That fat burning isn’t true.
While a 20 minute session may not burn as many calories, it will hike up your metabolism which burns calories for a longer period of time.
What sort of exercises you doing Nandoz?
On the topic of weight loss or weight gain:
- if you want to gain weight consume more energy than you expend
- if you want to lose weight consume less energy than you expend
- how/what energy is consumed does not affect weight loss or weight gain
- the type of energy consumed WILL affect your health however
- a "dirty bulk" has nothing to with what you eat and everything to do with how much energy you consume over what you need to maintain a constant body weight
- you can dirty bulk and get fat on "clean" foods
- you can cut and lose fats on "dirty" foods
- you can drop body fat with no "cardio"
- if you're like me and carry fat on your stomach forget having noticeably visible abs for more than a few weeks at a time unless you want to get sick or get on the gas
- the body doesn't like change; if you gain/lose a lot of weight it will take 6-9 months for your body to adjust to the change. Until that point expect it to do everything it can to get back to the way it was
- for the simpletons like me, google some articles/interviews with Stan Efferding (275lb raw powerlifting record holder and professional body builder)
weight lose is definately interesting, albeit a hard challenge.
There's alot that seems to make sense, even if it isn't actually correct.
As they say everyones different, and just find what works for you, some people can do HIT and lose just as much as others who only walk a medium brisk walk.
The joys of the human body haha
That fat burning isn't true.
While a 20 minute session may not burn as many calories, it will hike up your metabolism which burns calories for a longer period of time.
If you work to exhaustion over 60 mins you'll get damn near the same metabolic boost as you would through working to exhaustion over 20 mins, and you'll burn more through pure exercise in the meantime. Gaming your metabolism can make your exercise more time-efficient, but for sheer energy output there's nothing quite like simply going longer.
But yeah, tootling along within your comfort zone for an hour not breaking a sweat won't do you all that much good.
What sort of exercises you doing Nandoz?
On the topic of weight loss or weight gain:
- if you want to gain weight consume more energy than you expend
- if you want to lose weight consume less energy than you expend
- how/what energy is consumed does not affect weight loss or weight gain
- the type of energy consumed WILL affect your health however
- a "dirty bulk" has nothing to with what you eat and everything to do with how much energy you consume over what you need to maintain a constant body weight
- you can dirty bulk and get fat on "clean" foods
- you can cut and lose fats on "dirty" foods
- you can drop body fat with no "cardio"
- if you're like me and carry fat on your stomach forget having noticeably visible abs for more than a few weeks at a time unless you want to get sick or get on the gas
- the body doesn't like change; if you gain/lose a lot of weight it will take 6-9 months for your body to adjust to the change. Until that point expect it to do everything it can to get back to the way it was
- for the simpletons like me, google some articles/interviews with Stan Efferding (275lb raw powerlifting record holder and professional body builder)
been given the OK to ease back into bench, standing shoulder press, arm work, side raises etc.
no back work, no sitting, no squatting and definately no deadlifting for a little while yet. can go very light on a front lying DB row though, as well as a hammy curl and calf raises. have been told to avoid lunges too, so RIP quads :)
really starting from scratch though, definitely not taking any chances as i know the risks, but i need to do something... and i ******* despise running!
Damn no sitting lol?
Swimming is always good for rehab and when you can get back on a bike. Started riding to/from the gym on a bmx and my quads grow just looking at the bike now lol
Quad extension will be your friend too until you are able to do bigger exercises eg squats
Be careful of standing overhead presses too. I (and many others) find them more taxing on the back than squatting
2 plates+
Eastie is 100% right about the absolute baseline of fat loss - the more that calories burnt exceeds calories ingested, the faster you'll lose fat. The best advice I ever got in this department is that high-intensity isn't the best way to maximise calories burnt, simply because you fatigue too fast.
If I do a high-intensity workout burning 1500cal/hr for example, I'll be rooted after 20 mins and will burn 500 calories. But if I dial down the intensity just a bit to 1200 cal/hr, for example, I can keep it up for three times as long and will burn the full 1200cal.
Obviously there's other factors in play here - whether you can find the time to put in a full hour of cardio, for instance. But it's REALLY hard to do cardio to a high-enough intensity that you can burn 1k calories in a 20 minute session. High-intensity might improve your VO2 etc better, but for fat burning, best dial the difficulty down a bit and put in more time.
Edit: my calorie counts are based on the readout of my exercise bike and are probably as dodgy as hell. But they're a useful way of measuring the effectiveness of workout A vs workout B when both are done on the same bike.
