Health & Fitness

Kombucha, the vegan crossfit of drinks.

Did you know there is Kombucha Beer?

I feel compelled to respond as I dabbled with Keto in early 2017, and had great success from a weight loss perspective, but I couldnā€™t stick to it after a lifetime of excessive carb consumption (Iā€™m Italian).

Anyhow, I was concerned with how my weight/appearance/health was slowly degrading during 2018, so Iā€™ve been back on extremely low carb for 10 weeks now.
Canā€™t say that Iā€™m definitely in Ketosis, as I havenā€™t checked my ketones.
Ultimately, making good food choices is more important to me.

One of the biggest changes I have made recently, is purchasing all my meat direct from an Organic Farm where the animals are Grass Fed/Grass Finished.
Much healthier nutritionally, and ethically raised.

Iā€™m making my own mayonnaise with Pasture raised eggs and the best oils I can afford.
I make my own bread (LCHF, obviously).
Iā€™m even trying my hand tonight at fermented foods (Sauerkraut).

But enough about me, it sounds like you have found the sweet spot in terms of your eating window.
Intermittent fasting is a powerful tool.

Congrats on your progress so far.
Momentum is a wonderful thing !

2 Likes

Righto fitness people. Question time.

Iā€™m 44 and trying to improves my cardio. Iā€™ve been doing lots of walking but have decided to step it up and start running. Any online calculator says that my max heart rate should be 176 bpm. Iā€™ve noticed that when Iā€™m running on the treadmill at about 10kph my rate can get up to about 180 (according to fitbit and treadmill monitor so it must be ball park.)

So my questions:
Is this normal for a pretty unfit person?
Do I need to back it off?
Should i just do what normal people do and go and talk to the doc about it instead of asking randoms on the net no matter how smart they are?

Now why would you go and do something as silly as running? But in all seriousness, those online calculators are a general rule only and hardly an exact science. As long as youā€™re not feeling chest pains, have a history of heart disease in thr family then I think you should be fine especially since youā€™ve increased your load slowly.

2 Likes

Both online calculators, fit bitā€™s and treadmills are all inaccurate when it comes to heart rate. Go by how you feel. If you can run itā€™s okay

1 Like

Thatā€™s kind of the way I was thinking. Especially when the general rule of thumb for increasing VO2 max is all about intensity.

1 Like

What does ā€œlots of walkingā€ mean? How many times per week, and how far, and at about what speed?

And do you do any other planned exercise, eg., gym, swimming, whatever?

And what are your height and weight?

IMO walk/run on effort.

Generally unfit people have higher resting heart rates and it rises quickly when they work out, ie run up a hill it takes time to build up fitness and lower heart rate when running.

Also as mentioned above sometimes Heart rate calculations stuff up especially wrist watch ones, chest strap Heart rate monitors are the best (but they are annoying and rub).
Sometimes the Heart rate monitor synches with your cadence, ie if your cadence is 180 sometimes your HR on watch is too. I havent had that issue but many people do.

220- your age is just a guess at what people max HRā€™s might be its not exact science.
I have a mate who is 40 and his HR was high 190ā€™s the other day, one record even said 208 but believe that 200+ to be dodgy.

MAF Training is 180-age 180-44 = 136HR and they suggest you do all training at this heart rateā€¦but then your probably walk/running to keep it that low.

I would suggest run on effort, dont go to hard doing intervals or sprints, do easy running and enjoy it.
But if you are keen on training to heart rate, I would suggest try and not go over a certain limit, maybe 170 or 165 as that is still a decent effort imo.

I think you need more data before going to see a doc if you are concerned you may have a issue?
Do you have any other symptoms of heart issues? chest pains etc

why are you trying to increase VO2 max?
if your starting out running, shouldnā€™t focus on intensity at all yet.
Easy running, build volume, stay injury free, add intensity in later when you start to plateau.

Try maybe asking this forum http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/
they may have more idea has some experienced runners thereā€¦and someone may ahve already asked a similar newbie running question.

once you have built up a base fitness and can run 5-10kms without stopping could try the following running week
Sunday: long run morning
Monday: rest
Tuesday: speed
Wednesday: easy run
Thursday: rest
Friday: tempo run
Saturday: easy,

1 Like

Thanks for the input HD.

Hereā€™s some more info. When I said a heap of walking. A heap compared to what I once did. Haha. I do an hour on the TM 5% incline at about 6.8kph. I try for 3 times a week. Iā€™ve just finished an hour on the ex. bike. Did 28kms on med to high intensity alternating. Both monitors had my peak at about 160 and I was definitely working so Iā€™m comfortable with that. I also hit the weights a little bit.

I weigh 100kg and my height varies. I think itā€™s 184cm, AFL record has me at 209cm and Champion Data has it as 3/4 of a furlong.

2 Likes

Itā€™s amazing the difference between running and riding in terms of HR.

I find approx 20 bpm difference between a comfortable running pace and a comfortable riding pace (and can max out at 200 running, which I wouldnā€™t get anywhere near on the bike)

3 Likes

That looks like a pretty good program to me, given that youā€™re a fair bit overweight, if you donā€™t mind me saying so. The exercise coupled with a proper diet would get your weight down pretty quickly, and then youā€™d find that youā€™re running more easily, and longer distances.

I agree about not pushing the running too hard. But I donā€™t share the sentiments about Fitbits, etc. Theyā€™re not 100% accurate and sometimes give very wild readings, but on the whole I find mine pretty accurate.

2 Likes

Itā€™s all muscle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

So when are you giving up the beer?

Iā€™d ignore the online thing TBH.

1 Like

Baby steps. I canā€™t tackle everything at once.

3 Likes

Yeah

Nah

Nah

Donā€™t overthink it. If you feel alright itā€™s fine.

2 Likes

Right. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was going on the basis that I weigh 20kg less and could definitely lose that pad thatā€™s hiding my 6-pack. Which is under there somewhere, Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

$10 says the 220-age came from a sample size of between 0 and 2.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a rough guide. Nobody ever said it was anything else. A very fit person will have a higher MHR.