Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

The twitter employee who deleted Trump’s account for 11min today is a God. Damn. Legend.

4 Likes

Brazile writes the DNC was rigged in Clinton’s favor because her campaign was largely financing the party early on in the presidential election.

1 Like

Dems not doing themselves any favors but this might tip the balance into the Sanders/Warren wing.

Trump on the Larry O’Connor show says the saddest thing of his Presidency is that he is not supposed to get involved with the DOJ. I think that is the least sad thing, and thank goodness for the separation of powers.

I think the Dems should make themselves as appetizing to moderate Republicans as possible. I’ve seen suggestions from some Dems that Trump gives them the opportunity to move left and I think that is a mistake. Occupy the centre, be pragmatic. The whole gist of the Russian ops being examined in Congress and in various recent world elections/referendums has been to destroy the broad middle, and radicalise the left and the right into uncompromising extremes.

3 Likes

Like Malcolm Turnbull’s $1million donation to Liberal coffers?

1 Like

In not so sure. I don’t believe there are many moderate republicans left any more.

Worth remembering how tiny the turnout in us election is - somewhere around 55-60% I think. More people didn’t vote at all than voted for either the dems or the repubs.

Rather than busting a gut trying to turn around the votes of those few repubs who can be coaxed away, better chasing the 40% who didn’t turn up. They’d take less convincing I think.

But anyway, the structure of US democratic processes actively works against moderation in candidates. The candidates have to pass a primary first (in which only the most partisan vote). Means the moderates get shot down at the first hurdle before they even get their names on a ballot that regular citizens see.

4 Likes

As if politics or positions even matter any more.

Donald Trump won the election and I don’t think he even has any consistent positions. It’s all about celebrity and connecting with the electorate. Obama was good at this too, so it’s not solely the domain of one side.

The democrats need a viable person which is solely a persona thing to run and their policies are close to irrelevant.

1 Like

Republicans are disengaged with Trump. Sure, some will vote for him passionately, but many just don’t care for him. Mid term turnout is more pathetic than presidential elections. The Dems need to use this moment to push every seat that is vaguely in contention. This is their opportunity to win the House, the Senate, State majorities, Governorships. If they play it right, the Dems will dominate for the next 6 years.

‘Diversery’. Lol.

1 Like

If the gun debate has shown anything, they’re stupid enough he’ll get a second term.

Gee, the Dems really seem to want to distance themselves from ol’ Hillary. I wonder why that is?

First Donna Brazille throwing Hillary under the bus in her book for rigging the primary and cheating Bernie as well as possible fraud and money laundering as Hillary took over control of the party’s finances, strategy and all money raised. A situation made possible because the DNC was in deep debt thanks to Obama who ran the coffers dry in the 2012 election. No wonder Hillary moved in, she saw a good deal and took it. Now I wonder what happened to all the millions of dollars that Dem supporters paid into the DNC for Bernie? Looks like they didn’t get their money’s worth, did they?

Then Elizabeth Warren saying yes, on CNN, that Hillary cheated.

Maybe it is because of Hillary’s fingerprints now showing up all over this “Russian dossier”. How is it that last week she was saying that she knew nothing about it until after it was published, but then now that it was exposed that it was the Dems who paid for it, and Hillary was in control of the financials for the DNC, it has become just opposition research.…par for the course.

When Trump even used Russian salad dressing the left was screeching that it was collusion…

Next we will see Tony Podesta and Vin Weber being pulled into Mueller’s investigation. All links pointing to the Democrats. They just keep digging themselves in deeper and deeper. Seems like everything they try to smear Trump with is what they are doing themselves.

What an interesting time line we live in, but hey #IMSTILLWITHHER

I don’t mean betting the farm on that vote or expending all your efforts there, I mean don’t exclude the possibility with a lurch too far to the left for them to stomach. The moderate republican exists, or at least the disenfranchised one. Leave the door ajar.

I see the Dems needing to improve their GOTV efforts as an absolute neccessity, that’s a given as priority one.

In regards to primaries/candidates: McCain, Romney, Obama, Clinton, Trump - Trump is an outlier in that group, in more ways than one, even if he is a signal of what is happening in the GOP base.

Another shooting. This time in a Walmart in Colorado. Police took 5 hours to figure out what the heck was going on in part due to multiple people pulling out their own weapons in the store. Wow.

1 Like

Mate, who are you even talking to?

1 Like

Trump is giving ammunition to defence lawyers for the terrorist attacker in NYC with his reckless tweets. Already in the case of Bergdahl the defence introduced the President’s tweets on that matter, and the judge agreed to consider them a mitigating factor in sentencing.

“If they were armed…”

Some customers wondered why their fellow shoppers who were armed didn’t confront the shooter.

Darlene Jackson, a truck driver, said she was in the toy section of the store when she heard the gunshots. She later heard that people other than the shooter had guns, but they did not confront the killer.

“Why wouldn’t they draw their guns and shoot him?” she said.

1 Like

Another mass shooting this morning. In a church in Texas.

I saw an estimate of ~24 killed.

On an unrelated note NBCnews are saying that Mueller has enough evidence to charge Trump’s “Lock Her Up” chant leader and former NSC chief Michael Flynn, and his son.