a lot of weight it will take 6-9 months for your body to adjust to the change. Until that point expect it to do everything it can to get back to the way it was
for the simpletons like me, google some articles/interviews with Stan Efferding (275lb raw powerlifting record holder and professional body builder)
Eastie is 100% right about the absolute baseline of fat loss - the more that calories burnt exceeds calories ingested, the faster you'll lose fat. The best advice I ever got in this department is that high-intensity isn't the best way to maximise calories burnt, simply because you fatigue too fast.
If I do a high-intensity workout burning 1500cal/hr for example, I'll be rooted after 20 mins and will burn 500 calories. But if I dial down the intensity just a bit to 1200 cal/hr, for example, I can keep it up for three times as long and will burn the full 1200cal.
Obviously there's other factors in play here - whether you can find the time to put in a full hour of cardio, for instance. But it's REALLY hard to do cardio to a high-enough intensity that you can burn 1k calories in a 20 minute session. High-intensity might improve your VO2 etc better, but for fat burning, best dial the difficulty down a bit and put in more time.
Edit: my calorie counts are based on the readout of my exercise bike and are probably as dodgy as hell. But they're a useful way of measuring the effectiveness of workout A vs workout B when both are done on the same bike.