Hope and positive thinking

24 hrs on and still feel sick about it. What a disgrace by all involved (including club etc etc) that it has come to this. However here are the reasons why I believe losing these guys can be a positive: Watson hasn't been at his best for several years and he is in the last 2 years of his career irrespective, so better that we find his replacement now rather than later. Chance for Hams to justify his contract extension and perhaps a chance for Gleeson to finally move into the middle with impact.

Stanton turns 30 this year and, according to some, is also in his last years. This will be a great chance for Stantonbashers to prove exactly how much we don’t need this stat chaser in the team.

Hibberd was dismal for much of last year as it appeared the shine had rubbed off this magic lamp. A classic warrior, and should be seen again, but we have an abundance of HB flankers that need to see more game time anyway in Gleeson, Ashby et al.

Hocking has been unavailable for much of the past two years and looked a touch behind the pace of modern AFL. Also the traditional ‘tagger’ role has diminished in the past two seasons. As such there is considerable debate as to whether he was a best 22 player anyway.

Pears was lucky to survive the list culling last season and has probably missed the boat with Francis now slated to play the 3rd tall/medium defender role long term.

TBell is being bemoaned as a huge loss, but perhaps some need to look at the hype surrounding this bloke last preseason. TBC produced some truly awful footy in 2015 and some questioned why he was re-signed rather than shipped off. Luey and Smack should more than cover the loss of this well dressed goof.

Myers is all class but has spent more time off the park that on it for his career. The team is so used to playing without him, I hardly think we will notice that he is not there. Laverde is primed to take the ‘big bodied midfielder’ role anyway so all good.

Howlett has been a warrior for our club but the guy was depth at best this season. Many have suggested that we won’t be pushing deep into finals with guys like Howlett considered best 22. A handy bonus is that Kommer comes back this season to play the nagging defensive half forward role.

Colyer set the world on fire at the start of last season with some run and dash but it was the first time he showed that kind of form for his career. Before that brief glimpse there were more doubters than believers for Travis and maybe for good reason. Disposal is suspect and is prone to turnovers and poor decision making. Without his leg speed it should also make it clear to the coaches exactly what kind of player we need to recruit next season.

Hurley is a gun, champion and the man we have come to trust playing in defence however has always struggled with injuries. It won’t be that hard to pretend his absence is due to surgery rather than corruption and the 12 months might be a good chance for him to clear up all those shoulder niggles for good. This year off might extend his career by 2-3 down the track.

Hooker became a superstar last year after several very good seasons but let us not forget that he was going to be moved forward this season and might have bombed badly anyway (see Hurley/Carlisle experiment) so at least he is saved from that humiliation. This is a great chance for Ambrose and Langford to show why we don’t need an AA defender to come and help up front next season.

Heppell is an out and out champion BUT has played a lot of games already in his young career by virtue of his grace. Was reportedly carrying a little bit of OP and potentially some other niggles and the end of last year and start of preseason. This season could be the refresher that his body needs rather than being forced to ‘manage’ him again this season. Also gives guys like Edwards, Zerrett, Jerrett, Parish and Zaka a chance to show why they can make/take the next step.

Finally the best part is that we will get the number 1 pick to help recover from this mess. That should see us able to pick up another midfield gun to replace our aging stars.

Out of the 12 who will realistically come back and not ask to be traded/sign contract extension (Hooker) ?

I mean Hooker could be lured to go play for Freo on big money… gets to go home etc (that would mean we would most likely get band 1 compo wouldn’t it?)

That is the great unknown really but I see at least 4 that are highly unlikely to be playing in the red and black again - Watson, Hocking, Pears, Howlett.

I think Hurley, Hibberd and Myers will stay, Stanton probably gets another year if he wants to (not sure any other clubs would want him for one season).

Hooker and Heppell could do anything and that scares me.

I think guys like TBC and Coyler will look for opportunities elsewhere and are (reportedly) not likely to return.

Will be very interesting to see how it pans out, but that is why I wouldn’t be using too many top up/older players and instead we should focus on our best 22 moving forward without these 12 because there is a high likely, imho, that we only get 3-4 of them back at most next year.

where was this reported?

