Lloydy predicts Half Ton for Buckets

Lloyd has publicly changed his opinion on where Hurls is best suited several times. I don't take much notice of what he says anymore, other than on actual goal kicking techniques etc.

Agreed - club legend for his contribution to the EFC as a footballer and will always be respected for that.
However IMHO more often than not he comes across as a flog with his media work.

Like I keep saying, Lloyd was a very, very good football player.

In any case, my concern about the switch has nothing to do with how many goal Jake may or may not kick.

the first sentence is a clear switch to the backhand grip

with the second, what is you main concern?

It's that few things are better in football than a settled, dare I say it close to elite back six.

Jake can kick 20, 40, 60 goals next year.  Who gives a damn if our defence is disfunctional?

Carlisle took over the leadership of the backline from Fletcher last year.  Fletcher.

As much as I dislike US terminology he ran it like a general.  That is ******* gold.

And the idea that you can just throw another guy back there with the same effect when the actual problem is and always has been that our forwardline seems to have been run by a special needs kid distracted by a shiny mobile seems to me to be stupid beyond words.

That's my main concern.

with all due respect to you i am going to go with what Bomber Thompson comes up with

And with all due respect to you, Bomber, and everyone else.

Our home ground is Etihad Stadium, we wear a clash jumper, we have a terrible membership to supporter ratio, we drafted that NZ idiot twice, Shane Harvey once, and played Reynolds and Bradley in the backline.  I could go on, but I would hope the point is made.

Edit:  Oh, and Henneman over Richards.

maybe it's time to find a new club then, given EFC is such a basket case

Yeah, you're on a wrong'un questioning my devotion to the club.  Try another angle.

The sad fact is that sometimes, sometimes, the fans know what's better for the club than the people making the decisions.

Sometimes they can back it up with reasons.

And appeal to authority is not a reason.  Come up with your own.

Lloyd has publicly changed his opinion on where Hurls is best suited several times. I don't take much notice of what he says anymore, other than on actual goal kicking techniques etc.

Agreed - club legend for his contribution to the EFC as a footballer and will always be respected for that.

In any case, my concern about the switch has nothing to do with how many goal Jake may or may not kick.

It's that few things are better in football than a settled, dare I say it close to elite back six.

Jake can kick 20, 40, 60 goals next year.  Who gives a damn if our defence is disfunctional?

Carlisle took over the leadership of the backline from Fletcher last year.  Fletcher.

As much as I dislike US terminology he ran it like a general.  That is ******* gold.

And the idea that you can just throw another guy back there with the same effect when the actual problem is and always has been that our forwardline seems to have been run by a special needs kid distracted by a shiny mobile seems to me to be stupid beyond words.

That's my main concern.

with all due respect to you i am going to go with what Bomber Thompson comes up with

Our home ground is Etihad Stadium, we wear a clash jumper, we have a terrible membership to supporter ratio, we drafted that NZ idiot twice, Shane Harvey once, and played Reynolds and Bradley in the backline.  I could go on, but I would hope the point is made.

Yeah, you're on a wrong'un questioning my devotion to the club.  Try another angle.

The sad fact is that sometimes, sometimes, the fans know what's better for the club than the people making the decisions.

no i am on 'you are the expert and know everything in hindsight and in the future' bandwagon

my reasoning is that bomber has been a very successful coach and knows the players, as opposed to you

That's my main concern.

I reckon you are wrong Wim. I think the only thing our defence will lose is a bit of height, and our forward line couldn't get much worse, so it is well and truly worth a shot.

I think Sheedy was a great coach.  Great in a manner that deserves the word.

I think, and thought at the time, that Henneman was a waste of space and AA KPB Richards was wasting in the magoos.

Does that make Sheedy an idiot?

No.

Was he wrong?

OMFG yes.

Tell me why you think it's a great idea.  Tell me why the points I've raised are wrong.

Good as our defence was last season with Buckets down back, l reckon we won't be losing that much from the back half if he goes forward and Hurley takes a place down there. Fletch, Hooker & Hurley can be counted on to tackle the tall timber. We have nothing to lose and plenty to gain if this works out on the forward line.  

http://youtu.be/LYdGVKgwM54

Less talk, more watch

That's my main concern.

I reckon you are wrong Wim. I think the only thing our defence will lose is a bit of height, and our forward line couldn't get much worse, so it is well and truly worth a shot.

Respect your opinion but disagree. 

I think removing Carlisle is taking something more intangible than just height.

I think moving Carlisle to the forwardline makes our top three tall forwards very samey indeed (T-Bell's injury notwithstanding), I think the actual players we had in the forwardline was never the problem.

http://youtu.be/LYdGVKgwM54
Less talk, more watch

Brilliant.

Hurley's backline youtube?

I think Hurley will handle the defensive general thing without a problem myself. And personally, outside of "the Egan Effect" I think he is a pretty limited, non instinctive forward. Carlisle at least has a clue in the front half. My only problem with it is the (as you pointed out) sameness of JD, JC and TBell. But I'm a dinosaur. I'd rest my rucks on the bench and run another genuine (and more mobile) forward. But I'm willing to give it a go, because we need a key forward, and in my mind that is not Hurley, so we try this. To me it makes perfect sense. The strangest bit came earlier when we recruited the gun under age FB and tried to make him a CHF, and recruited a big towering CHF and tried to make him a FB. I don't think we can lose by trying it, and we can potentially remedy our forward problems. Well worth a look.

