James Hird - Can't wait for him to return

I can't be there when he returns (living o/s) but all you lot promise that you'll go farking spare. Screaming, backflips, tops off, gun shots... lose your ****, be in raptures.

Agree.  Mainly because opposition are likely to boo him mercilessly.

Not even close to most soft tissue injuries in the history of the club, let alone the game.
Prior to Hird we had weeks with 24 fit blokes to pick from.

I remember one game under Knights when every fit player got a game apart from Danny Chartres (who had already been told he would not be resigned and had left the club). Rhys Magin (the next Mercuri), Jumpin' John Williams and Dean ■■■■ all got games. And St Kilda spanked us.

Yep - I seem to remember we were something like 2 or 3 injuries away from having to get exemption to play an unlisted player. It was late in the season and a number of players had gone in for the end-of-season elective surgery (knee-scrapes and what-not).

The Dark Knight Hird Rises.

In all seriousness, will the gameplay change  when he takes over?

So there's 90,000 at the Carlton home game - 80,000 Bomber fans and 10,000 Carlton fans. The players are warming up. We've got the We Are Essendon chant in going in full cry. Everyone's looking around. Where's Hirdy? Where's Hirdy? Then Skeeta makes his way to the cheer-squad end and slowly removes his head-piece .....

ultimate warrior style hirdy charging up the race with tassles and spandex and shaking the boundary fence, culminating in a mcmahon style showdown with vlad complete with microphones, miss elizabeth and a folding chair hidden in his pants.

What are the odds that round 1 2015 see us playing interstate for Hirdy's comeback.

What are the odds that round 1 2015 see us playing interstate for Hirdy's comeback.

I reckon you are absolutely spot on! I would be very surprised if that didn't happen.

I reckon you are absolutely spot on! I would be very surprised if that didn't happen.

Yep. You know its going to happen. Probably Subi. They're nice over there.

Always liked Bomba as coach, so if you have a successful coach why replace him. It is a moot point as  Hird is coming back anyway. Just my view which I am allowed to hold.

Well, you replace him because otherwise you wont have a coach next year.

Last 10 years we've had Adelaide in Adelaide or Norf away game round 1. Highly unpredictable draw.
Every. Frigging. Year.

it will be vs someone like gws at the g.

its all about the coin.

I like the status quo.

That being, Bomba coaching.

I think though part of the reason it's working so well at the moment, and Bomber is in such a positive good mood, and we all love him... is because it's only for one year.

Also, Bomber has also admitted he gets tired easily, and then things go downhill fast...

I like the status quo.

That being, Bomba coaching.

I have no doubt that the ideal scenrio from the start would have been Bomba coach, Hird the apprentice ready to take over about now.  Just about every Essendon fan would have had that as the dream setup.  Only problem was & is that Bomba doesn't want the main gig & probably only took it on this year through nessesity.  If Hird decided to walk away I don't think Bomba staying on as head coach would even be an option in his mind.

While the argument goes on about the pros and cons of a Bomba or Hird led Essendon, I believe there is one determining factor on performance that almost equals the influence that a coach has on its players.

And that is, the core leadership group that determines, and drive player standards and values.

Jobe, Goddard, Chappy, Winderlich,Hocking, Stanton, Myers, Fletcher..............

I mean this is an absolutely fantastic core group of men that would have equal, if not more influence on the performance of players, particularly the young draftees that look to their team mates for guidance and support.

Hawthorn (now) Geelong (for several years), Sydney (again,years), and Collingwood (around their priemership year) all had/have a core group of on field leaders that have seen the young players come through and improve  at a rapid rate.

The 18-23 players on our list get to learn off the blokes I mentioned above. That excites me as much as anything...........

I'll lose my ■■■■ if we play away for the 3rd freaking year for round 1 again.

I'll lose my **** if we play away for the 3rd freaking year for round 1 again.

Yes but you'll do it in such a small font that nobody will notice.

In Hird we Trust

Hope Rd 1 2015 is in Melbourne.

Essendon vs Blues would be a good season opener. Hird vs ? not sure if Malthouse will still be around by then.

Ok, the thought just occurred to me. And it's a very real possibility, and I'm not sure I LIKE the thought, in fact I'm pretty sure I DON'T like the thought, but here goes ..... Ess v Carl, MCG, Round 1, 2014 .... James Hird enters the arena and the new Carlton coach wanders over to shake his hand. "Good luck Hirdy."  .... "Thanks Bomba".

In Hird we Trust

Hope Rd 1 2015 is in Melbourne.

Essendon vs Blues would be a good season opener. Hird vs ? not sure if Malthouse will still be around by then.

Ok, the thought just occurred to me. And it's a very real possibility, and I'm not sure I LIKE the thought, in fact I'm pretty sure I DON'T like the thought, but here goes ..... Ess v Carl, MCG, Round 1, 2014 .... James Hird enters the arena and the new Carlton coach wanders over to shake his hand. "Good luck Hirdy."  .... "Thanks Bomba".

April 2014 - James Hird invents Flux Capacitor and returns to change AFL Fixture