24 hrs on and still feel sick about it. What a disgrace by all involved (including club etc etc) that it has come to this. However here are the reasons why I believe losing these guys can be a positive: Watson hasn't been at his best for several years and he is in the last 2 years of his career irrespective, so better that we find his replacement now rather than later. Chance for Hams to justify his contract extension and perhaps a chance for Gleeson to finally move into the middle with impact.

Stanton turns 30 this year and, according to some, is also in his last years. This will be a great chance for Stantonbashers to prove exactly how much we don’t need this stat chaser in the team.

Hibberd was dismal for much of last year as it appeared the shine had rubbed off this magic lamp. A classic warrior, and should be seen again, but we have an abundance of HB flankers that need to see more game time anyway in Gleeson, Ashby et al.

Hocking has been unavailable for much of the past two years and looked a touch behind the pace of modern AFL. Also the traditional ‘tagger’ role has diminished in the past two seasons. As such there is considerable debate as to whether he was a best 22 player anyway.

Pears was lucky to survive the list culling last season and has probably missed the boat with Francis now slated to play the 3rd tall/medium defender role long term.

TBell is being bemoaned as a huge loss, but perhaps some need to look at the hype surrounding this bloke last preseason. TBC produced some truly awful footy in 2015 and some questioned why he was re-signed rather than shipped off. Luey and Smack should more than cover the loss of this well dressed goof.

Myers is all class but has spent more time off the park that on it for his career. The team is so used to playing without him, I hardly think we will notice that he is not there. Laverde is primed to take the ‘big bodied midfielder’ role anyway so all good.

Howlett has been a warrior for our club but the guy was depth at best this season. Many have suggested that we won’t be pushing deep into finals with guys like Howlett considered best 22. A handy bonus is that Kommer comes back this season to play the nagging defensive half forward role.

Colyer set the world on fire at the start of last season with some run and dash but it was the first time he showed that kind of form for his career. Before that brief glimpse there were more doubters than believers for Travis and maybe for good reason. Disposal is suspect and is prone to turnovers and poor decision making. Without his leg speed it should also make it clear to the coaches exactly what kind of player we need to recruit next season.

Hurley is a gun, champion and the man we have come to trust playing in defence however has always struggled with injuries. It won’t be that hard to pretend his absence is due to surgery rather than corruption and the 12 months might be a good chance for him to clear up all those shoulder niggles for good. This year off might extend his career by 2-3 down the track.

Hooker became a superstar last year after several very good seasons but let us not forget that he was going to be moved forward this season and might have bombed badly anyway (see Hurley/Carlisle experiment) so at least he is saved from that humiliation. This is a great chance for Ambrose and Langford to show why we don’t need an AA defender to come and help up front next season.

Heppell is an out and out champion BUT has played a lot of games already in his young career by virtue of his grace. Was reportedly carrying a little bit of OP and potentially some other niggles and the end of last year and start of preseason. This season could be the refresher that his body needs rather than being forced to ‘manage’ him again this season. Also gives guys like Edwards, Zerrett, Jerrett, Parish and Zaka a chance to show why they can make/take the next step.

Finally the best part is that we will get the number 1 pick to help recover from this mess. That should see us able to pick up another midfield gun to replace our aging stars.

Out of the 12 who will realistically come back and not ask to be traded/sign contract extension (Hooker) ?

I mean Hooker could be lured to go play for Freo on big money… gets to go home etc (that would mean we would most likely get band 1 compo wouldn’t it?)

That is the great unknown really but I see at least 4 that are highly unlikely to be playing in the red and black again - Watson, Hocking, Pears, Howlett.

I think Hurley, Hibberd and Myers will stay, Stanton probably gets another year if he wants to (not sure any other clubs would want him for one season).

I think guys like TBC and Coyler will look for opportunities elsewhere and are (reportedly) not likely to return.

Will be very interesting to see how it pans out, but that is why I wouldn’t be using too many top up/older players and instead we should focus on our best 22 moving forward without these 12 because there is a high likely, imho, that we only get 3-4 of them back at most next year.

where was this reported?

Can’t remember where but it was last year before the ‘not guilty’ verdict… there was discussion around guys who would think of leaving if banned etc. So may be complete BS or out of date info.