But when you improve your fitness, you'll be able to plow through at higher intensity, for longer.
So you might well get there eventually.
Midnight - 8am shifts = horrible for gains
2 plates+
Eastie is 100% right about the absolute baseline of fat loss - the more that calories burnt exceeds calories ingested, the faster you'll lose fat. The best advice I ever got in this department is that high-intensity isn't the best way to maximise calories burnt, simply because you fatigue too fast.
If I do a high-intensity workout burning 1500cal/hr for example, I'll be rooted after 20 mins and will burn 500 calories. But if I dial down the intensity just a bit to 1200 cal/hr, for example, I can keep it up for three times as long and will burn the full 1200cal.
Obviously there's other factors in play here - whether you can find the time to put in a full hour of cardio, for instance. But it's REALLY hard to do cardio to a high-enough intensity that you can burn 1k calories in a 20 minute session. High-intensity might improve your VO2 etc better, but for fat burning, best dial the difficulty down a bit and put in more time.
Edit: my calorie counts are based on the readout of my exercise bike and are probably as dodgy as hell. But they're a useful way of measuring the effectiveness of workout A vs workout B when both are done on the same bike.
But when you improve your fitness, you'll be able to plow through at higher intensity, for longer.
So you might well get there eventually.
And anyone who needs to burn 1200 calories on a regular basis needs to adjust their diet not their cardio.
2 plates+
Eastie is 100% right about the absolute baseline of fat loss - the more that calories burnt exceeds calories ingested, the faster you'll lose fat. The best advice I ever got in this department is that high-intensity isn't the best way to maximise calories burnt, simply because you fatigue too fast.
If I do a high-intensity workout burning 1500cal/hr for example, I'll be rooted after 20 mins and will burn 500 calories. But if I dial down the intensity just a bit to 1200 cal/hr, for example, I can keep it up for three times as long and will burn the full 1200cal.
Obviously there's other factors in play here - whether you can find the time to put in a full hour of cardio, for instance. But it's REALLY hard to do cardio to a high-enough intensity that you can burn 1k calories in a 20 minute session. High-intensity might improve your VO2 etc better, but for fat burning, best dial the difficulty down a bit and put in more time.
Edit: my calorie counts are based on the readout of my exercise bike and are probably as dodgy as hell. But they're a useful way of measuring the effectiveness of workout A vs workout B when both are done on the same bike.
But when you improve your fitness, you'll be able to plow through at higher intensity, for longer.
So you might well get there eventually.
And anyone who needs to burn 1200 calories on a regular basis needs to adjust their diet not their cardio.
Large Big Mac meal will deliver 1200 calories easy.
And theyre delicious.
Footlong sub is about the same depending on sauces etc
Family pizza from the local I worked out is around 2500-3000. 3/4 of which would be carbs lol
2 plates+
Eastie is 100% right about the absolute baseline of fat loss - the more that calories burnt exceeds calories ingested, the faster you'll lose fat. The best advice I ever got in this department is that high-intensity isn't the best way to maximise calories burnt, simply because you fatigue too fast.
If I do a high-intensity workout burning 1500cal/hr for example, I'll be rooted after 20 mins and will burn 500 calories. But if I dial down the intensity just a bit to 1200 cal/hr, for example, I can keep it up for three times as long and will burn the full 1200cal.
Obviously there's other factors in play here - whether you can find the time to put in a full hour of cardio, for instance. But it's REALLY hard to do cardio to a high-enough intensity that you can burn 1k calories in a 20 minute session. High-intensity might improve your VO2 etc better, but for fat burning, best dial the difficulty down a bit and put in more time.
Edit: my calorie counts are based on the readout of my exercise bike and are probably as dodgy as hell. But they're a useful way of measuring the effectiveness of workout A vs workout B when both are done on the same bike.
But when you improve your fitness, you'll be able to plow through at higher intensity, for longer.
So you might well get there eventually.
And anyone who needs to burn 1200 calories on a regular basis needs to adjust their diet not their cardio.
This is the meathead thread, not the healthy living and sensible diet thread! :p
This is the meathead thread, not the healthy living and sensible diet thread! :p
And anyone who needs to burn 1200 calories on a regular basis needs to adjust their diet not their cardio.
2 plates+But when you improve your fitness, you'll be able to plow through at higher intensity, for longer.
Eastie is 100% right about the absolute baseline of fat loss - the more that calories burnt exceeds calories ingested, the faster you'll lose fat. The best advice I ever got in this department is that high-intensity isn't the best way to maximise calories burnt, simply because you fatigue too fast.
