Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Quickly checks who Iowa voted for in 2016

Shrugs

1 Like

Some 2000 children were removed in 6 weeks of Trump’s forced separation of children from parents if they arrive illegally or if they seek asylum.

That’s a lot of kids being thrown into a system that, as E12 and LB have previously pointed out, has long-standing problems of losing children or not being able to account for where they end up.

Trump won’t lay claim to his own policy, even as his Attorney General does. Trump blames the Democrats, which is probably true only in a Trumpian mindset of viewing this as leverage to get his wall.

So using the children as a deterrent against even legally seeking asylum (not just illegal/undocumented immigration), but also as a bargaining chip.

Admirable.

1 Like

That’s a lot of tofu.

2 Likes

The bill that Trump is using was a bipartisan bill that was agreed to in 2008.

However I very much doubt that they expected this level of action to take place when they all voted on this bill.

This is the problem with these sort of bills, the fine print can be used by people with no ethics.

1 Like

Not quite IT. The original bill called for separation of children if they were in the company of adults that either couldn’t prove they were the parents of the children, or that were assessed as placing the children in a dangerous situation. Trump has decided that all children will be separated from all adults, whether they are their parents or not. So instead of separations for the safety of the child, Trump has ordered separation of the child purely to use as a deterrent. An inhumane and disgusting act.

5 Likes

Speaking of:

1 Like

That’s basically what I said, they passed the bill that allowed this because they didn’t think someone would use the fine print in such a horrible way.

1 Like

What Trump is doing isn’t in the fine print, it was a new piece of policy.

1 Like

So basically he’s following our morality then.

2 Likes

A long article that gets into the details. Upshot is that one of the many bigots in our bigoted president’s inner circle of bigots convinced him to go with the “nuclear option”.

I appreciate the extra info provided on this policy.

To sum up the current communications effort from the WH:

WH aide Stephen Miller, and AG Sessions: yes we are doing this deliberately
Homeland Security Secretary Nielson: No we are not doing this
Trump: whatever is happening is not my fault

4 Likes

I feel sick. We are the monsters we were warned about. This is on all of us Americans.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/whats-really-happening-asylum-seeking-families-separated/

Dr Seuss cartoon from 1941.

2 Likes

I suspect Don Mania and many in the media needs to get over Trump - You have to accept that American’s voted in ‘a clown’ as president - And he’s given far too much air-time - It’s a cross, America needs to bear and with pride.

You do know that DM is a resident of San Fran, yeah?

If Palmer were the Australian PM, I don’t reckon I’d get over it and be proud.

5 Likes

You secretly want to see the car crash, come on, admit it.

1 Like

2nd richest city in America. Lucky boy.