John Worsfold

We’re about where I thought we’d be at half way through. Though we’ve lost a few I thought we’d win, and won a few I thought we’d lose. Which in a way, is a better result - because it shows that we can be competitive against the better sides, rather than just beating the lower sides. 12 wins for the season and we’ll be over my expectations - just.

3 Likes

We are now at the level where if an opposition let us play our game, then we are a very good chance of winning the game.

However I do think we are easily beaten if a side lines up with the intent of stopping our game, and setting themselves up off the back of that defence. A side below us on the ladder is more likely to play this way, and as such we should get lots of practice over the remainder of the season.

The only other thing I’d ask Woosha to consider is playing a stopper on the oppositions best mid. I do think we’ve let a couple of blokes take us apart. If that happens in a final and leads to a loss, we won’t hear the end of it all off-season.

save your breath, it wont happen.

2 Likes

As apposed to the non-stop talk about it now?

2 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of taggers but I keep hearing how this is a thing of the past.

As a random sample, did any sides use taggers last weekend on opposition champs? If so did it work?

Ablett shat on Hawthorn. Did Clarkson have a tagger on him?

nobody really uses hard tagging/run with players that follow their single opponent around all day as it compromises defensive/offensive zones and structures too much to have one player out of position. Some sides opt to use Player X in a negating role around stoppages but that’s about the extent of it. Sides have been doing to Rory Sloane to good effect.

Melksham was tagging Pendles pretty hard for the first half at least. Reasonably effectively, but I’m not sure if they relaxed the tag after half time, which was when the game was won.

Melksham spent the last half as a deep forward.

Pendles is one worth tagging as he’s so damging if he has a second of time and space and hes not super quick or powerful. We also sent someone (Goddard) to him who did a good job.

Most of the the footy gurus say its much more difficult to tag the powerful inside guys and the super quick guys. Eg Danger, Martin, Ablett.

Coyler had a negating role last week though someone posted. I didnt pick it up at the game myself.

We are definitely assigning players at times.

Goddard (Pendles)& Heppell (Joel Selwood) have both been responsible at stoppages.

And it appears Colyer is our man for the outside players, spent time on Gaff and if as previous poster noted vs Port happened I expect that was on Polec. He is preventing those dangerous users of the footy/over lap runners being free.

And seemingly worked in all those instances without costing us any attacking drive that a pure negating player would.

Is in charge of the forward line so yeah I agree.

Did you say ‘as asleep forward’?

1 Like

He kicked a goal! Then spent the rest of the time looking decidedly non threatening.

Important kick, right on the 3/4 time siren. Would’ve given melbourne plenty of hope.

True Hap, but out of Pig and Melk, the loss of Pig has turned out to be far and away our greater loss.

Melk always did create a reasonable number of I50s, but has a low number of goal assists, indicating his I50s and general play are poorly directed. By contrast, Fanta has 8 times the Goal assists per I50 for about the same no of I50s both last year and this year.

Pig might be experiencing the honeymoon effect, but he is back to 2013 form or better.

1 Like

Woosha bathing in the warm glow of 99% of fans.

2 Likes

Obviously not many of the Blitzers did that survey.

1 Like

Hawthorn fans are a fickle bunch, they have just come off a 3 peat and a very successful time and they are still not completely happy with their coach.

Reckon I know who the 1% jerkhole is.

7 Likes

Obviously the results are wrong. I mean how can “Bevo” be so low? He’s coach of the year, everybody loves Bevo. Surely Bevo should have been at 125% approval rating - you know all the Bulldogs fans plus all the suckhole media.

1 Like