Local Footy 2016

Jydon Neagle took 15 marks and kicked 9 goals, including the first 6 of the match for Wodonga Raiders this weekend.

Josh Mellington kicked 5 for Albury, and Setanta O’HairPin kicked 4.

VAFA Premier sees the reigning premiers in Premier and Premier B yet to register a win. Neither St. Bernards or St. Kevins have won so far. Competition leaders are Old Trinity, last year’s beaten Premier Grand Finalist, who got a little bit of sweet revenge on the Snowdogs at the Snakepit.

Was at D4 derby between Westbourne and Point Cook earlier.

The talk about is that the Grammar are headed back up already and on what i saw, who would doubt that talk. Dominant.

They beat us by 40 goals

There are two senior footy clubs in my Town, both play in Ballarat League and are fierce rivals. It was the Local Derby last Saturday and the Bacchus Marsh Cobras and the Darley Devils. Darley were Premiers in 2015 and Cobras down the ladder, but Bacchus Marsh won by 73 points.

Interesting to me as in the past years many locals have gone to play AFL, and many of them (not all) were coached at junior level by Doug Hawkins at Bacchus Marsh. Some may remember that there was a young player who died on the field some years back, and the Team (and the Town) were supportive of the family and went on to win the Premiership, as a very solid united group. These guys are now the backbone of the senior team and they play with a passion and determination like I have never seen in a local league.

Draw played out between Vermont and Balwyn, although Vermont dominated the match

Draw played out between Vermont and Balwyn, although Vermont dominated the match

The story goes that Balwun had a 4 goal lead at 3/4 time, but Vermont had the wind. Club is devastated they didn’t win.

Little bit of house keeping from last week. Hoppers Crossing recorded it’s first win at Spotswood in 10 years whilst Albion smashed the talent laden Deer Park!

The story goes that Balwun had a 4 goal lead at 3/4 time, but Vermont had the wind. Club is devastated they didn’t win.

Little bit of house keeping from last week. Hoppers Crossing recorded it’s first win at Spotswood in 10 years whilst Albion smashed the talent laden Deer Park!

Vermont was up for a goal for about the last 10 minutes of them game

The story of Nunawading.

Before the season, the Lions were screaming for players wanting to get a kick to play.

Last weekend, the seniors and reserves combined lost by a total of 654 points. 404 of those were in the reserves alone.

The story of Nunawading.

Before the season, the Lions were screaming for players wanting to get a kick to play.

Last weekend, the seniors and reserves combined lost by a total of 654 points. 404 of those were in the reserves alone.

If I didn’t hate losing I’d be tempted to pull the boots on

Shout out to 2 former umpire colleagues of mine.

Alan Stubbs got into Premier in the goals this week for the match between Old Xavs and Old Melburnians at Toorak Park for his 500th career game (covering both field and goal).

This week we have a Premier goal umpire in his 800th game at the same venue as Old Xavs host University Blues. He too also umpired in the field and in the 1980s was on the VFL Supplementary Field Umpires Panel.

Onya Kevin “Chillie” Segota.

South east haven't lost for six or seven years.strong comp.

Murray who lost to South East often struggle to field their best team. Players often just want to take the week off.

I’m a big fan of the country vs city comp. It will be interested to see how it evolves.

Another week more umpiring milestones.

We start in the Bendigo Football League, where Dean Goodridge umpires game 1000 in the match between Eaglehawk and Golden Square. In the same game John Norton umpires in game 200.

Back closer to the city and Clayton Evans umpires his 200th VAFA match at St. Bernards on Saturday as they host St. Kevins. Evans has had a very long career, including 8 years on the VFL panel, and at least the same again in the Western Region. Evans’ time in the VAFA has been memorable, only missing one Premier Grand Final since 2007.

VAFA Premier looks intriguing after 8 weeks.

2 wins separate Old Trinity on top and Collegians in 8th. St. Bernards and Old Carey will both go down to Premier B at this rate.

Beaumaris are almost favourites to go up from Premier B, 6 points clear of Scotch and St. Bedes. Neighbours Old Brighton and Hampton Rovers in the relegation spots.

