John Worsfold

I’m not overly happy with the coaches tactics at times but FFS its not his fault the players make dumb stupid putrid decisions on a weekly basis. Seriously some of our turnovers are horrific. You cant coach that out of dumb ■■■■■. I love Joe D but his efforts at times are pathetic. He kicked 4 but plays for free kicks too often. Raz is another who has gotten ahead of himself. Its time Woosha the hardass player became coach of this mob

3 Likes

There is more than one coach. There were comments made yesterday in the VFL thread that the players there aren’t being developed properly. Is there consistency between the development in the VFL and the expectations in the AFL?
Is there too much emphasis on players on the ground making decisions in the moment?
IS that why people like Jobe and BJ and others maybe aren’t playing to their best In that they might be expected to take on a role previously done on game day by the coach?.
There are a lot of questions that should be asked of the coaching team
Because whatever it is they are doing it doesn’t appear to be working. At least not consistently.

1 Like

BJ should have stayed captain IMHO. I though it at the time and I still think it now.

4 Likes

Hepp is not a gun. He is like Zaha. Got as good as he is going to get. This is it.

Lol.
This has been my exact bugbear for over a decade.

There is always an excuse. Wait until next year when it’ll be different. Or wait until such and such develops when it’ll be different.

As wimmera has said. We should beat Brisbane anywhere. No excuses. Same deal with Carlton. We should beat them anywhere under any conditions when you look at the talent of both playing lists. Unfortunately those teams are getting more out of their list than we are on the days we’ve played them.

We need to stop with the excuses. Players and coaches need to be judged on performance. Not on what our performance may be like next year.

If players aren’t playing to our game style, then punish them. Don’t care if it’s Jobe, Goddard or Langford. They need to learn that that performance is not acceptable

This list isn’t going to get us a premiership. I doubt it’ll even get us a spot in the 8. So we are just buying time until we decide to rebuild.

1 Like

No plan B (still)…

It’s not his fault, but who ultimately picks the team every week ?

you’re right, we have players who are a lucky dip as to what sort of posession they will produce on every single disposal they have.

But who has the final say as to who players week in week out ?
who’s ability to coach and lead will be questioned every time this club puts in a continued performance like this ?

I’m pretty ■■■■■■■ sure a fair portion of essendon people know when Essington is gonna show up, it’s not that ■■■■■■■ hard to see.

His job is to make people do their ■■■■■■■ job, if they don’t, or aren’t or are incapable anymore, then it’s his job to remove them from the starting 22.
It’s his job to ■■■■■■■ baby the ■■■■ out of these supposed grown ■■■■ men who still pick and choose when they wanna turn up and do the hard yards…

So no it’s not his fault player x can’t ■■■■■■■ kick, but it’s his fault for picking that player in the first place, and no doubt will continue to pick him next week, and the week after.

Fair points but the AFL cupboard is bare as far as I can see. As for removing them from the 22 where does it start and end. Apart from a few they all ■■■■ up continually, even the so called stars. I say move on as many as we can at years end

Biggest thing going against Worsefold: Not Hird
Biggest thing going for Worsefold: Not Hird

2 Likes

You guys never learn

@wimmera1

Mate, I love your passion, and you’ve made some decent points that I actually do agree with. But coaches get way too much credit when they win, and far too much flak when they lose.

I’m more inclined to place blame today on the players. The team selected was good, the match ups were ok (I’m a little concerned about Hartley to be honest), but the players played badly. Consider this:

Hartley: 1 kick, 9 handballs
Kelly: 4 & 10
Colyer 2 & 11
Baguley: 3 & 11
McGrath: 4 & 21
Merrett: 8 & 11
Watson: 10 & 17
Parish: 7 & 14
Stewart: 3 & 11
McKenna 9 & 13
Goddard 12 & 19

63 kicks & 147 handballs from basically our entire midfield and backline. Nearly 2.5 times as many handballs. From recent history, I know that’s not the way we are coached to play. Why did we do it today? Pretty simple - we didn’t respond to Brisbane’s forward pressure (similar to the way the VFL played vs Richmond) in any way, shape or form, and panicked under the pressure. Too many players afraid to pull the trigger on a kick, and instead wanted to take the safe option to handball. Interestingly - Gleeson had 12 kicks and 6 handballs, and Hurley 18 and 13. They were probably our two best on the ground. People say Langford was good today too - 12 kicks, 7 handballs. It’s not rocket science. Stop ■■■■■■ handballing, and kick the farking thing.

Could Worsfold have done anything differently? Maybe. The only thing I can think of is that Tippa could have gone back, because we know he likes to kick - but he laid 7 tackles in the forward 50, and Fantasia (1 tackle) and Green (2) weren’t giving us that forward pressure today. Might have been 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. In all honesty, today was on the players. They need to own that performance, and we will see what kind of coach Worsfold is by the players response in the first quarter next week.

14 Likes

Didn’t watch the game as it wasn’t on FTA. Listened to A Maher get progressively erect as it looked like Brisbane were in the game after all.

I like those three because I admire they way they play/played and respect J Worsfold as a coach. That they happen to be West Australians? So what?

Tell you what I don’t give a sht about, it’s pssant frauds like you, who offer the least amount of praise through gritted teeth when the side plays well but then squeals with delight the moment it goes wrong all so you can sit there on your generous backside and tell anyone who has the misfortune to share this forum that you know better than the coach of Essendon. What you don’t know about what is going on with that side could just about be squeezed into the MCG. You’re a sniper who comes out from under your rock when the battle is over. You love it when they lose. Emboldened. Tell you what, when the President of Essendon turns up at your place in his own jet to ask your opinion I’ll listen but until then, continue to take those short steps back behind the safety of the next loss. It’s where you’re most comfortable.

1 Like

Wow …

6 Likes

Woosha, Harvey, Neeld, McKenna…the latter 3 had all been failed senior coaches. We need to stop throwing money at ex coaches and go for some inspired choices. That was what we did when hired Sheeds in 81.

I will move Neeld on and bring in someone fresh. Then Woosha will depend on how he performs next year. I suspect if he goes so will McKenna.

1 Like

Time to take our medicine, have the hard conversations and plan for the future. Whoosha is perfectly capable.

I don’t think Woosha can help the players from trying not to play like millionaires who showed Brisbane little respect. This was always going to be a game that Essendon players love to give up. This has been an issue long before Woosha arrived. Until we eradicate that crap, we are a mediocre side at best.

1 Like

I’m a card carrying Woosha fan, but he’s definitely had a bob each way this year with regards to development. Most interesting team selection of the year incoming.

Bang on the money & precisely what I was howled down for in “the team” selection thread when I said this is a game our club have historically lost. I was walking to the game this morning with a couple of fellow bomber supporters alongside when I overheard them say that we must have a percentage booster today, I told them not to get too ahead of themselves, the biggest issue would be if our team “showed up”. I reckon we saw in the first 5 minutes what the mindset was, it was always going to be a struggle from there. This loss was so easy to see coming it’s not funny.

10 Likes

Richmond got Caracella. Different team. We elevated Mark ■■■■■■■ Neeld.

2 Likes

Did anyone notice that Brisbane started the game with only 4 forwards? Our players had no idea how to respond. Also why we can’t go man on man for centre bounces is beyond me. After Tippa’s goal they got the easiest of centre clearance by basically an unmarked player. Who is coaching that set up? While I am at it Kyle needs to be told that you take marks with your arms extended.