John Worsfold

It’s the modern game. Gws, Geelong, Adelaide,Richmond all play a similar brand and are IMO the other well coached sides strategically.

Sydney get it right between the ears and have.an exceptional list, they are an exception I think courtesy of their game evolving in close courtesy of their ridiculous home ground.(surely should have an upgrade)

Knights didn’t drill our players as well defensively.

Good structure let’s you play on like we do from our backline onwards.

2 Likes

16 touches is more than we’ve got out of that half forwardy type role (Howlett, Green, Lav) for a long time. Not worried by it, but I wouldn’t be expecting him to have 25 a week at this point either.

2 Likes

I like Worsfold but he needs to surround him self with some young assistants who a fresh out of the game with modern tactics all his assistants are failed ex coaches.

5 Likes

I hate seeing cheap goals knowing someone in our backline should be the last line of defence aswell backward handpasses…how long does it take to clean those mistakes up?

Yeah you would think Woosha would clean those mistake up alot sooner than allow similar things to happen week in week out.
I think the only exception was our brilliant smashing of West Coast, nearly the best game I’ve seen on a long time.

Why not just make Kelly an assistant?

I hate these sort of arrangements, what if we won the flag in 2019? Would the incumbent step down?

It worked out well for Collingwood…

4 Likes

They are errors forced under pressure. The way to beat a game style like ours is to apply massive pressure and force turn-overs. The antidote to that is to create space, run harder and for longer, know where your next target is beforehand, trust - and above all, more experience working it under pressure.

3 Likes

I’d take the flag win.

So would I, but why ditch the coach immediately after, if that was to happen?

1 Like

Maybe…its easier for us to judge at the game or on tv sitting on the outer…when we see a player under no pressure at all it seems (no opposing player around) hand pass to a player hot under pressure, I think we as supporters ask wntf?
It happens alot and I thought Woosha would teach these players, go through these particular events in the game and show players in the ways like you suggest to diminish these errors. That is how we get better, stronger as a team or maybe I’m a little impatient as I watch GWS and some of their guys have been playing for 6,7,8 years together as a group, I see we are not too far away and can get better alot sooner, we have better players.

Reports this morning saying it’s pretty unlikely McKenna is around next year

Was reported on Talking Footy last night as well.
They tried quizing Watson about it, but he was surprised by the report and hadn’t heard anything about it.

Wouldn’t it be funny if McKenna becomes the coach of GC again? Or even Collingwood.

Hopefully we get more ‘fresh’ coaches over the next month.

I feel like we really need another Goodwin-style midfield coach. Losing him has been huge I reckon.

My observation would be that Worsfold is a strong personality and good leader but as a tactical coach he is ordinary. This is somewhat exacerbated by the lack of tactical knowhow and team success amongst the coaching panel.

We have no obvious plan to lock down on certain opposition players. I can’t remember one game this year where we put a tag, let alone a successful tag, on an opposition prime mover. In games when our forward line has been dysfunctional and Hooker has been down I would have thought the Hurley forward and Hooker back switch was obvious. If even to change the mood of the game.

I was amazed at the Adelaide game during the second quarter when Joe was on fire (3 goals in 8 mins) that the coach decided to take Leuenberger off (he sprinted off the ground) and put Joe into the centre bounce. Joe had the Adelaide backs at his mercy and a silly move by the coach cost us. But the way Adelaide played we were always going to struggle.

Team selection has been ordinary also.

Agree about locking in James Kelly as an assistant. Bring Solly back. Make Luke Hodge an offer. Be aggressive. Offer Josh Kelly an 8 year contract for $10m+ and this year and next years first rounder. You don’t need the AFL’s permission (or do you??).

1 Like

Not a bad point. When there was talk we were going after him, my two questions were firstly if he had the fire in the belly to coach again. No doubt he does, I think he got burnt out after 12 seasons coaching the Eagles, which had its trials and tribulations along the way. He’s been absolutely perfect for us and where we are/were at. He’s helped restore faith in the club, he obviously built enough good relationship with the 12 suspended Bombers from last year to get 10/12 to come back to EFC. As a fan I can only be positive about what Woosha has done with us in a short space of time, navigating us through a tough 2016 with a depleted squad, then this year reintegrating the returning guys with the players from last year and getting us on the cusp of a finals appearance.

The second question I had was whether he was tactically up to speed with the modern game. Last year we couldn’t measure it. This season is pretty much Year 1 with a full list. I think he is a very good manager of players, he’s obviously got them playing a strong, bold and aggressive style of footy. But sometimes we have been tactically naive. If we can get that really good senior assistant, tactically smart, a good game-day operator who can possibly spot something in the game and what we need to do to combat it, it can complement what Woosha brings to the table as that manager/coach. Would Rocket Eade want to step into an AFL environment so soon after losing his job?

2 Likes

Here’s one …
St Kilda - Seb Ross

Here’s another …
Geelong - Selwood

And another…
West Coast - Mitchell

That may not have been the coaches doing, Berger might have needed to come off for some reason and when he does Joe goes into the middle. Sometimes these things happen and can’t be controlled by the coaches due to circumstances.

It may well have been normal rotation but more than likely Berger needed a rest.

Saad, GC is another

Your assumption is that they are good coaches who fit well with Woosha, that is not always the case. Kelly may be a decent coach but how do we know yet? How do we know Hodge is a good coach? Yes it may well be worth picking them up but to assume they somehow bring something we don’t already have is not the best way to judge something.

Saying “let’s do something, anything!” is also not really how clubs operate. They identify who fills a need they have, they approach them or “advertise” the role and interview and appoint the person they think best fits the bill. Just because X is available doesn’t mean they are the right person.

Just ask Collingwood, who kicked out Malthouse because Bucks was about to walk to another job.

1 Like

Please enlighten me as to who tagged these players in these games where we dominated the game from the 1st minute. I would suggest that Mitchell and Jobe are in the same boat. Not sure teams would be too concerned about tagging either this season. And as first choice tag - Seb Ross really???

How about Josh Kennedy from the Swans who dominated the clearances without challenge. Kept to an ordinary game we win. - BOG

Dustin Martin, Dreamtime - dominated from the first quarter and let run free - BOG.

Nat Fyffe and Lachie Neale had dominant games early in the season. Collected 65+ possessions between them in Freo against us - ran free for the entire game - Neale BOG.

Rory Slone in Adelaide. Had been shown to struggle against a tight tag. Let free to run amok - BOG.

Jason Johannisen against Footscray. Had also shown an inability to perform when closely checked. Ran free all night and killed us - BOG.

In all these games, Adelaide aside, we were in with a chance at various stages of the match. The games and players you mentioned were one-sided.