John Worsfold

Woosha sounds like he knows what’s going on…

Woosha also talked about the game on Bomber Radio today. Basically same as what he said on 5AA.

2 Likes

I reckon his coaching style is very reminiscent of one J Hird. Differences in game plan but the steadiness, the calmness, the philosophy is similar. All the decisions Woosh makes I could see Hird making, and vice versa. All the failings Hird had with this list are still lingering, although he’s admittedly just at the start.
I assume that was a conscious decision by the board.

From the interview…

Q. Did we make a mistake not manning up the loose man in Carlton’s defence, or were we just leaving that up to the players to make that adjustment?

A. Carlton didn’t really play a loose man. They just sagged off our forwards. That’s where our forwards were a bit disappointed with how they reacted and how they set up.

In the last quarter we couldn’t get the ball forward. So we allowed Fark Carlton to have a spare defender then, because it was 12 inside 50s to zero. So there was really no value in us having any forwards up the other end of the ground. So we brought them really high and eventually got through them. I think we had Fantasia hit the post, Walla had a left foot snap, Zaharakis had a shot, that went out ON THE FULL, in that period when we did actually give them that loose [man].

Overall for the period of the game that was the area where the players have focused on. They were disappointed with the way they let Fark Carlton get a player that sagged off one of our players.

1 Like

If only there was some system where a guy could run out and tell players what the coaches* were noticing.

*Well, I say coaches. I mean everyone at the ground. And everyone not at the ground. And so far undiscovered tribes in central Africa.

Seriously. Just say you ■■■■■■ up.
It’s okay.
People ■■■■ up sometimes.
This sounds like Sean Spicer and it makes it worse, not better.

4 Likes

I was on level 4 on the wing. Looked like a loose man to me.

1 Like

Ah, but have you ever played AFL football?
If not, then what you saw was actually a mirage.
You do not have an actual brain.
Your eyes cannot be trusted.
Shut up.
We’re stabilising Syria.

1 Like

You’ve either had too much to drink or not enough.

1 Like

Does full trust from Stallion = goners or is that exclusively a board thing?

No need to withdraw.
I work shift.

I thought i’d messed up the quote function. Was going to re-type it.

Now I need a drink.

1 Like

The list you have at your disposal has a lot to do with a coaches success. Bomber gave Scott a premiership team. They probably would have won it, even without a coach .

Knights, Hird and Thompson all got this team to finals.

Hard not to see that as the benchmark for Woosha.

Surely finals is the benchmark of every single coach in the AFL. If it isn’t then you are not aiming high enough.

1 Like

hahahaha…true.

“I see myself as taking this team all the way to 9th”

Righteo - next.

the issue isn’t necessarily that it was wet, it’s how they handled the pressure of it being wet.

“hoping” that it doesn’t rain to much, is not really a great way to approach an issue.

The issue it does raise, like with every team, what happens when opposition teams figure out how to stop us ?
No good having an ingrained system that once set up against, is easy to stop.

The blueprint for how to beat us isn’t that hard and has been around for years, you set up one or 2 players a kick behind the play, and you pressure the ball carrier, as far to many of our players still have the habit of, see ball kick ball forward for no reason.

So what happens on a dry day, when we continually play into the hands of opposition teams ? do you want our players and coaches to go, well look we’ve practiced this way all summer, best not change things now, you never know it might start working out for us again soon, you know just cos.

There is no one magic formula that is better than any other, it’s about being able to implement and change styles within the game and within the season depending on how the opposition set up to play against us.

It’s not about hiding behind the excuses, oh well it was wet, we couldn’t play the way we wanted, oh well it’s not gonna rain that much anymore when we play, so we will be sweet.+

1 Like

Unless you’re Paul Roos of course.

Hmmm … this team has never existed before this year.

4 Likes

Saying Knights passed for reaching finals is a curious statement.

1 Like