John Worsfold

Lol, … the rabid Jackals are coming for the coach too already!!

Farken hell, this place!

7 Likes

Don’t know too many who want him sacked but surely he isn’t immune to criticism. Just like the players he has had a couple of shockers and needs to take some responsibility for the putrid efforts

6 Likes

Mate, Blitz is never wrong.

Woosha = Hack
Fantasia = not a forward
Ambrose = list clogger

4 Likes

Hard to criticise someone when you have no fkn clue what he’s up to though.

No coach in the league has the jigsaw our man is trying to piece together, and if you’ve never been there, you don’t know how it can work sometimes.

In his mind (I would suspect) this year, particularly the 1st half of the season, is just working a whole lot of stuff out, and that absolutely does not entail shifting people around in desperate attempts to win early games, when there is a plan in place and testing of players to be done.

I would guess his attitude is all about planning for next year, and if we win enough to make the finals in '17, well & good, … but it won’t be the focus.

So if we drop a game due to the returners still working back into it, and players failing at the pointy end of the transitions, he won’t panic & change shitt just to win, … he’ll just watch,then advise & correct, and let them keep trying until it works.

No one here has a clue what he is up to, and most have never even coached little league let alone an AFL club in our position this year.

The fact that he is not making all the desperate changes that another Coach might in an effort to get the points right now, should enlighten people to his purpose,. . instead of thinking that it’s him, rather than them, that has no idea how to do the job he has in front of him this year.

12 Likes

Hard to praise someone when you have no fkn clue what he’s up to though

Edit: just making the obvious joke.

1 Like

I praise him for sticking to his plan even though it might mean we lose a game, and set Blitz alight.
Coaches need the courage of their convictions in such circumstance, and he has that.
I’m backing him, because I can see the plan, and see when it works and when it doesn’t, … and I’m sure it only gets better with practice, … like everything …

3 Likes

Nope, it was a ■■■■ call last week and it’s still a ■■■■ call this week.

His comments were wide of the mark in assessing our performance on Anzac day, they would have been closer to the mark or at least bearable to most today. Nothing wrong with enjoying a good honest win week to week and venting a bit after a poor loss. And today was pathetic from our team.

The whole fans accepting mediocrity argument, as if it affects our long term performance, is a real head scratcher for me.

I find the posters that go truly overboard, both positive and negative (without a bit of jest, and you can usually pick up on that) to be equally annoying.

But there does come a point when you’re nathan buckley after 6 years.

I think woosha is the man for the job in the wake of the saga, maybe not the next flag coach but we need someone to steady the ship.

1 Like

See out the stars, teach the next crop how to train and play, set up the coaching and leadership structure. Hand over to Caracalla.

Always thought Woosha was brought in to just steady ship with a coach like Caracella to come in and reap the rewards.

All makes perfect sense, and in not so many words Wosha has said the same about not knowing what to expect, and that the second half should be better then the first. There are a lot of unknowns and for now we need to be patient with both the players and the coach. Its very early yet and we are 3 and 3. Its hard to gauge who and what we have achieved so far as well. Richmond got smashed by Adelaide, and the pies just beat the cats. The comp outside the top few is very even. We are not all that far away, and are playing an attacking exiting to watch style of footy.

1 Like

What plan?
Keep playing the same guys who are not up to it every week. If you say his job isn’t to win games this year and all about the future then play the kids from here on and most people would be happy with that. There is no point continually playing guys that have a) no future at the club or b) no improvement left in them and just being list cloggers

1 Like

The Chairman doesn’t start up the jet to speak to just anyone.

1 Like

Glad you are not the coach.

He is a good choice but is still sorting through this mess of the past few years. He’ll make some hard decisions over the next few months and if we are still playing today’s team in a few months then I’ll reconsider.

1 Like

Dont think my hardline approach would work at AFL level. You don’t get the total control that you have at suburban level where it’s my way or the highway :grinning:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, which players are you talking about?

Woosha has inherited a team that on the whole have the skills of a bottom 4 team. And a full forward who cant kick.

None of this is his fault. His selections however do make me wonder. Maybe the guys he rested didn’t come up and so be it. But why he continues to leave out Hartley, plays Hooker up forward and leaves Hurley to play a lone hand at the back I have no idea. Also Watson, Goddard and Heppel in midfield aint gonna cut it most weeks. Too slow.
Gonna be a long few years without a decent midfield

The midfield is definitely a problem.
The stats show we lost the centre clearances 18 to 10 while we won the hitouts 45 to 25. That’s just terrible.

Watching the game, any clearances we got went out to the wing or to the half forward flank. One of our centre clearances went to the half back flank. When Melbourne got the centre break, they seemed more direct and clean. This has been a common theme for us for years now and I realise it’ll take time to change bad habits, but I hope we see this trend slowly disappear through the year.

As I’ve said earlier, we are very competitive when we get the game on our terms. We’ve shown against the Hawks that it’s a winning formula, against Collingwood it was noticeable and even against Adelaide for short bursts we got the game on our terms and looked dangerous. The big problem is when things don’t go our way, the effort and want is there to try and turn the game around but the performance just isn’t good enough to turn the game.
Tippa is the only game turner when the game is not going our way as he still puts maximum pressure on the opposition to get the ball back. Today, our tackling and pressure just wasn’t there and when we had the ball, we were stagnant in offering an option for the players up the ground.

Unfortunately, trying to get the fitness balance right in the midfield is going to take some time. Langford is not ready. McGrath is needed in the backline more than the forward line. Tippa gets a token one or two midfield attendances per half. Howlett is not the short term or long term midfield answer. Other than that, it’s always a combo of Goddard / Parish, Heppell / Jobe and Zerrett with a splash of Zaka or Colyer every here and there…

2 Likes

That time may very well come this year. Don’t be outraged when it doesn’t happen to a forum’s schedule, though.

3 Likes