Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

It’s such a peice of art I feel the need to print it and place it in a gallery for teh lEfTiEs to stare at.

9 Likes

It may well be accurate, thank you for the article. I was thinking in terms of the acceleration over about 6 weeks since the decision to charge everyone, and hence split every family.

2 Likes

Is there a top post of the year award? It’s got to be in the top 3.

3 Likes

You should hear what @wimmera1 and I have to say about each over over a cup of bovril

3 Likes

Pfft. Funny how they’re sooo desperate to get there then.

#sarcasm.

Or a robot

beep boop due process

It’s ridiculous and pathetic, … as is the poster.

I think you are a person who would benefit from a bit of self-reflection.
Since you are a Christian, maybe have a fresh read of the New Testament while you are at it.

1 Like

A question, and a serious one:

What leads a country that has been built on immigration down a path of anti-immigration? Why have the children of immigrants become disliking of immigrants?

*this reflects in places like the US and Australia

3 Likes

Probably a question of scale.
I like alcohol but if I like too much alcohol then it becomes a problem…

1 Like

It’s nothing more then fear of the unknown.

Like all cultures there are good people and then there are real bastards.

Problem is the news always covers the bastards.

3 Likes

Possessiveness.

People who are wealthy & successful don’t generally emigrate - it’s people with get up & go who are looking to improve their lot.

It takes a lot of commitment & sacrifice to move countries. And once they have got up & gone they often resent sharing the spoils.

Every countries built on immigrants hated immigrants even as they were arriving. In Australia, the Protestants hated the Catholics, then both of them hated the Chinese, then post WWII everyone hated the Greeks & Italians, then in the 70s and 80s everyone hated the Vietnamese, then the Lebanese in the 80s and 90s, then it was the turn of the afghans, the Somalis, and the Iraqis and Syrians.

This mythical golden age of immigrants happily working alongside long-term citizens to build a better mutual future together never happened.

12 Likes

Globalisation and automation has seen a lot of traditional jobs go by the wayside. I interpret some of the anti immigration rhetoric as a way of partioning blame for accompanying job losses in those areas most affected.

2 Likes

All the studies pretty much show that immigrants are net beneficial to the economy. But what that means in real terms is that the immigrant is likely successful.

Even if that person is, overall, adding more to society than they gained, it is likely that there are some in society who are missing out. Now, that group were missing out before the immigrant arrived and after. But when they’re missing out, and they assume it’s a zero sum game, saying “that immigrant doing well is what’s costing me” is an easy behaviour to fall into.

And an even easier source of discontent for the unscrupulous to tap into and grow.

2 Likes

Plus during previous periods the countries had overtly racist policies like white Australia here, America’s treatment of black people etc. These policies have allways popular but nowadays they at least attempt to be inadvertently racist(boat people was about saving lives etc), at least until Trump who is quickly crossing that line.

I don’t disagree with the effect, but the cause is the interesting phenomena.

In most cases we are not racist or even xenophobic, but immigrants are used by others to generate more wealth by taking advantage of them in some way, usually meaning that wages are lowered and working conditions degrade. Reaction to the effect is the underlying reason for hating immigrants.

So if you take away the cause, the mean spirited, greedy, capitalist slave- owners like Gina and Twiggy, then we still may have migrants but they would be at the same levels as the rest, minimising the fear and hate.

Perhaps …

“Tender Age”.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/06/19/us/ap-us-immigration-toddlers-detained.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Yeah, that’s a weird enough comment to finish on.

Not in this odd example, but no one is this obliviously antagonistic.

BYE.

7 Likes