Lloydy predicts Half Ton for Buckets

1. I pretty much agree with everything Wim is saying. 

2. If I hear once more about where Hurley played as a 17 year old (as though that's more relevant than where he has played actual AFL football), I'll lose my sh*t. It's irrelevant. What's relevant is how good he has played AFL down back. Which he has. 

3. I also agree with Boot. It is worth trying this switch for a period of time. 

My only real concern is, what if it doesn't work? And how long do we give it to make that decision? 6 weeks? 12 weeks? The whole season? (hopefully) 

I'm all for the switch, but as long as they stick to it. Whatever it is. If they both get switched from end to end every few weeks, then we'll get very little out of either of them. And that will be a genuine waste of what could be, the two most vital players to our structure

well PP if you do agree with all of this perhaps you should also write a letter to bomber to alert him FFS

Settle down. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Yours and Bomber's (mine too) are different to Hirds. Are you going to write him a letter?

A different, well disussed/debated point of view is a good thing. People care.

no i am not going to write bomber a letter because i respect him and his record. Neither am i going to write Matthew Lloyd a letter because what he said said was sensible and fair

2. If I hear once more about where Hurley played as a 17 year old (as though that's more relevant than where he has played actual AFL football), I'll lose my sh*t. It's irrelevant. What's relevant is how good he has played AFL down back. Which he has. 

My only real concern is, what if it doesn't work? And how long do we give it to make that decision? 6 weeks? 12 weeks? The whole season? (hopefully) 

I'm all for the switch, but as long as they stick to it. Whatever it is. If they both get switched from end to end every few weeks, then we'll get very little out of either of them. And that will be a genuine waste of what could be, the two most vital players to our structure

well PP if you do agree with all of this perhaps you should also write a letter to bomber to alert him FFS

Yours and Bomber's (mine too) are different to Hirds. Are you going to write him a letter?

no i am not going to write bomber a letter because i respect him and his record. Neither am i going to write Matthew Lloyd a letter because what he said said was sensible and fair

and i dont mind people caring boot! i get ■■■■■■ off when people dis lloyd for no good reason or treat mark thompson like he knows no better

Who writes letters any more?

Their not mate. T

My mum.

@PP a letter is actually a wonderful thing to both send and receive. It's one of the things we as a society have lost. There are other things we have have replaced it with that may or may not be better.

and i dont mind people caring boot! i get ■■■■■■ off when people dis lloyd for no good reason or treat mark thompson like he knows no better

Difference between general and specific.  Learn it.

@Wim

Hurley

11- 27gls

12- 26gls

13- 24gls

I’m tipping Carlisle will beat that in 2014 and so is Bomber.

Difference between general and specific.  Learn it.

thanks for the advice - anything else you would like to enlighten me with FFS

learn it??????? is that an instruction from you???? who are you again - remind me

@Wim
Hurley
11- 27gls
12- 26gls
13- 24gls
I'm tipping Carlisle will beat that in 2014 and so is Bomber.

@LWM

Go back a page, or even read one of my posts on the subject, see why I consider that utterly irrelevant.

Keep it civil kids.

@Wim
Hurley
11- 27gls
12- 26gls
13- 24gls
I'm tipping Carlisle will beat that in 2014 and so is Bomber.

@LWM
Go back a page, or even read one of my posts on the subject, see why I consider that utterly irrelevant.

I think I will just agree to disagree mate.
I respect your opinion about a solid back six.
Go dons.

it's hot up here (41) :) when does the footy start?

it's hot up here (41) :) when does the footy start?

Bah .... 41 ..... is that all ...... ■■■■■■ fairy!

*says the small puddle on the ground that was once Reboot

Not soon enough my friend. Not soon enough.

@PP a letter is actually a wonderful thing to both send and receive. It's one of the things we as a society have lost. There are other things we have have replaced it with that may or may not be better.

So.. you're saying nobody sends them anymore? 

