John Worsfold

It’s not the f*cking coaches fault you knuckle heads.

This has been happening for 15 years. Or was it Worsfold’s fault that whole time?

2 Likes

I’m curious to know how you expect the club to eradicate these types of performances, while also claiming the coach can’t help them from not doing it ?

First thing monday morning last week the message as soon as every player walked through that door should have been
DO NOT ■■■■■■■ TAKING THIS GAME LIGHLTY IN ANY ■■■■■■■ WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
If you do not turn up this week to play, there will be ■■■■■■■ specific consequences to ANYONE who doesn’t.

That or a similar messaged should have been drilled into these ■■■■■■■ players at least 10 times a day.

None of this, oh we want the players to self manage themselves bullshit.
You make these players know from the get go, you baby the ■■■■ out of them and constantly remind them they aint ■■■■ yet, and they haven’t proved or won anything, so until they do, they have no ■■■■■■■ right to get ahead of themselves and think they are top ■■■■■■■ ■■■■.

So there’s plently the coach can and should be doing.
the fact it keeps happening, without repercussions to most of the playing list, suggests it’s either not happening, or the players aren’t listening cos they know they won’t get punished.

So now it’s up to worsfold. Like it or not if he doesn’t change the course of this playing list, he prolly won’t be here come the end of next year.
fair or not, like it or not, calls for his head will start next year, if ■■■■ like this keeps happening, so if he genuiely wants to keep coaching, he will start making players prepare better, or he’ll be the main one who loses out.

1 Like

Thanks for abuse and comeback (that 's sarcasm if you don’t know!) If the players can’t follow the game plan then drop them. Our coach needs to be clearer with his message, expectations and instructions. The coach selects the team so I would say there is a fair bit of responsibility. Listen to his press conference.

If the coach can’t fix it we might as well not have one.

3 Likes

Well we’ve gone through 5 in the last 10 years.
7 AFL premierships coached amongst them.
I reckon there is an ingrained issue within the club.

That might be so, but what have we got a coach for, if not to fix performance issues? For any reason.

Is he a positive or negative re-enforcing type?

Recruitment / list management strategies

Lack of risk taking (conservative club)

Having a dud coach in charge of our midfield( the most important area of the groubd) was always going to be a recipe for disaster.

How mckenna got another job after the gold coast debacle is beyond me

1 Like

Brisbane managed to

1 Like

I guess one good thing to come out of us blowing it this season is that we’re (hopefully) not rushing to prematurely extend Worsfold’s contract, as we did with Knights in 2009 on the basis of a feeble finals appearance earned from a 10.5 win season.

Barring Ambrose that was our best lineup

Maybe bring in Brown instead of Hartley but there is noone in the seconds that is going to dramatically change the lineup (yet).

The team we put out SHOULD be pretty good and doesn’t need a great coach to beat the Lions minus Beams and minus a player down in the first

It doesn’t need a great coach to hold a 27.point lead to that exact Lion team for 1 quarter of footy

What this team needs is a ■■■■■■■ shrink to address the issues that has been plaguing this current group for the past 4~5 years

There is something not right with the headspace of this list, more so the “leaders” of this club.

My biggest worry is that this kind of attitude is going to infect the guys who are supposed to take the club forward (Parish, Fanta, Zerrett etc), if it hasn’t already

Maybe it is wooshas job to bring this to the boards attention and hire the right people to move the club forward.

I don’t know

What I do know is that until we fix the headspace of this list it is going to be a bad case of shower rinse and repeat

That and draft a mid with our first pick in the draft this year and get another gun via free agency

Wow, yet again a team does something out of the ordinary and we are exposed as one-trick pony’s. A trait of last 10 year of coaching tbo. Some coaches will adapt and change to all situations, others are hard headed who believe their style is the way to go and often get exposed. We have had too many of these types.

They start with 1-2 forwards short, extras back - even after losing a key back early they stick to a roll back/counter type of game style and we just do the SAME thing over, and over.

Then woosha says in the press conference we go efficiency inside 50. Yea, no ■■■■ they had numbers back and we just can deal with it because we refuse to change anything structurally.

