Here's THE TEAM (final) vs Gold Coast LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGY (Francis calf :( Parish rested)

Dempsey hamstring, have we seen the last of him?

I havent been a fan of Stokes but giving him 2 games out of the last 3, to get him to 200 AFL games is OK by me. It is said that he has been great around the club in a mentoring role. Thats gotta be worth something.

Francis calf and Parish calf :(

With parish out Zaharakis will have to step up as the second best midfielder.
Positive is cant see any suns tagging him. Maybe Rosa?
think it will be a free flowing game

Why would you rest a player at this time of the year?

To paraphrase Woosha, it’s better to have young players who are feeling the effects of a hard season, to play 3 solid games than 4 that they struggle through.

Would’ve thought you’d rest them next week. Keep them fresh for when we slap Carlton around.

Why would you rest a player at this time of the year?

To paraphrase Woosha, it’s better to have young players who are feeling the effects of a hard season, to play 3 solid games than 4 that they struggle through.

I’m really happy with how the younger players have been managed this year. We have had very few injuries to players in our core list with the exception of Francis and Morgan. Big red was always going to struggle with his fitness base and the top ups where always going to struggle in parts.

Think we have an amazing base to build on next year and fingers crossed all the younger players are looking at a full preasons. Fark even Luey has played most games, the injury gods have been kind. Add to that some very fresh returning players. Pumped.

I hope we load up for a massive crack at Carlscum.

I get sad when parish is rested cause I’m irrational but it’s worth the pain to see him running out the game full tilt against carlscum.

Crap highlight of the week. Jake long come on down. Amazing family so happy for him. Go watch the interview about him being selected. He almost tears up right at the start. You can see it means the world to him these are the blokes you want at your footy club.

essendonfc.com.au/video/2016-08-11/btv-jake-long-interview-august-11-2016

Final Team:-

IN: Stokes, Simpkin, Fantasia, Long
OUT: Parish, Francis, Goddard, Dempsey

6 top ups
3 rookies

Oh boy…

6 top ups 3 rookies

Oh boy…

It’s all good. All year we have battled hard minus a game or 2. Shouldn’t won a few more games but it’s been an amazing effort given the circumstances. Gws game is a great example.

Last year carlscum was getting done worse than we have this year with a FULL list. They almost destroyed Friday night football. Sucked in afl. Or see Melbourne years prior.

Go dons.

Edit should have not shouldn’t.

Six top ups suggests the club believes this is a winnable game.

Redman, langford and hams miss, damn

Does it though? Are the top-ups at the stage of their careers actually any/much better than the rest of our list?

GC got absolutely annihilated 5 weeks in a row up to round 10 but have been pretty consistent and competitive since then despite not getting many wins. We probably need them to be a bit off to be chance.

Disappointing that Langford isn’t in for this because he would have probably been the biggest mid on the ground. Still you never know what can happen if a young team gets a sniff and our best this year is good enough to get a sniff in this game.

Fingers crossed May doesn’t do somthing horrible to JD. Their height up forward will stretch us. On paper the midfields look relatively even with neither being particularly deep or experienced.

Holding saad and harbrow would go a long way to winning it for us.

Hope long shows something and just takes it on.

Does it though? Are the top-ups at the stage of their careers actually any/much better than the rest of our list?

not a chance - you would have parish and Langford in for starters and a few obvious ones out

Haven’t done this for a while…

We’re gunna win.

No.

I can’t understand how anybody can have watched footy this year and thought that the top ups (bar Kelly, Dea and probably Jamar) make us any better.

They are there to give the kids a rest. And to get Polky to 103 games.

No.

I can’t understand how anybody can have watched footy this year and thought that the top ups (bar Kelly, Dea and probably Jamar) make us any better.

They are there to give the kids a rest. And to get Polky to 103 games.

Spot on, they are there mainly to give the others a spell. Strange to think otherwise. Dea and Kelly clear best 22 this season. The others with where they are at in their careers… meh.