No my friend, i send them and am lucky enough to receive them from time to to time (like once or twice a year).  They are on the the decline.  Would you like me to write you one (I had written him a letter...)?

No my friend, i send them and am lucky enough to receive them from time to to time (like once or twice a year).  They are on the the decline.  Would you like me to write you one (I had written him a letter...)?

I would love a hand written letter. 

I would love a hand written letter. 

will do my best then PP - i have but a thumbnail dipped in tar though

<span style="font-size:24px;"><strong>Forward thinking the challenge for Carlisle</strong></span>

Callum Twomey  February 1, 2014 1:00 PM

JAKE Carlisle is over a calf injury and ready for a permanent place in Essendon's forward line, keen to use the knowledge he gained as a key defender last year to help him in a fresh role.

The 22-year-old missed almost a month of the pre-season after straining the muscle in December, but is back into full training and expects to play in the club's first NAB Challenge game next month against Gold Coast on February 17.

"Over Christmas I didn't get to do too much because I was obviously injured. I didn't have a great break, but I'm back now, refreshed and ready to go," Carlisle told AFL.com.au.

Carlisle has spent all his time before and after the injury with the forwards group under new assistant Nathan Bassett as he settles into his role as a target for the Bombers in attack.

It is not a position he is unfamiliar with; he was drafted to Essendon as a forward and kicked crucial goals in big moments last season.

But playing somewhere – and staying in the same spot – is something he is excited to take on after last year starting in the backline, pinch-hitting in attack, then mixing between both and losing form because of the constant swaps.

"'Bomber' reckons Michael Hurley is best suited back, and for myself, I'm a bit versatile so they've tried to push me forward and trying to use my marking and running ability up forward," he said.

"I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be a good challenge. It'll be tough, but in ways I think I can make it work to my favour.

"Starting the year and knowing that I will be playing forward is probably better as a mindset and better for my footy and my development. Whatever I do down back I know I can do in the forward line, and it is the toughest position on the ground."

Carlisle emerged as one of the most exciting key position players in the competition last year, playing 21 games.

At first it was as a strong, smart and skillful defender, where he used his reach and competitiveness to hold down a number of star forwards, including Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich, Collingwood's Travis Cloke and Richmond spearhead Jack Riewoldt.

By mid-year, with Essendon's forward structure struggling at times, he was moved there to have an impact and produced match-winning cameos against Carlton and West Coast.

At times he suffered because of it, wondering why he had been moved during a game, and those thoughts distracted him from the task at hand.

"It's easier to go into a season or a game knowing you are definitely going to start in one position because you can prepare yourself for the whole game," he said.

"It is a bit frustrating when you move halfway through, but it might be for the best. You might not be going well down back or in the forward line, and it's the same for 'Hurls'."

When training, Carlisle has often thought back to what some of his opponents did last year as key forward options and tried to replicate the same running patterns or techniques.

That education, coupled with watching vision of St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt, who Carlisle played on last year, has given him a better understanding of what's required of a tall forward week-in week-out.

"I like to watch him (Riewoldt), but I also like to play on him because of the challenge and how hard he runs and where he runs to," he said.

"I was doing OK on him last year and then he got a few kicks in the backline. From then on he got himself into the game and I couldn't shut him out to be honest, and he finished a lot better than I did.

"That's going to come from experience. Another year in the system and hopefully that'll be me."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-01/carlisles-forward-thinking?utm_medium=RSS

HF:Zaharakis Carlisle Chapman

F: Winderlich Daniher Hardingham

Pace, Experience, Skill, Height, and a bloke with a great leap.

Not a bad lot to choose from with Belly missing.

Yes and in hundreds of years there won't be letters to provide a personal historical record of both great events and general family interaction. Of course every email, sms, snapchat, and facebook message that was ever written has been saved by the NSA but I don't think historians will be able to trawl through the billions of dross to access the relevant ones.