How do we fix the forward line?

We’ve lost Chapman, Winderlich & Hooker from the forward line. That’s some experience.

You could get the greatest forward line coach of all time and our plebs will still stink it up. Its 100% the personnel. Brown looks pretty good and joe is a roaming chf. The rest? Get games into eades asap but apart from that, we need to trade hard and aggressive for two decent forwards

I agree we need better forward personnel, but it’s not 100%, coaching is at least part of the equation. I agree with the three you chose, and I would like a gorilla like Patton if possible, although Hooker can also do this, Walla resting forward from the midfield next year has great potential, Langford is showing a lot of potential also. And we are only beginning with Long (although still potential more than reality) as we are hoping for Laverde. Colyer will be helpful too.

I might be an optimist, but I think if we can get a decent forward coach, improved supply from the midfield next year (we will definitely improve there) we might be able to find a combination that is greater than the sum of its parts, but unfortunately our circumstances dictate this could take a while before we have the possibility of gelling.

Have a look at the St K game.

Clearances: 46 to 23
I50s: 67 to 40,
Shots on goal from IS 50s : 32 to 18
Goals from these shots: 16 to 9

We have pretty much the same goal conversion rate as St Kilda .

Its always good to improve out goal conversion but its not the main problem.

Win more clearances increase chance of more I50s which in turn increase shots on goal and increase number of goals.

Lets see what happens next year.

Might help if the defenders’ first option was to look forward and go forward quickly, rather than the default option of sideways or backwards.

Might help if the defenders' first option was to look forward and go forward quickly, rather than the default option of sideways or backwards.

■■■■■■ oath. This ■■■■■■ me off so much

There was one bit of play (can’t remember which qrt) where Goddard was streaming forward only to stop and kick side ways because no one was making a lead.

What possible reason could there be that no one is trying to lead once we’ve got possession, let alone leading to a decent spot?

Shyness, aka Stagefright. Poor little lambs.

What possible reason could there be that no one is trying to lead once we've got possession, let alone leading to a decent spot?
Because everyone is running away from the footy as we move it out of the defensive 50.

So we all agree the best way to develop forwards is to bring in kids, demand they are replaced with other kids in VFL, then repeat the process?

What possible reason could there be that no one is trying to lead once we've got possession, let alone leading to a decent spot?
Because everyone is running away from the footy as we move it out of the defensive 50.

Yep. That’s what I’ve seen happening. Half the time they are 50m away and running away meaning they don’t even become an option.

I can’t recall how many times in the past two years that looked up, seen some good space to lead into only to see out players running the opposite direction.

Where and when to start leading needs to be improved.

Funnily enough…
The only player I’ve seen lead into space towards the ball carrier was Langford against North and Brown a few other times. Those two seem to lead towards the ball carrier more often than not.
More often than not, Joe D either stands still or runs perpendicular to the ball carrier (usually towards the spare defender).

It’s both players and coaches at fault. Our forward line has been battling at best and that won’t change anytime soon.

We have to put together six forwards who work well together.
We have Brown, Joe D, Langford and Orazio at early stages of developing how to play their role. Brown is likely to be replaced with Hooker next year.
We need to find another two or three more that aren’t midfielders resting in the forward line not offering goal kicking potential.

Yes but this is an overall coaching issue rather than forward line specific. The whole team are buying into the “press” and I’m not sure the way we have it structured can work.

Yep. That’s what I’ve seen happening. Half the time they are 50m away and running away meaning they don’t even become an option.

I can’t recall how many times in the past two years that looked up, seen some good space to lead into only to see out players running the opposite direction.

Where and when to start leading needs to be improved.

Funnily enough…
The only player I’ve seen lead into space towards the ball carrier was Langford against North and Brown a few other times. Those two seem to lead towards the ball carrier more often than not.
More often than not, Joe D either stands still or runs perpendicular to the ball carrier (usually towards the spare defender).

It’s both players and coaches at fault. Our forward line has been battling at best and that won’t change anytime soon.

We have to put together six forwards who work well together.
We have Brown, Joe D, Langford and Orazio at early stages of developing how to play their role. Brown is likely to be replaced with Hooker next year.
We need to find another two or three more that aren’t midfielders resting in the forward line not offering goal kicking potential.

If brown is replaced by Hooker I’ll go spare. Him and Langford are the only two that look anything like they know how to act as forwards. Replace someone else with Hooker.

Yes but this is an overall coaching issue rather than forward line specific. The whole team are buying into the “press” and I’m not sure the way we have it structured can work.

Truth.

All well and good to run a full field press, but there needs to be a plan/structure to run once they actually get the footy (ie: main objective of the press)

Said it before, say it again. Leave 3 players permanently in our forward line. 1 (Brown/JD) to mark, 2 (fanta, resting mid) to crumb. Then if our players break out of defence they will have someone to kick it to.

If we could some how snare Patton for pick 19, then decided to pick Ben Ainsworth with pick 1. It would add a whole new dimension to our forwardline. It means Daniher can pay the traditional CHF position.
You could then rotate Brown, Langford & Bellchambers as your third tall options.

Might help if the defenders' first option was to look forward and go forward quickly, rather than the default option of sideways or backwards.

Or do they go sideways and backwards because no-one is presenting an option up the line?

So Joe is pretty much like when your little brother picks up the second controller in your Atari game and has no idea where his character is or is going on the screen, running into the bad guys and getting killed all the time?

Said it before, say it again. Leave 3 players permanently in our forward line. 1 (Brown/JD) to mark, 2 (fanta, resting mid) to crumb. Then if our players break out of defence they will have someone to kick it to.

that doesn’t work well, other coaches have tried that but the defenders run off the forwards and are able to add bodies to push the ball towards their goals. It might work occasionally but the ledger seems to indicate it costs more than it gains. All teams have this issue.

So it comes back to the midfield, if they win the ball and control the ball you win the game.

So Joe is pretty much like when your little brother picks up the second controller in your Atari game and has no idea where his character is or is going on the screen, running into the bad guys and getting killed all the time?

I went to the game at etihad stadium against the roos and he came near the fence and i was astounded at how a bloke that ■■■■■■ tall can’t even come close to being dangerous as a forward or take a few overhead contested marks per game. Now it makes sense, clueless.