Heppell, Merrett or McGrath 2023?

Merrett by a country mile only person who seems to want to drive standards

1 Like

Zach Merrett deserves his time as captain.
Unfortunately for Parish, he’ll have to be second banana until the next captain choice. We’ll probably even pass the McGrath generation with some luck.
Hopefully by the time Merret and Parish are close to retiring, we have Perkins, Reid, Draper or one of the other draftees warranting captaincy.

Merrett’s defensive game is appalling.

So naturally he’d be a perfect captain for us.

2 Likes

Captain Merrett

Vice captain McGrath

Leadership group: Langford and maybe Redman if his leadership has picked up as it seems.

Spiritual leader: shared between Draper and Massimo.

Hepps to retire. Sure, he’s had a good few weeks, but he’s very replaceable and he should retire while he is back going okay.

I’ve never heard Parish mentioned as a leader. Any word on his leadership abilities / aspirations, @CJohns ?

Laverde should be captain.

McGrath only because he’s played out of position.

Hasn’t the whole co-captain thing been buried for good. Who does it now? It was a Naughties New Age feel good waste of time.

1 Like

De Goey

3 Likes

Here’s the job description for Captain

1. Humble, empathetic and honest.
  2. Leads by his actions, not just his words
  3. Is literate and speaks well. No bogan, “yeah nah mate she’ll be right brother” types need apply
  4. First to training and last to leave.
  5. Is not interested in Twitter or Instagram.
  6. Has proven himself on the field already by his dedication, committment, bravery and willingness to put team first
  7. Is durable and will push through the pain barrier
  8. Has a brooding presence without being terrifying. Young players must learn to earn his respect but once they have, he will stand by them forever.
  9. Will die for the jumper
  10. Captain my Captain

I am afraid to say we do not have this player yet. McGrath and Merrett are lieutenants not generals.

Give me Maximus Decimus Meridius or Aragorn son of Arathorn

Don’t give me some freaking Gen Z left leaning new age pro-feminist gender confused They/Them latte loving window dresser.

Not captaincy related but I’d like see Draper given a leadership role. Embraces the young fellas coming through and think he’d thrive with that kind of responsibility

1 Like

He can be Minister of Dressing Room Good Vibes but he is not Captain material

Not sure many current AFL captains fit your requirements, in fact your last paragraph would be used by some to describe the current premiership captain.

If you want this choice position
Have a cheery disposition
Rosy cheeks, no warts!
Play games, all sorts
You must be kind, you must be witty
Very sweet and fairly pretty
Take us on outings, give us treats
Sing songs, bring sweets
Never be cross or cruel
Never give us castor oil or gruel
Love us as a son and daughter
And never smell of barley water
If you won’t scold and dominate us
We will never give you a cause to hate us
We won’t hide your spectacles
So you can’t see
Put toads in your bed
Or pepper in your tea
Hurry, Nanny!
Many thanks
Sincerely,
Jane and Michael Banks.

I did start that post by saying not captaincy related so yeah I agree he’s not captain material… but think he can be a leader somewhere in the team.

Maybe not but lets at least aim for someone with most of these characteristics.

I think Joel Selwood epitomises the type of character we should be looking for.

Frankly, of our squad, only Laverde of the senior players stands out but I suspect Perkins of the younger lads may just be the one

Found him

6 Likes

Sorry, yes I realise you weren’t suggesting Draper as captain

1 Like

yep…pretty much the man

I just think this sort of stuff is, over the top.

You want someone who will have the courage to put his head over the ball, and all that.

But the main thing I want to see from leaders, is someone willing to sacrifice his own game for the good of the team. Which is why I have Langford and McGrath ahead of Merrett.

I don’t believe Merrett is willing to do a role at HF or HB for his team, if it takes away from getting 30 touches. And I don’t believe Merrett has the ‘buy in’ for the Coaches defensive structures.

I personally don’t see a significant leader in Parish as yet. Its improving i will say but not to where McGrath and possibly Merrett is at. Even Langford tbh. Merrett being an introvert still concerns me but he is ruthless in expecting certain standards. McGrath issues is mainly getting on field consistently and playing good footy. At half back he will be very good so i sense its more about his body now playing every week. co-captains is a real possibility

2 Likes