If I do a high-intensity workout burning 1500cal/hr for example, I'll be rooted after 20 mins and will burn 500 calories. But if I dial down the intensity just a bit to 1200 cal/hr, for example, I can keep it up for three times as long and will burn the full 1200cal.
Obviously there's other factors in play here - whether you can find the time to put in a full hour of cardio, for instance. But it's REALLY hard to do cardio to a high-enough intensity that you can burn 1k calories in a 20 minute session. High-intensity might improve your VO2 etc better, but for fat burning, best dial the difficulty down a bit and put in more time.
Edit: my calorie counts are based on the readout of my exercise bike and are probably as dodgy as hell. But they're a useful way of measuring the effectiveness of workout A vs workout B when both are done on the same bike.
So you might well get there eventually.
Amen!
Dirty gains ftw
is there any site out there, that shows you how to perform every (well most standard exercises) with the correct form ?
Something like I think it was Eastie boi with the how to do squats and chest press properly. I know there's alot of sites out there that show videos or explain it with words, but i have only recently discovered videos for a couple of movements, how they explain the process fully while showing you how to perform the movement properly, rather than, just lift the weight above your head, for say a shoulder press.
Like I thought I had better than average form, but as I say seeing a couple of videos recently, and trying it, it's made me question whether all of the exercises i do, are not as good as i'd hoped.
is there any site out there, that shows you how to perform every (well most standard exercises) with the correct form ?
Something like I think it was Eastie boi with the how to do squats and chest press properly. I know there's alot of sites out there that show videos or explain it with words, but i have only recently discovered videos for a couple of movements, how they explain the process fully while showing you how to perform the movement properly, rather than, just lift the weight above your head, for say a shoulder press.
Like I thought I had better than average form, but as I say seeing a couple of videos recently, and trying it, it's made me question whether all of the exercises i do, are not as good as i'd hoped.
Get a trainer for a few sessions and get it done properly.
is there any site out there, that shows you how to perform every (well most standard exercises) with the correct form ?
Something like I think it was Eastie boi with the how to do squats and chest press properly. I know there's alot of sites out there that show videos or explain it with words, but i have only recently discovered videos for a couple of movements, how they explain the process fully while showing you how to perform the movement properly, rather than, just lift the weight above your head, for say a shoulder press.
Like I thought I had better than average form, but as I say seeing a couple of videos recently, and trying it, it's made me question whether all of the exercises i do, are not as good as i'd hoped.
Get a trainer for a few sessions and get it done properly.
this. if you plan on going heavy, work with a pro. you will hurt yourself down the track
if you want to muck around with the bar, then youtube will be your friend
Give me a list of the exercises and I’ll find you vids. Make sure you film yourself too so you can compare to what you see and we can help fix anything that doesn’t look right
Good personal coaching can’t be beat though!
I was deadlifting 130 odd. Went to see a trainer, walked away lifting 150 easy. Good training is had to beat.
On an unrelated note battling ropes are my new best friend and enemy. Tabata sets on that and I can’t wipe my own ■■■■
Interesting to speak to a few guys at my gym in San Diego who are in the top 2-3% in the world in bodybuilding and they all are of the opinion that rep ranges are irrelevant when it comes to purely hypertrophy, and that the key is the time under tension - or in other words how long the muscle works for
The magic time frame they give is 40-50 seconds being optimal for muscle growth
So should you do an exercise with a 1 second eccentric (down) phase and 1 second concentric (up) phase you would need to perform 20-25 repetitions to elicit best results. If you were to do a set of 5 reps, each rep would have to last 8-10 seconds in total to fall within these parameters
I’m going to have a play around with splitting my assistance into 2 days
One in the 10-15 rep range with a 2-4 second eccentric and 1 second concentric, the other 1-1 but in a higher rep range
Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell talks about lowering strength being important in powerlifting for injury prevention, yet due to the equipment we use many end up being able to press more weight up than we can lower under control (I know I am the same with squats - can squat from a dead stop more than I can full squat)
edit and on top of this, speaking to a lifter from Westside that deadlifts 400+, after his squats he does a leg curl variation for 3-4 sets of 2-6 reps followed by another variation for 200-400 reps lol
On an unrelated note battling ropes are my new best friend and enemy. Tabata sets on that and I can't wipe my own ■■■■
How good are they!
I've been doing 5min rounds 20sec on, 10sec rest. Can get through the first round no problems, but by the end of the second I can hardly lift the ropes!
How do I increase my VO2 max?