John Worsfold

I don’t think there are woosha haters. I think most have commented on match day tactics. Not sure many disagree it’s an area he could work on.

I’m not convinced he will get us a finals win, but ■■■■■■ hope I’m wrong and you can all hang ■■■■ on me for doubting him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I dont hate the guy, i just dint think he is the right guy for us

I hope like hell im wrong, because if im wrong it means essendons going great which is what we all want.

Last year i think overall he did a very good job all things considered.

This year i thought was a failure.

There Shouldnt be anymore excuses next season

I do really think he needs a new set of assistants though. Would keep skipworth aroubd the rest should be shown the door

1 Like

I am convinced that 95% of people point to match day tactics have pretty much zero understanding of what actually happens as far as tactics go in AFL football in 2017.

Not in the sense that they are daft or anything like that, but that they haven’t had any exposure to it, and still see thinks like the Daniher/duckworth swap as match day brilliance.

I look at it like this, when people bleet out, what’s the plan b, it’s kind of like asking why a calculator can’t make toast.

Some people want toast, others want to find out the square root of Pi

The question should never be what’s plan B it should always be where is A falling down.

10 Likes

@Riolio

It’s a rich tapestry

Very droll

Ironically you answered exactly the way I would have when asked why Woosha and George Lucas are similar lol :wink::+1:

I will tell you the single one reason I think Worsefold is better than our last 2 senior coaches.

His plan he is developing like it or not is built around the strength of who we have on our list.

7 Likes

Quite often the reason A is falling down is because your opponent is better at doing something than you are.
Happens quite a lot.
There are ways around that, but I’ve never considered, ‘okay then…really, really try at Plan A this time’…to be the answer.

That is not a comment on Worsfold or the coaching staff, it’s simply a comment on coaching.

4 Likes

Hi SMJ.

Your post makes a lot of sense and I agree with it all. Good stuff.

The only thing I would object to is the quote I have taken from you.

I actually just think it is a small group of very vocal dissenters. I think most sane people are atleast satisfied with Woosha if not more. :facepunch:

1 Like

Spot on benfti, I actually find it quiet amusing. Just like the throw a hard tag on so and so because such and such team did and it worked. We have do idea what other parts of our game it will effect, and that team that taged that player out of game probably had a totally different game plan to ours.

Sometimes you have to mix it up aswell and try something out of the box. Chris Scott gets bagged a lot on here but that was a masterclass Friday night. Genius idea to run Blicavs on Kennedy and play Dangerfield one out from the goal square. Swans looked rattled and were taken by absolute surprise and it probably threw a fair bit of their planning out the window.

10 Likes

Probably because there is no Plan A and Plan B. There is just a plan. A complex plan. Within that plan would be ways to counter when opposition perform certain actions.

1 Like

Swans should have just gone to plan b.

Sooooo…what you’re saying is, someone should call Chris Scott and let him know that he has no idea what actually happens as far as tactics go in AFL football in 2017?!?

Longmire was given a good old bath by Scott Friday night. He played into the hands of the Cats and should of ditched the plus 1 very early on. Persisted with it way too long

1 Like

I’m a Star Wars fan too hanging to watch The last Jedi

1 Like

It’s a possibility.
But I was responding to the suggestion that there was a Plan A.
And also what seems to be the implication that if it’s implemented correctly, then it’s unstoppable.
That seems kind of…well…let’s be kind and say silly, to me.

I have no doubt that Worsfold’s plan is quite complex.
But does it cover all possible contingencies? I doubt it.
I doubt there is or will ever be such a plan.
And…possibly I’m talking semantics here, but at some point covering enough contingencies turns your plan into something else.

Maybe so. But consider - he had a Dangerfield, a Blicavs, and the rest of his midfield.

U try to bully but it usually falls flat because you attack posters and not posts.

I never said a word about Heppell and I have repeatedly stated how impressed I am with woosha off field etc. His game day coaching is poor.

Also to another poster, I have already discussed the positioning of Goddard. He was pushed up to the edge of the square instead the top of the fifty to block Franklin’s leading patterns. It was an error that took 26 minutes to correct and directly cost 3-4 goals. Goddard was left in Homans land as swans played over him.

2 Likes

It’s quite ironic that you’ve used Chris Scott as an example. I live in Geelong and his biggest weakness according to Cat’s fans was that he never mixed it up on game day when things weren’t going right. All of a sudden he’s a genius. Maybe Woosh just needs another 5 years?