Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

Another falsehood.

Don’t forget Pizzagate. That was a doozie.

1 Like

Not politics related, but still quintessentially 'murica

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-gun-owners-encouraged-apos-213111921.html

What a patriot.

I see ‘The Swamp’ still hasn’t been drained.

Hard to drain it when you put an open sewer into it.

1 Like

He’s now twice given the Dems exactly what they want and got next to nothing in return. The Art Of The Deal. Alienating the Republicans in whose hands his fate lies, and his own cabinet. It also goes against what his base has been screaming for. He won’t win over many voters, most know what he is, but he can still lose his base.

1 Like

It’s actually pretty damn smart of the Dems. They’ve realised he knows nothing about policy and isn’t going to learn, so when he negotiates with them he has no concept of what the stakes are so they can put one past him every time. He gets to feel important and make ‘a deal’, while they actually get what they want (within limits I imagine, they’re never going to con him into a carbon price or higher taxes on the rich or anything of course).

Have to admit I would never have dreamed of that tactic. You have to admire the sheer brass face of it.

4 Likes

California have passed a bill requiring Presidential candidates to release their tax returns. Not quite sure about the mechanisms of how state laws interact with federal election laws. This is not a surprise: when you have a President flouting established political norms then the reaction will be to codify those norms into law. It has only passed the Assembly so far.

At a guess (and it’s only a guess), each state can set laws about what you have to do to appear on the presidential ballot in that state. So if a candidate refused to release their tax returns, they wouldn’t be able to even run in California. Which probably wouldn’t bother Trump or the republicans much to be honest, cos the Californian electoral college votes are a lock for the Democratic candidate every election anyway. If Florida or Ohio or other marginal states were to introduce similar laws, it might actually matter.

How mind-numbingly ignorant is that? How could you even consider that is an appropriate thing to do? It’s just… laughable.

That was my initial thought too, that it would relate to appearing on the ballot in that that state. Also that the Republicans would concede California anyway, though this unwillingness to release tax returns is all Trump, not GOP.

Wonder if California will pass a law requiring any Presidential candidates to provide a valid birth certificate?

It’s already a law, rather than a norm, that you need to be a natural born citizen.

3 Likes

LOL

Sucked a couple in. My work is done.

2 Likes

Twice that number if you count likes.

1 Like

lol

Now the US is not withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord? Possibly looking to reset its targets however.

Has there ever been a President that changes his mind as much as this one?