ISO Sunday Session: Which Freezer Pie brand is best?

Ocean Chef Salmon Parcels - in the frozen fish section at Woolworths

Pies you say.

Some fantastic memories in this thread. Whenever we used to visit my grandparents in Geelong we’d have a Beaumont’s (I think) until “that rubbish from bendigo” Gillies took over. Wonder if either of them are still around…

I don’t mind a Boscastle Thai Chicken these days, but their plain are pretty good.

My kids think Tony is running a undercover operations at TonySpies.

3 Likes

I was working in Fitzroy in the late 80s when Bocastle first started up in a little shop in Gertrude Street and always found their product to be most delicious.

3 Likes

Oh yes, Bocastle are so yum.

2 Likes

How much were pies at your school shop?

We only had sausage rolls - which were 25 cents.

Sunnyboys were 5 cents and Paddle Pops were 20 cents

If your asking Noonan it would be in shillings and pence.

4 Likes

Anyone else checked out Matt Wilkinson’s pie shop on Nicholson st Brunswick East (next door to where Pope Joan used to be). Pricey but seriously good pies.

1 Like

Have been past 1000 times but never actually given it a go. Will put in the list for when we come out the other side of this thing.

1 Like

As a local who spent a load of time in Beechworth may I just say:

Beechworth Bakery is tremendously overrated. Apart from their Beesting cake which is actually magnificent.

If you’re in the NE of Victoria and want a pie - go to Yackandandah Bakery, Howlong Bakery, or Parker’s Pies in Rutherglen!

But so far as supermarket pies, I used to dig the Snowy River Meat Pies.

Now I’m in Scotland and if I go to the footy I have to suffer the ignominy that is a Scotch Pie. On the plus side - there is always Bovril.

5 Likes

sausage rolls as part of primary school lunch order.

now thats a throw back.

and golden bake (?) sausage rolls

1 Like

Cheap but good.

If you’re ever in Horsham check out Conway’s Pies, although prepare to wait a bit.
I don’t actually rate their pie pies, but their fancy pies are very, very good.
And you might see that old blitz reprobate Boltsisgood baking out the back.

But also go to Superfeast across the road for a Florrie.
And the Bull and Mouth for a stupid big parma.

1 Like

Also up your way.

In Harrietville there ain’t much, but there is a baker. Make unreal pies, pasties and legit amazing pretzels. Also home made bbq sauce.

1 Like

Well depends if primary or secondary school. I can’t remember what pies cost in primary school, but a piece of flake from the fish and chips shop was ten pence. (10 cents in the new money that was soon to arrive) So it couldn’t have been much. And there was no such thing as a paddle pop. Hadn’t been invented yet

1 Like

We had a fish and chip shop across the road from my primary school. They’d do lunch deliveries for us everyday. Alittle more expensive than the canteen but sooo much better food.

You know what’s good fish’n’chips fish for me?
I mean, obviously the batter’s gotta be right…can’t have that orange stuff…
But…if it’s got this thin layer of…oil? Maybe some sort of reaction between the batter and the fish?
If it’s got that, ooooh baby…

Any love for Chris and Di’s Fantastic Pies* on the Western Highway at Stawell? My memory is that they aren’t too bad, and certainly better than stopping at McDonalds!

*I don’t think that’s its name, Chris and Di’s Pies and Cakes or something?

They’re certainly very respected in Stawell.
But we would always stop at the little bakery in Beaufort on the way to Melbourne.

3 Likes

Deniliquin Bakery on the Cobb Highway. Best potato pies ever.

Ooooh, I’d love to do a taste test with Conway’s on that challenge.

Edit: Not to go on about it, but they’ve had several offers to franchise.
But the owner is like, ‘I’m doing very nicely, I have queues out the door, that seems a lot of work and I’m not running around making sure everyone does it right.’

1 Like

Love a good rat coffin but i generally don’t get em from the supermarket. Small bakeries are the go. Boscastle are really good and usually available at supermarkets though.