It's the BYE game - Choose your own adventure

1901 Semi Final.

In that low scoring era (yes, even lower than EFC’s 2016 side), Albert Thurgood playing CHF scored five of Essendon’s six goals to win us the game. Contemporaries said this was one of the best individual games ever.

Next week, he followed up to kick half of the team’s score to win yet another flag for Essendon. In that game - against Collingwood - one of his goals was scored with an 86-yard drop-kick, and another was scored with a 93-yard place-kick into a strong head wind.

For the young ones, even Fletch playing under the Etihad dome with no wind disadvantage never kicked the footy that FAR, let alone kick a goal that distance.

Ahaha there’s no way he kicked a 93 yard place kick. 85 meters??

The details came from a couple of websites, including EFC’s. Are you saying our Club would lie about one of its greatest Champions?

1901 Semi Final.

In that low scoring era (yes, even lower than EFC’s 2016 side), Albert Thurgood playing CHF scored five of Essendon’s six goals to win us the game. Contemporaries said this was one of the best individual games ever.

Next week, he followed up to kick half of the team’s score to win yet another flag for Essendon. In that game - against Collingwood - one of his goals was scored with an 86-yard drop-kick, and another was scored with a 93-yard place-kick into a strong head wind.

For the young ones, even Fletch playing under the Etihad dome with no wind disadvantage never kicked the footy that FAR, let alone kick a goal that distance.

The details came from a couple of websites, including EFC’s. Are you saying our Club would lie about one of its greatest Champions?

That website… not always the most accurate source.

I too was at the 93 cats game. Ablett kicked 7 goals 7 behinds in the first half! Then 7 goals straight in the second half.

Was also at the centenary game for boris (and longy :frowning: ) - it was one of the most fun and enjoyable games I’ve been to.

Was also at the Melbourne comeback game in 92. The last quarter was simply epic. So many bomber heroes.

Also at all 4 finals in 93… Just a dream month that will never be topped.

the game I’d always like to return to would be the 93 grand final. The day was just a celebration against the rival I most like to beat. After the draw against them earlier in the year… The qualifying final loss with injured players, Gavin’s Brownlow win over diesel it was such a satisfying day which literally no one expected at the start of the year. Great day, great team, the best era for football. We win.

Soooo jealous

Centenary game. I remember watching it as a teen in country Vic just going off watching Boris fresh off the knee reco kick 9. He kicked a couple of absolute belters too IIRC

1901 Semi Final.

What is the longest AFL kick ever?

Approx. 85 metres. Ben Graham (Geelong V Port Adelaide Rd 19 1999)

The longest kick in Australian football history is 107+ or 109+ yards, depending on source, kicked by Albert Thurgood, using a place kick back in about 1899.

1901 Semi Final.

The longest kick in Australian football history is 107+ or 109+ yards, depending on source, kicked by Albert Thurgood, using a place kick back in about 1899.

Found this page, which shows the records & takes up the debate, one type V another.

Looks an interesting site too, might spend some time there later.

http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/article36-The-Longest-Kick-in-Football-History-or-not

I’d like to go to a game I watched on TV, not being able to get a ticket - 93 or 2000 GF.

If anyone can help me out, that would be cool.

Even when we are playing crap I hate the bye weekends with a passion.

I wouldn’t mind revisiting Lloydy’s first 100 goal game against the Roos. So much joy in 1 game.

I’d go back to the round 1 game v the Cats when Jay Neagle played on and got tackled in the goal square. I’d word him up prior to the game, he’d kick the goal, we’d win the game, he’d go on to be a triple Coleman medalist, Knighta an Essendon life member and the world would be better.

I'd go back to the round 1 game v the Cats when Jay Neagle played on and got tackled in the goal square. I'd word him up prior to the game, he'd kick the goal, we'd win the game, he'd go on to be a triple Coleman medalist, Knighta an Essendon life member and the world would be better.

It’s painful to think about how different things might’ve actually been if we won that night…and we shouldve, we absolutely should’ve.

Similarly, if I could go back to mid-2012 and change things I would; I want to go back to how it felt in the first half of that season where we weren’t just winning some games, we were crushing teams. We were a force and we were genuinely feared for a period of time there. There was a sense of belief we could go all the way that year.

Four years later and this is where it’s at

I'd like to go back to Rd 2, 2015 v hawks. What a fantastic feeling that was after all the ■■■■ we'd been through.

Yep, was a beautiful day too.

Remember walking on the arena directly to the spot where Hooksey would have taken the snap, then looked around and imagined what it would feel like to win a game like that in such a fashion against the multiple Premiers.

It’s all us mere mortals can do is imagine.
I personally believe that my kick would have been prettier off the boot, and my celebration less gracious !

I did exactly the same thing!

Although, I’d go back to Essendon vs Port Adelaide, Round 22, 2011 or Essendon vs Carlton both times in 2013. Was sitting in opposition cheer squads for all those games and the joy in seeing so many opposition supporters almost in tears was incredible.

That round 22 game was horrible if I remember correctly. Played absolute garbage the majority of the day, (port were near bottom at the time) except the last 15 minutes or so, I think Trav played a nice cameo, but wow if that’s the game you would go back to watch again?

I'd like to go back to Rd 2, 2015 v hawks. What a fantastic feeling that was after all the ■■■■ we'd been through.

Remember walking on the arena directly to the spot where Hooksey would have taken the snap, then looked around and imagined what it would feel like to win a game like that in such a fashion against the multiple Premiers.

I personally believe that my kick would have been prettier off the boot, and my celebration less gracious !

Although, I’d go back to Essendon vs Port Adelaide, Round 22, 2011 or Essendon vs Carlton both times in 2013. Was sitting in opposition cheer squads for all those games and the joy in seeing so many opposition supporters almost in tears was incredible.

That round 22 game was horrible if I remember correctly. Played absolute garbage the majority of the day, (port were near bottom at the time) except the last 15 minutes or so, I think Trav played a nice cameo, but wow if that’s the game you would go back to watch again?

Yep. Port clear bottom and we won by 7 points thanks only to a wave of goals late; they actually led by about 30 points halfway through the last.

Can I take Andrew Lovett back with me to have a quiet word with Andrew Lovett?

If you KNOW you’ll win, you can safely be REALLY annoying all day to the opposition, then smugly tell ‘em all about it at the end.

If you KNOW you’ll win, you can safely be REALLY annoying all day to the opposition, then smugly tell ‘em all about it at the end.

I never said about the quality of the footy, for what it’s worth both Carlton games were also terrible quality games. But I just wanna see all those upset fans again, end enjoy telling them what I think of their club.

1901 Semi Final.

OK. So Thurgood kicked the ball further than anyone has ever kicked it. Using a place kick which would be twice as hard. Into a headwind. OK.

Uphill too. Pretty sure the grounds in those days were played on hills.

And bare foot.

I want to go back to the 93 prelim with a noise monitor to see if we broke the record decibel level when Gus kicked that goal to get inside 3 goals after being 7 goals down at half time.

If it has to be a game ive been to going back in my life time Rd 22 2009 See sewell get crunched stick it to hawks supporters missing finals year after winning flag.
Go to the Grog Squad. It was AMAZING.

I was in the squad that day