Last Time They Met

One of my favourite recent Carlton Essendon games.

Laycock, Lovett, Jetta, Reimers. The whole gang.

Fletcher, Dustin
Hille, David
Jetta, Leroy
Laycock, Jason
Lloyd, Matthew
Lonergan, Sam
Lovett-Murray, Nathan
Lovett, Andrew
Lucas, Scott
McPhee, Adam
McVeigh, Mark
Monfries, Angus
Myers, David
Nash, Jay
Neagle, Jay
Ramanauskas, Adam
Reimers, Kyle
Ryder, Patrick
Slattery, Henry
Stanton, Brent
Watson, Jobe
Welsh, Andrew

What? No love for Nash or Neagle?

Great days.

There’s a peculiar fondness for an era in which we were so rubbish.

talk ■■■■ about nash i fkg dare you.

NASH! AHHHHH!
HE TAGGED NATHAN BUCKLEY!

On to the Swans
 and where to start? Still love it when we beat them in 2007 up at the SCG by 1 point. Mcphee was about 2m over the line when he kicked it to Mcveigh. Great win.

Yep
Great game to be s bomber fan at. Never seen a crowd go from quiet to feral so quickly!

Fun times

Fletcher, Dustin
Hille, David
Jetta, Leroy
Laycock, Jason
Lloyd, Matthew
Lonergan, Sam
Lovett-Murray, Nathan
Lovett, Andrew
Lucas, Scott
McPhee, Adam
McVeigh, Mark
Monfries, Angus
Myers, David
Nash, Jay
Neagle, Jay
Ramanauskas, Adam
Reimers, Kyle
Ryder, Patrick
Slattery, Henry
Stanton, Brent
Watson, Jobe
Welsh, Andrew

What? No love for Nash or Neagle?

Great days.

There’s a peculiar fondness for an era in which we were so rubbish.

talk ■■■■ about nash i fkg dare you.

Who?

Goodes misses after siren, we win by a point, 2011
LOL

Edit: Oh dear
that was the last time we beat them

On to the Swans... and where to start? Still love it when we beat them in 2007 up at the SCG by 1 point. Mcphee was about 2m over the line when he kicked it to Mcveigh. Great win.

https://youtu.be/eQFF-Ak-17c

I illegally streamed that one from Paris, where I was living at the time. Drinking two four packs of Leffe from the local supermarket for about the equivalent of 15 bucks Australian. All they could do was crap on about that incident rather than talk about Essendon’s win. The Carlton commentary mafiosi of Channel Ten although it sounds more like they weren’t on that night. You enjoy wins abroad that little extra, good times!

As a side note, geez I’m glad Quarterbrain is nowhere near any form of footy commentary I’ve heard during the previous three seasons. He’s another halfwitted, clichĂ©d, Americanised, hackneyed, boring AFL status quo mouthpiece.

What they never talk about regarding that game is:

1. the out-of-bounds call in our other forward pocket in the second quarter (McPhee again, I think) when it wasn’t — it was directly in front of the Essendon bay, I was in row 2, we went full Fark Carlton.

2. how stupid Spider Everitt is. Everitt punched a ball through after the three-quarter-time siren. The goal ump didn’t identify what had happened, but I was screaming blue murder 150 metres away and luckily the field ump had been paying attention and ran in to ensure we got the winning point.

(For reference, you can’t punch through a point for yourself after the siren; you have to ensure it comes only off defenders.)

There was one game in 1999 up in Sydney where Bewick kicked 4 of the most ridiculous goals from the pocket

There was one game in 1999 up in Sydney where Bewick kicked 4 of the most ridiculous goals from the pocket
I lived in Sydney at that time and borrowed a membership to sit in the stands amongst the clueless locals for that one. I annoyed the hell out of everyone that night.

Was there one at the dome where Alessio couldn’t hit the side of a barn, then nailed the match winner?

And the Lloyd one where he put on a clinic?

Was there one at the dome where Alessio couldn't hit the side of a barn, then nailed the match winner?

Yes.

My favourite bit of the latter was everyone booing Bewick for kicking a goal from fifty out on the boundary, rather than passing to Lloyd.

Was there one at the dome where Alessio couldn't hit the side of a barn, then nailed the match winner?

Yes.

My favourite bit of the latter was everyone booing Bewick for kicking a goal from fifty out on the boundary, rather than passing to Lloyd.

2001?

Yes.

2001?

Yep.

The Lloyd one was 1999. I remember in the first quarter I think Mercs kicked it to Lloyd who was 3 on 1 and I screamed out “yeah great, how the hell is he going to mark it 3 on 1?”
Lloyd sure showed me.

1999 elimination final where Mercuri played 40 minutes and still got best on ground.

Did the umpire pat Demps on the back then? That’s quite a nice thing to do if so (srs).

Rnd 1 2006 @ Docklands, Lloyd scores 6 first qtr goals on the way to 8 for the match in a narrowish win.

I think that it may have been the first six goals of the match or Essendon’s first six goals that he scored.

From Wiki The significance of 1981 is highlighted by the memorable and controversial finish to the teams' second meeting that season, which was held at Princes Park. With twenty minutes elapsed in the final quarter, Carlton held a 26-point lead; but, Essendon kicked four goals in the remaining twelve minutes to win the match by one point. The controversy came when, with the margin still at 14 points, Carlton's Mike Fitzpatrick conceded a free kick in defence for the rarely applied infringement of wasting time; that free kick resulted in a behind, and therefore did not have a direct influence the result, but it is the incident from which this game is mostly remembered. That match was the second in a string of ten consecutive wins by Essendon against Carlton.

Neale Daniher was the star

My first child was born that day.

It’s a date I will never forget. August 15, 1981.

I think that’s also TDs birthday.

Vids would be handy people

Was the Fletcher long bomb goal and tackle on Garlett the drawn game?

Also 2009 (or 10?) where we belted them by 10 goals and Lovett went on a rampage with two amazing run-goals
 and Robert Walls had to sit there and cop it in the broadcast box

Yes it was.

It’s seen us in a few draws, and it’s the only one where I thought the result was fair. Both sides played incredibly well.

Man, I remember this game but for the wrong reasons

I was living in Canberra at the time, and the Swans were playing in Manuka on that day, so I went to watch that because the Carlton v Essendon game was not going to be shown on Prime (they were taking the Swans games instead) and Fox Sports didn’t have the rights to show the game in ACT on Main Event like they did on Fri/Sat nights

So I had to watch the replay. Good replay it was