I think, and thought at the time, that Henneman was a waste of space and AA KPB Richards was wasting in the magoos.

No.

Was he wrong?

OMFG yes.

Tell me why you think it's a great idea.  Tell me why the points I've raised are wrong.

OK i'll have a go then

first let's accept that mark thompson has been a successful coach, as has kevin sheedy

both of them have made mistakes, as you would might have also

mark thompson has had a good look at carlisle - his ability to lead, mark, contest and apply defensive pressure

he has also had a look at hurley, both in attack and defence

he thinks that the team would be best served by a switch

i reckon hurley has the potential to be a great one on one defender and he has great kicking skills (as real weapon) and could make a terrific key position defender (he hasn't set the world on fire in attack (for some reasons outside his control))

carlisle has looked the goods when he has gone forward. I have reservations about his ability on the lead, but i am just a bloke that watches footy from wagga wagga so what would i know

the thing is that i trust thompson, maybe not Knights, but bomber yes

That other guy going down back happens to be be an under 18 All Australian in the position he is going to…no mug.

Our forward line has been a basket case for a few years now so something has to change for us to take the next step.

You play you best KPP up forward, the reason for this is ?..

Kicking goals is harder than stopping them.

1. I pretty much agree with everything Wim is saying. 

2. If I hear once more about where Hurley played as a 17 year old (as though that's more relevant than where he has played actual AFL football), I'll lose my sh*t. It's irrelevant. What's relevant is how good he has played AFL down back. Which he has. 

3. I also agree with Boot. It is worth trying this switch for a period of time. 

My only real concern is, what if it doesn't work? And how long do we give it to make that decision? 6 weeks? 12 weeks? The whole season? (hopefully) 

I'm all for the switch, but as long as they stick to it. Whatever it is. If they both get switched from end to end every few weeks, then we'll get very little out of either of them. And that will be a genuine waste of what could be, the two most vital players to our structure

2. If I hear once more about where Hurley played as a 17 year old (as though that's more relevant than where he has played actual AFL football), I'll lose my sh*t. It's irrelevant. What's relevant is how good he has played AFL down back. Which he has. 

My only real concern is, what if it doesn't work? And how long do we give it to make that decision? 6 weeks? 12 weeks? The whole season? (hopefully) 

I'm all for the switch, but as long as they stick to it. Whatever it is. If they both get switched from end to end every few weeks, then we'll get very little out of either of them. And that will be a genuine waste of what could be, the two most vital players to our structure

well PP if you do agree with all of this perhaps you should also write a letter to bomber to alert him FFS

well PP if you do agree with all of this perhaps you should also write a letter to bomber to alert him FFS

maybe blitz should coach the team

That other guy going down back happens to be be an under 18 All Australian in the position he is going to.....no mug.
Our forward line has been a basket case for a few years now so something has to change for us to take the next step.
You play you best KPP up forward, the reason for this is ?....
Kicking goals is harder than stopping them.

No.

Was he wrong?

OMFG yes.

OK i'll have a go then

first let's accept that mark thompson has been a successful coach, as has kevin sheedy

both of them have made mistakes, as you would might have also

mark thompson has had a good look at carlisle - his ability to lead, mark, contest and apply defensive pressure

he has also had a look at hurley, both in attack and defence

he thinks that the team would be best served by a switch

i reckon hurley has the potential to be a great one on one defender and he has great kicking skills (as real weapon) and could make a terrific key position defender (he hasn't set the world on fire in attack (for some reasons outside his control))

carlisle has looked the goods when he has gone forward. I have reservations about his ability on the lead, but i am just a bloke that watches footy from wagga wagga so what would i know

the thing is that i trust thompson, maybe not Knights, but bomber yes

So I'll ignore you first and last pars due to plea to authority.

Forgive me for being a little prickly about that, but the fact is that this site will excuse just about anything from their leaders.

You're not putting your head on the block here, I am.

In any case, the other two recent coaches you decline to sign up with speaks volumes.

What's left?

You think Carlisle will be a good forward and Hurley a good back.

I think Carlisle has shown an unbelievably higher amount back and what Hurley showed was years ago, and not ever as the general.

I've seen Hurley destroy sides up forward and has been hobbled by injury and stupid coaching.

If both of those are fixed then...why change a settled back six?

Why remove its leader?

Settle down. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Yours and Bomber's (mine too) are different to Hirds. Are you going to write him a letter?

A different, well disussed/debated point of view is a good thing. People care.

Agreed - club legend for his contribution to the EFC as a footballer and will always be respected for that.However IMHO more often than not he comes across as a flog with his media work.
FFS all he said was he "supports the move", "he's good enough to kick 50 goals this year" and "he doesn't need to be the dominant force like Carey". I don't actually see anything flog like in any of this. Get a grip!
I would suggest this one as a starting point. This is the "western forehand grip" favoured by amateurs and professionals alike. The favoured grip of Rafa Nadal. westernforehandgrip_zpsb618c53e.jpg
Ah, but are we counting goals kicked, games won, sets won, or rubbers won?

Good response. 

maybe blitz should coach the team

I wouldn't go that far, or we'll delist Watson as a fat forward-flanker getting a game because of his Dad.

Oh, and people with no form at all will get picked over people with allegedly poor form.

Hey, that reminds me of something.  Can't think what just now....