This coach has said all season we will be better in the 2nd half of the season - surprise surprise on paper we have a ridiculously easy draw (on paper!).

Snake oil salesman this bloke in the modern game.

Come at me…

1 Like

I don’t disagree.

But list management is not why we lost yesterday.

I think the issue we keep bringing up as supporters, is that a loss is list management and recruitment’s fault.

IMO we need to stop letting players off the hook as ‘up to it’ or not. We have a soft underbelly which is ingrained in our club. Our mentality to winning is precious to say the least. We lack ruthlessness to win the games we should, yet come out the following week and are world beaters against the top 4 sides.
This ‘back up against the wall’ sh*t isn’t working for us. We need to start hunting the bottom 4 sides, not just the top 4.

A coach is going to need time to instil this. Bomber Thompson needed 7 years to rid Geelong of the ‘handbaggers’ mentality.

2 Likes

In Worsfolds first year as coach he had half his side leave.
This year he had to take on a number of guys in the back end of their careers who hadn’t played any meaningful footy for 2 years (Watson, hocking, Myers, Belly) and 1 year.
For me, these guys were thrust upon him. He wouldn’t have had a choice.
How could someone call for his head when he has not had 1 preseason to make his own list decisions?
It’s simply stupidity to make a call on his time at essendon and think you can assess his coaching of our club to date.

Myers, hocking, Stanton and howlett are all in the 2s. Watson is being treated with respect in possibly his final year. Hooker and Hurley are elite.
Hepp is not on top of his game but it will come, and Belly shows more than any ruck at our club and is improving every week… Worsfold has it spot on with these guys IMV.

We should’ve beaten Brisbane (I was there) and yes the loss was predictable. The apathy, lack of response to a mundane performance throughout made my skin crawl. I’m still willing to be patient with the side as I believe we have a young group that are teachable and hungry for success and a coach that has been great for our club and has been there before and can take them there.

6 Likes

27 points up in the last and we lose.
Coaches fault or players?
Or heaven forbid both?
You judge a good coach on consistency of reaction to unacceptable performance
You want all over the shop reactive coaching you get Rodney Eade.
If Woosha doesn’t move on some significant changes to our playing list at the end of the year then tear him a new one.
He can’t draft players mid game when they suddenly revert to crap soft form. But he can mark their cards.
That’s why this year is a learning one - we are playing better, but still have huge holes.
Better to have this shown AND do something about it in the medium / long term than paper over the cracks on game day.
Eg Parish has desperation and hates to lose - Langford, Colyer and others go missing

I recall he and list management group said the players returning from bans will need to really want to be part of what we’re building towards. Finals this year wasn’t out of the question but I didn’t expect it. I’m not sure if next year is going to be any different.

It’s been found that Hocking, Stanton and Howlett are barely playing senior footy and are list cloggers.
By the end of next year Goddard and Watson are candidates to join them as list cloggers should they stay on.

Tough list decisions must be made. Worsfold is a part of that decision making process as would Dodoro. The decisions must be made for the betterment of the club not the betterment of the individual.

Worsfold doesn’t need to be sacked at the end of the year, but criticism is required when warranted just like praise is required when warranted.

1 Like

Yep. The players and their attitude is the problem here. Coaching wasn’t great, but bullshite attitude from the players was the main culprit. They were arrogant and insipid. And it’s not the first time. Every time this happens, they acknowledge it, swear to do something about it, and then just repeat it next time.

15 Likes

Which players Reboot?

Raz, Tippa, JD, McKenna, Zach, Conor, McGrath, Parish?

Somewhere earlier in this thread, i posted that i thought Worsfolds biggest task was to fix the clubs mental state. Far more than the actual skills and tactics. Its not just the playing group, the entire organisation freezes in the spotlight for matches like yesterday. Its a circle where we fear/expect exactly what we then dish up. Target fixation in motorcycle terms.

But , on the coaching, i have little confidence in Neeld being good for anything other than player development away from gameday. Should not have a tactical or motivation role at all.

3 Likes