Not sure TBC would attract a huge amount of attention based on current output for the last two seasons… but big men always seem to get a sniff. Coyler is the perfect ‘finishing touch’ for a team imho… so might be tempted to go to a team really challenging for a flag.

Personally I wouldn’t blame any of them for leaving the club and I hope the club does the right thing and lets them go. No matter what BS has gone on… ultimately the club should have protected them both during the program and in the years since. This has been an unmitigated disaster for 4 years and I don’t know how you can ask them to come back and bleed for the red and black after all of it.

Nowhere.
Just a poster staying true to his MO.

Any wins we have this year are going to feel like epic victories so we will enjoy them moreso. I guess that could be a positive?

Nowhere. Just a poster staying true to his MO.
So you think they will all re-sign? That would be good news.

where was this reported?

Bellcho reportedly had offers the contract before this one. May have also had a look during this recent contract negotiation, but they would’ve been substantially worse than the previous lot, don’t think his management would’ve had much joy in floating him up.

There’s obviously a fairly big risk that just about every player (even the guys who weren’t part of the 34) throw their hands in the air and say ‘■■■■ it’.
Couldn’t possibly blame them. Not sure anyone would have any idea, this early on. Not sure it achieves much to speculate, either. And I don’t think it’s the biggest of the club’s problems, either.

Our squad, even without the 12, is still better than Fark Carlton… that is a positive.

Promised myself I wouldn’t return to blitz until the saga was “over”.

I’m back ■■■■■■■ did y’all miss me.

Oh and judging by Gil the Dill’s comments in media over the last 24hrs… I think the AFL will be pretty keen to get EFC back competitive quickly… there is no way that AFL wanted this outcome at all. They really did think it was all done and dusted with their penalties etc etc.

The positive being that we should get a good ‘draw’ next year… and no risk of losing draft picks etc etc. I would even be going to the AFL and asking for a compo pick in this years draft. Sounds like the AFL want this to rebound pretty quickly to save attendance/viewers.

I’m not a big fan of the AFL… but we are going to need all the help we can get both on and off the field to recover.

1. We could unearth a couple of gems during this season. Some of these players need a few games in the big time to really show what they are made of. Game time they would never have gotten previously.
  2. High draft picks.
  3. Nothing to lose. Beating an opposition would be humiliating for them.
  4. No other supporter group has gone through this. Will make us stronger and a more unique type of supporter base.
  5. No * hanging over our heads.

Amazed everyone doesn’t have it on ignore yet.

“Tom Bellchambers, who has suffered ankle injuries over the years, is a restricted free agent that has been tipped to go.”

I can’t be stuffed finding all the articles written… but seriously they were the two names that got bandied about a far bit… and I never said they were definitely leaving… just that they were “reportedly” ones considering it in the past…

I personally hope they all re-sign if they want to…

I can't be stuffed finding all the articles written.. but seriously they were the two names that got bandied about a far bit.. and I never said they were definitely leaving.. just that they were "reportedly" ones considering it in the past..

I personally hope they all re-sign if they want to…

Losing any of them is disastrous.
But for the future of the footy club, keeping Heppell & Hurley is vital.

Our squad, even without the 12, is still better than Fark Carlton... that is a positive.

Cale Hooker (456 votes)
Michael Hurley (402)
Dyson Heppell (360)

Zach Merrett (330)
Brendon Goddard (322)
Mark Baguley (318)
Brent Stanton (314)
Michael Hibberd (242)
Jake Melksham (136)
Shaun McKernan (120)

And from the rest - no Jobe, no Howlett, obviously no Fletch, Chap or Jakey Carlisle, no Bellcho.
I looked at players by total SC score for the year (not perfect, but gives a rough idea of contribution), we’ll be able to put on the park our #3, #6, #9, #10, #11, #16, #17, #18, #19, and a fair few from 20 on.
It’s not terrific.

Our squad, even without the 12, is still better than Fark Carlton... that is a positive.

