Jackets Dodoro

4 Likes

Its quite astounding the drafting,even through the saga yrs and penalties,we have nailed/look to have nailed many of those late picks.

Karma?

one like just not enough.

Yes I did and they did it without a private plane. Just a coffee and a slice of cake.

2 Likes

Then there was the story of Hep and Shiel hooking up for a final at Maffra a few weeks ago watching the game in the back of a Ute with a slab of crowniesā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s chickens coming home to roost. We were screwed right when we were on the rise. Now we have a list manager grabbing all of the karma and using it like a wizard.

1 Like

I do wonder how much The Hanger has played a part.

Iā€™ve only been there once, but crikey itā€™s impressive, and the idea of that being your workplace would be genuinely enticing.

You really wonder how much a run-down Windy Hill hurt us in this area for many years.

5 Likes

While l wonder how much of a part Xavier Campbell has played in getting the club up, running and pointed in the right direction. Did he give Jackets a green light? Impressive efforts all round right now.

2 Likes

Are you criticising his character, or ability as a coach?

Sounds like you have some personal feelings there.

It would be fantastic if Stewart emerged as a major player in 2019 - would be 5 Sā€™s and counting.

2 Likes

Many on here spoke about the revamp of the recruiting/drafting a few years back and I think it is really paying off now.

I wondering if trying to do both recruiting and drafting and trading was too much and hence all suffered. It seems that Jackets does his best work at the trade table and we are finally getting our recruitment machine right both in terms of priorities and approach.

I believed we had turned a corner when we got Goddard but obviously the saga came and blew up the plansā€¦ but since then it has been strength on strength. Well done to Jacketsā€¦ I was critical in the past but hasnā€™t put a foot wrong in the last 5-6 years imho.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if our strengths and weaknesses at drafting stay the same now that Merv Speaking has retired.

5 Likes

ā€œCan I hold your phone for you?ā€

Jackets; ā€œNoā€.

3 Likes

Very happy with Jacketsā€™ suaviter in modo fortiter in re approach. Real Essendon.

1 Like

Veni, vidi, vici

4 Likes

Good job by Dodoro.
Paid more than he wanted to, but in the end, if you work hard to get a guy to want to play at your club, you have to pay the price otherwise players just wonā€™t bother nominating us because player managers will say, ā€˜they canā€™t get the deal done.ā€™

7 Likes

Early in his career, Dodoro had a trailer full of ice which he was selling to some eskimos. It was the depth of winter and the eskimos thought that they could get a better price if they waited until summer when there was a risk that the ice would melt. The months went by and one by one the eskimos went back to their huts to escape the bitter cold, until Dodoro was left standing alone with the eskimo chief, in four polar fleece jackets, staring him down.

Legend has it that the eskimo chief not only handed over twice the original fee, but that as part of the deal Dodoro also got to spend the evening expertly ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  all the women in the village. This is why they nowadays say that you canā€™t sell ice to the eskimos - the strength of Dodoroā€™s genes makes them the most feared negotiators on the planet.

2 Likes

He didnā€™t get what he wanted.He got what we needed though. Thanks Dodoro. You held your hand till the end. McCarntney was salty about last time. Oh well. Nothing to lose in the end. Well done old son!

1 Like

I think it should also be mentioned that Jackets got Shiel to choose us even though (if reports are true) we offered far less cash.

That is a really big point imhoā€¦ shows that we have come a long way.

Compared to teams like Norf and Saints who have to over way overs both for $$ and years to get anyone to nominateā€¦

1 Like

I thought it was a good deal for both parties. But knowing Dodoro is Italiano, it would or have burned him deep that he didnā€™t get ā€œbesta priceā€.