Mazenod are yet to lose in Premier C and are a game clear of Caulfield. Marcellin look set to be a relegated side, whilst Camberwell, Ormond and Oakleigh are fighting it out for the other spot.

Just one game separates the top 6 in Division 1, headed by Old Mentonians, down to Ivanhoe in 6th. Old Paradians and Prahran are the bottom 2.

Doveton based St. Johns are undefeated in Division 2, a game clear of West Brunswick. Eltham and Richmond Central are in the relegation spots.

Hawthorn and Glen Eira are undefeated are in Division 3. Parkside are set to go straight back to Division 4, with Aquinas, Swinburne and Elsternwick fighting it out for the other spot.

Westbourne are undefeated in Division 4, a game clear of the team they beat in the Anzac Round, Point Cook. Chadstone do have 1 win.

In other results:

Vermont heads Eastern Division 1 by half a game to Rowville and a game to Balwyn. The Elimination final fight is on between 5 clubs - Doncaster, Noble Park, Blackburn, East Ringwood and Montrose. Knox, Norwood and North Ringwood are in the relegation battle.

Keilor head the EDFL, from Aberfeldie. Everyone below them to the bottom two can play finals…Avondale heights and Airport West won’t and will be lucky to survive in the top flight for next year.

The WRFL won’t have relegation from the top flight this year apparently. Hoppers Crossing are 2 games clear of Deer Park and Werribee Districts.

Heidelberg are the top team in the Northern League, with a 2 game break to Greensborough, Macleod and Bundoora. Whittlesea and Lower Plenty set for the drop.

Dingley and Bentleigh head Southern League Division 1, whilst St. Kilda City, Cheltenham and East Brighton are battling.

Watched some of Vermont’s blanketing of Rowville in the rain Saturday…look premiership bound.

Fastest player to 100 goals this year is Rohan Baldock for South Burnie. 108 in 11 rounds, with hauls of 21 and 20 amongst the list.

Nunawading’s season continues to be discussed…in terms of the magnitude of the losses. This time in the local derby against Donvale, a week after Kevin Sheedy took training, the margin was 237 points.

Their total points for this season is 83.

Biggest match in local footy this weekend is the VAFA’s rep game against SAAFL this Saturday at Elsternwick Park. The full senior teams have not played each other since 2004 when the VAFA won by 85 points.

Josh Freezer may not play for Essendon in the VFL if required for state duties (selection dilemma either way).

Freezer free to play for Essendon this week. The rep game has been moved to Sandringham (once again Elsternwick Park not up to scratch).

Updated squad includes former Geelong player George Burbury (playing at Old Geelong now) and the man with a footballing pedigree, Old Xaverian Brendan Goss (all those Goss boys at the Borough).

There are two senior footy clubs in my Town, both play in Ballarat League and are fierce rivals. It was the Local Derby last Saturday and the Bacchus Marsh Cobras and the Darley Devils. Darley were Premiers in 2015 and Cobras down the ladder, but Bacchus Marsh won by 73 points.

Interesting to me as in the past years many locals have gone to play AFL, and many of them (not all) were coached at junior level by Doug Hawkins at Bacchus Marsh. Some may remember that there was a young player who died on the field some years back, and the Team (and the Town) were supportive of the family and went on to win the Premiership, as a very solid united group. These guys are now the backbone of the senior team and they play with a passion and determination like I have never seen in a local league.

Should have mentioned that Damien Cupido is starring for Bacchus Marsh, averaging nearly 6 goals a game. At 34, he is in good shape and a class above most of his opponents, and he seems to be trying for at least half the game.

Should have mentioned that Damien Cupido is starring for Bacchus Marsh, averaging nearly 6 goals a game. At 34, he is in good shape and a class above most of his opponents, and he seems to be trying for at least half the game.

After getting sacked from Airport West.

How would be if you were a Skobber.

St. Kevins met University Blues on Saturday and saw the latter at home manage 2.16.28 to 4.3.27 to win.

Former Bomber Peter Summers was oner of the Uni’s 2 goal kickers in the match.

SA currently dominating 9.7.61 to 3.7.25