Cale Hooker (456 votes)
Michael Hurley (402)
Dyson Heppell (360)

Zach Merrett (330)
Brendon Goddard (322)
Mark Baguley (318)
Brent Stanton (314)
Michael Hibberd (242)
Jake Melksham (136)
Shaun McKernan (120)

And from the rest - no Jobe, no Howlett, obviously no Fletch, Chap or Jakey Carlisle, no Bellcho.
I looked at players by total SC score for the year (not perfect, but gives a rough idea of contribution), we’ll be able to put on the park our #3, #6, #9, #10, #11, #16, #17, #18, #19, and a fair few from 20 on.
It’s not terrific.

HAP this is the hope and positive thinking thread.

He’s contracted to the end of 2017 anyway (isn’t he?)

Cale Hooker (456 votes)
Michael Hurley (402)
Dyson Heppell (360)

Zach Merrett (330)
Brendon Goddard (322)
Mark Baguley (318)
Brent Stanton (314)
Michael Hibberd (242)
Jake Melksham (136)
Shaun McKernan (120)

It’s not terrific.

HAP this is the hope and positive thinking thread.

True

He’s contracted to the end of 2017 anyway (isn’t he?)

Yeah, he inked a fresh deal late last year I think… but my thinking is that IF any player wants to leave (and I’m not saying they do) then the club would probably let them go. In the end we won’t know until we know really… and it probably depends on whether they get offered $$ by other clubs or whatever else.

Also time could change things both ways… 9 months is a long time for bitterness to creep in… OR for a fighting spirit/chip to develop to come back and make the club great etc etc… I would imagine that every player will be different. Also some players will find it easy to maintain that elite level for 12 months… others may not etc etc.

For example (purely a hypothetical, not based in fact, it is an OPINION only) does a guy like Stanton that perhaps only has 1-2 more seasons left really bother staying in elite shape so that he can come back and compete with guys like Parish/Zerrett/Heppell/Laverde for his spot?? Does he start keen in February but by June is pretty much over it? Does he get depression and quit the game in October? We don’t know and I would imagine that some of the players (especially those in the last few years of their careers) won’t know until it comes down to much later in the season.

The whole thing stinks but this is the hope thread… so yay team!

Let me preface this post by saying that I am absolutely gutted by the events of yesterday. I sat awake at 3am (local time, believing the outcome would be released at 5am AEDT) compulsively refreshing this site and twitter, heart racing, until the outcome was finally released at 6am. It hit me like a wrecking ball and have not been able to think about anything else for a moment since. I cannot imagine what the players and their families are feeling.

In order to rationalise this whole mess I’ve been trying to think about the positives (which obviously do not in any way stack up to the positives but sometimes that is all you have got):

• Fast tracked development for our draftees and those that would have otherwise been on the fringes or just outside of the best 22 (eg, Langord, Laverde, Fanta, Edwards, Jerret, Smack, etc). They can have a real run and back themselves without any fear that a mistake may have them back in the 2s for the following 10 weeks.

• Access to the very top end of the draft in 2016 which is reportedly quite strong. Disco may need to order in some more jackets.

• The ability to have a close look at some VFL talent and delistees (ala M Brown) with a view to bringing them onto the list in 2017.

• No pressure on Woosha to get results in his first year at the mantle.

• The decision also has negative implications for; (1) Carlton (will likely lose access to the #1 draft pick - and potentially a priority pick - despite doing the tankiest tanking in the history of tanks), (2) Peter Gordon* (AFL mouthpiece loses a key player in his club’s top 4 push), (3) Kochie* (see (2) but replace ‘AFL mouthpiece’ with ‘sanctimonious _____’), (4) Ameet Bains and the St Kilda FC* (thanks again for Aaron Francis, gents) and last, but not least, (5) the AFL (this hits them in the only place they really care about; the back pocket).**

• After 10+ years of being at best mediocre the Essendon Football Club has (or is about to) hit rock bottom. Hopefully this will bring about the institutional change that we have needed for so long and we can finally get on track to becoming a successful club again - however long that might ultimately take. Put another way, the only way is up.

• For the 34, who I imagine would be unable to even able to conceive of a positive thought at the moment, they can take a step away from footy, hopefully from the country, and travel, study, take up a hobby or otherwise do whatever else that gives them a well earned break from football and the torture they have endured for the past three years of their lives. Hopefully they can come back refreshed - and even more hopefully for those currently on our list, to the EFC - at the end of the year.

*These are toungue in cheek obviously and I feel just as much for the 34 no longer at the club.