John Worsfold

Nailed it.

5 Likes

They’ve lost 7 straight, and the team that are 5th last have beaten them twice. Pretty convincingly bottom 4 if you ask me?

What they are pretty good at is getting teams to play their style of game, ie ■■■■■■■■ it up so nobody really looks good.

Let’s look at this from a macro level.

We have been a complete disappointment for 13 years at least.

We have never had a team with a gameplan since to actually regularly threaten the league’s best teams. The closes was in Hirds first few years BUT we still couldn’t score.

Worsfold has a JoeDan (freak), a rookie in Tippa, a pick 55, a GWS reject, a lions reject and an AA defender functioning as arguably the best fwd line in the comp.

We have a midfield that I continually hear is a few quality players short. Yet our best footy is good enough to beat anyone.

He has 18 weeks to build consistency of performance among a group having a range of emotions never experienced in the history of the game.

It’s too early to call him the messiah.but damn it if he is being stubborn to make sure they play his gamestyle 18 games in with a new team with the view that he is gonna build a period of success then I’m right behind him. Make the players better by working through their challenges. Don’t fix it for them.

And if you think Wooshas public facade is the way he would handle players behind closed doors then I think that would be a bad assumption. He also never makes excuses for players. Ever. never lets them off the hook. But scolding and sharing emotions of dissapointnent, anger etc in public only serve the fans and not the team.

Possibly the most important football department appointment since Kevin Sheedy (the first time)
Ok. I’m done.

22 Likes

He’s building a team to make finals and more importantly win them.

Some will say it’s to early to judge but what we are witnessing is team capable of winning a flag. Even if it’s not this year then it’s coming soon.

When we appointed him I was sceptical. I haven’t enjoyed watching the bombers play like this for a long time. Even in the years where we thought we had a solid outfit I still knew we weren’t good enough. This side though has something special and Woosha deserves a lot of credit.

5 Likes

Brilliant!

“But Norf were young… blah blah blah…”

It’s simple really … Worsfold and the coaches are arming the players with the required knowledge/skills and are giving them responsibility for charting their own destiny. How often do we hear dominant teams generally coach themselves on the day. That’s Worsfold’s vision for this group. He’s also very clear/ruthless/calculated in what he expects from his players. If you’re not doing what’s expected or don’t have the required tools to implement what he wants you don’t play.

Orazio is borderline AA, calling him a ‘pick 55’ is disingenuous to the highest degree. Similar for Stewart who’s a very talented footballer in his own right and not a ‘GWS reject’.

I think you missed the point: they’re saying we have a silk forward line.

3 Likes

Opposition supporters I speak to, for the 1st time in about 15 years, say we are definitely looking like tracking towards top 4 & should be there next year… Let’s not forget where we were in 2015, so I can’t help but think what an outstanding job Woosha & co have done so far… For the 1st time in 16 years we are belting quality sides, im really not sure why there is any negativity towards the coach, why would you wanna change what is becoming such an exciting ride

4 Likes

You know how exciting rides have highs and lows.

It’d be great if the lows weren’t quite so low.

2 Likes

Is there any correlation between Adelaide’s ability to score freely and attack and Essendon’s ability to do the same and Worsfold’s involvement at both clubs? Even if he spent roughly six months at the former.

1 Like

I believe he is charting the right course and I agree with his view on holistic leadership and how the team need to ‘manage’ themselves on the ground. The goal of any real leader is for the group to be able to make the right decisions, under pressure without the need for an intervention. The outcome of poor, egotistical management is that the group cannot operate without their astute guiding hand. Obviously there is a significant ‘coaching’ process to play out to get the optimal performing model. Also I note some discussion around motivation in the thread. Yes the coaches will attempt to extrinsically motivate the group and try to tap into individual motivations. However the real game is tapping into the core groups intrinsic motivation, this is where the sustainable power is at. To use an over used football saying “you can’t keep going back to the well” the players need to be self motivated to have true success and this comes from a culture that allows them to self lead, learn through action and define their own destiny.

3 Likes

Agree, a combined 3 minutes of terrible football against the afl & brisvegas cost us 8 points, which would have had us top 4 now, and if you think about that as a turnaround from 2015 form, nothing short of remarkable. The close losses are all part of the learning experience, Geelong went through it, Hawthorn went through it losing close finals… We have to go through it as well & come out the end of it of course but overall it’s really positive

2 Likes

For those wondering why Woosha doesn’t give sprays, have a listen to Fev :laughing:

5 Likes

Did Fev eat Fev?

12 Likes

I was watching that, it was funny.

I hope he proves all of us wrong that believe he needs to make more in match moves because come final times you can “expect” the team to find that spark within themselves.

I said it last year. Wooshs looks like an accountant that’s about to beat his boss to death with a thermos.

14 Likes

I think you’re right. I reckon the big reason is Rob Harding, who’s our Game Intelligence and Opposition Strategy Coach. He was at Adelaide last year and I reckon Woosh had a big say in bringing him over.

1 Like

Woosha emailed X to BRING BIG BOI BOB HARDING THE FK IN

4 Likes