Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

That Buchanan fellow must have really stunk.

2 Likes

Theres a history of people with no connection to the family or tragedy starting go fund me pages to make their fortune. Plenty of examples of it especially after natural disasters so make sure you check the validity of these before contributing.

Just saying

1 Like

“Why am I a troll” etc.

Looks like some algorithms need tweaking.

1 Like

One for every occasion.

6 Likes

no no no no you’re supposed to say “Does that make it untrue?”, and then I ignore that question forever

7 Likes

In defense of Donald, though his “there is always a tweet” strike rate is obviously in unprecedented Bradman territory, you can line up a similar set of tweets from Romney re:Trump.

2 Likes

The two tweets are more than 18 months apart. Can’t be compared.

FAIL.

5 Likes

Grabs pitchfork

2 Likes

Not Putin mind you. Unlike E12, I would like to draw a clear line of distinction there.

1 Like

Does anyone other than me hear DT’s voice when reading his tweets?

3 Likes

A few? Not quite. From someone who was actually there:

2 Likes

I hear Zapp Branigan’s thanks to Billy West’s twitter.

sounds like the Caddyshack thread

1 Like

Has Romney backed off his criticism’s of Trump though? (serious question)

He seemed to accept his endorsement which he had said he would not do. Possibly says a bit about what their polls of the GOP base tell them: A large core for whom unquestioning loyalty to the President is the primary political virtue. Look at who is willing to say publicly what they are reputed to feel privately: the retiring.

Looking at his wiki… err yeah he (Buchanan) was pretty bad… Civil War happened while he was pointedly not providing leadership.

I suppose it depends on what else we learn about the Donald, but I would have thought that Trump was better than GWB. Is that crazy?

It’s all about perspective, I guess. Bush declared two illegal wars, that achieved little other than killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people and creating political unrest in the Middle East that still affects the world today.

But on the other hand, Trump is a wanker on twitter, so it’s 50/50 really.

1 Like

I think it is a little bit more nuanced than that. GWB was a horrifically unqualified president who let the Cheney, Rumsfeld cartel run the show. In addition to the wars don’t forget he/they caused the greatest financial crisis of our times.

That said, Trump is much more than just a caricature to be ridiculed for his tweets. Putting those daily pronouncements aside, his administration’s dismantling of environment laws, racially biased decision-making, fiscally insane (borrowing $1 Trillion) policies, and a complete ignorance of diplomacy may end up being just as devastating.

Finally, just in terms of the PERSON, I would much rather GWB than DJT.

1 Like

Yes, I was being fairly facetious there, and I agree Trump’s crimes are more substantial than just being an abnoxious, unsufferable twat.

But George W Bush is a war criminal imo, and Trump isn’t that. (Not yet, anyway. Give him time.) It’s possible for the next president to ‘roll back Trump’s Roll Backs’ so to speak. But you can’t roll back a war.

Dubbya would be more fun to have a beer with though, I’ll give you that.

Edit: Actually, Trump doesn’t drink at all, does he? (Another reason not to trust him.)

1 Like