John Worsfold

the point is it’s easy to get caught up with a bloke maybe butchering a few kicks rather than looking at a good job he’s doing in a less eye catching part of the game. Often I find the defensive aspects or set ups in a game to be the most intriguing, all be it far less entertaining to watch. I went to the game with particular interest in how we would look to negate the Eagles two biggest strengths, they being Gaff’s link up on the outside and their intercept marking power from McGovern/Yeo. It was very obvious to me that we’d gone in with clear plans for McGovern/Yeo, going short inside 50 to lead up targets rather than bombing long to contest all the time and allowing McGovern/Yeo to fall back and intercept. Colyer was the perfect match up for Gaff, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do a similar job on Brandon Ellis who can be equally important for the Tigers if allowed a free run at it.

1 Like

Yes, I clearly need to work on that part of my spectating.

Just like Zaharakis, I’m sure I’ll improve now that someone has sat down and given me some honest feedback.

:grin:

12 Likes

:laughing:
Good by you!
:+1:

Since the Adelaide game where he was probably our only player to play 4 quarters he has struggled. His disposal is off and often he is taking off and fumbling the ball or over-running it. That said, he did improve in the second half on Sunday and I don’t think there is a viable replacement for him in the 2s.

Big game this week (DER!)
We seem to be ok against teams who are supposed to be better than us and who attack us and we hit them on the way out. Wonder how we will go against a team who is barely half decent but lets face it, have an inferior skill set than us and who will block up alot of space and try and choke us rather than try and beat us with their own game.

2 Likes

Just afew subtle changes in the gameplan every week… Luey actually had a couple of stints in the forward line unlike lst week where he went to the bench for a rest…might have something to do with the opposition.

As the players have said numerous times they are all still working it out , I don’t know what you guys expect but am quite happy with where we sit right now.

Yes some are making errors but hey I don’t see Jason Day going back to the web.com tour casue he missed a few fairways or didn’t get up and down every time!

The Last half of the year is going to be the fun part !

Trav is now a very good player man on man. One reason is that he is fast enough to get to the contest , also he is very very strong for a fast player.

Usually opposing outside mids say “good Luck Mate” or “f/off” at the beginning of the game then go their own way…Head to Head may be the closest Woosha comes to tagging, but its entirely reasonable given that Bradley Hill sliced and diced us the week before.

We simply could not afford to let Gaff do a “Hill” on us in the WCE game especially when everyone, including the opposition analyst warned us what Gaff could do to us.

No way we drop Trav. fcs.

4 Likes

The Tigers have been competitive in every game bar 1 this year, with a bit of luck they could be top 2. They have improved significantly on last year and have certainly been more consistent than us. We are in some form however if we beat them on Saturday night we will have to play near our best.

5 Likes

They had an easy first 5 weeks then got hammered against crows. They should have beaten freo comfortably on paper, so wouldn’t say they are that good of a team and while they have improved on last year they are coming from a poor base like us.

Hopefully we bring the same stuff we have the last 2 weeks and finish these guys off

This is the sort of game that will show whether we’re a genuinely good team or just a so-so one. Richmond have got some very good players and can play some very good football. We won’t beat them unless we play them with the same level of intensity as we played against West Coast in the first half. (Not the second half, when the sting had gone out of the game.) Good teams play full on week after week; mediocre teams have weeks off quite often.

Without the intensity we’ll lose and it won’t matter which names are on the team sheet. With the intensity we can stick with last week’s team, but I’d consider Bird for Parish (he’s looked a bit jaded all year), and maybe Ambrose (IF fit) for Hartley (who’s really just not quite KPP standard), but that’s it.

It was uncanny, 5 times in a row last game, this game we didn’t even do it once, in fact we did the opposite, we spread for kick ins

feels like i’m taking crazy pills

2 Likes

So pretty much every team in the comp this year is mediocre?

5 Likes

I agree. Intensity is very important.

A mediocre year.

Parish is not jaded. He’s playing a different role this year, therefore not as prominent as last year. His output remains at a high level. He is an aerobic beast. No second year blues for Darc

6 Likes

Parish jaded?
Has anyone spotted him lounging outside cafes, a half drunk coffee and perhaps a Pernod on the table, alongside the dog-eared copy of a novel by Camus, his beret slipping over his hooded eyes, ignoring the pretty girls passing by, whilst muttering “what is the point, where is the joi de vivre?”, and sighing meaningfully.

If they have then I’ll accept he may be “jaded”

21 Likes

It certainly appears that way.

I reckon there’d be a more substantial gap at the top had the two Sydney sides not had an early season decimated by injury. GWS are down to about 26 to choose from… and they’re still 7-2… Lot of average teams in the middle of the pack though.

1 Like

I think the only thing jaded about Parish is Shelton’s view of him.

Last year when Parish burst on the scene we watched him very intently and hung on his every possession as he was one of only a few positive things during the year. This year there is a lot more to be excited about and thus the focus on Parish is less and he now just ‘blends in’.

His numbers - disposals, marks and tackles are nearly identical to last year.

4 Likes

Ha, these posts and a number of others in here haven’t aged well… yes, I am looking at you too Lyn1. Ah Blitz, never change always fun to go into a discussion you haven’t visited for awhile to find out what those “in the know” have to say.

Seems Woosha was speaking some truth when he said it would take awhile for the team to gel and build confidence in each other, but what the fark would he know.

7 Likes