Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

What’s wrong with castigating the FBI and CIA? They are responsible for the likes of Iraq, Syria, Libya etc all disastrous regime-change wars which you and your fellow citizens are paying for and still will pay for.

1 Like

You don’t do it in public. He is destroying public service morale. If you think that doesn’t really matter, it is the bureaucracy that keeps a nation functioning.

6 Likes

Not to mention the fact that he applauds himself for ending the nuclear deal and then castigates Iran for testing rockets.

and I hope he continues to make enemies with the CIA, can’t see that working out to well for him.

2 Likes

No doubting that she is better than any of the establishment Dems, her problem is she will be running against other Progressives with greater name recognition and a ‘cleaner’ history.

She is only 37 and has plenty of time left in her political career. If one of the other Progressives wins I wouldn’t be surprised to see her nab a high profile cabinet position, potentially even a spot on the ticket.

Yep. I am surprised (unless it is Trip in disguise) that this person cannot see that. It is never a good look for a sitting President to make such comments via twitter.

Whether he is right or not makes no relevance to him posting comments like that. He shouldn’t do it, it is completely wrong to do it.

5 Likes

Let’s not pretend that Trump is well versed, carefully considered, and reaching an in good faith difference of opinion based on evidence which is he is now taking public. That would be something new for him. He is just angry that the intelligence agencies won’t say what he wants them to say. He doesn’t want expertise, he wants validation.

The dude could get angry at gravity for remaining a constant.

13 Likes

[EDIT] Just saw @bobo identical post above. Agree completely.
————
Plus, the sheer hypocrisy is mind boggling. Any assessment that contradicts Trump’s view “Iran bad, North Korea now ok, ISIS finished, all Obama decisions horrible” is immediately denigrated. Regardless of the expertise of the agencies actually tasked with assessing the risks every day.

Bizarro world.

2 Likes

Well, in this case he’s castigating the intelligence agencies for being too unwilling to go along with his hyping up of Iran as the evil to end all evils and Bolton’s plans of regime change in Iran.

Trump is the sabre rattler right now, and the CIA etc are the voices of reason and restraint.

4 Likes

To quote Hudson from Aliens, “f… ay”

The CIA the voices of reason and constraint? Excuse moi? The CIA are going hard on Venezuela, the likes Elliot ■■■■■■■ Abrams is the envoy - that’s all you need to know. A guy who has involvement all over Latin America with various death squads, is the envoy to Venezuela - this is a sick joke. The guy should be hanging from a noose rather than somehow still be relevant in Washington discourse.

Trump REDPILLS the CIA.

2 Likes

Sanders and Warren (as you spoke to) both have their issues. Both are particularly IMO very weak on foreign policy which is where Tulsi is a standout.

If I were a U.S voter, Sanders would be my clear favourite, followed by Tulsi then Warren. The other centrist stooges can get in the bin.

Would not be surprised if a centrist gets the nod.

There is a heap of nominees on the left who are in danger of splitting the vote. If one centrist emerges they could get a delegate lead that can’t be caught by the time the from runner on the left emerges.

That has crossed my mind before.

1 Like

At this point, I have Bernie, Warren, Kamala Harris and, if he joins the race, Biden as the likely candidates.

Biden has the biggest name recognition and has charisma - but he is behind the times and doesn’t have a great history in elections.

Bernie has the progressive vote on lock imo, he also has the 2nd most recognisable name (after Biden) which is something he didn’t have last time. He is the rightful front runner imo.

Kamala will get the establishment’s support, which is a huge advantage in the primary. She is a good salesman and has positioned herself well as a ‘progressive’ establishment figure. Being a woman of colour will also be a pretty big advantage in this cycle. She is the biggest threat to Sanders.

I don’t see Warren getting past Bernie on the progressive side as many are uncomfortable with her ‘gamesmanship’, she would be the compromise choice between Bernie and Kamala. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her as a VP pick for either Bernie or Kamala.

1 Like

Bravo.

1 Like

You’re right that both Bernie and Warren have weak spots on FP, although I’d back Bernie’s instincts and values to guide him in the right direction. More importantly, the US doesn’t need a President who is a foreign policy expert, they need the opposite. Tulsi would make a great head of Defense or State though.

1 Like

I reckon you can put it in the bank that the DNC via the super delegates will have a centrist as the candidate for the 2020 GE. There’s no way the Dem establishment will allow a progressive to lead the party - you only have to look at what they did to Bernie in 2016 as evidence.

The Dems IMO would rather lose to Trump, than run a progressive candidate in the general election.

I’m talking about the specific case of Iran, in which the CIA ARE more restrained than trump and trump is complaining about it. Certainly not defending their record elsewhere.

3 Likes

It’s a bit more complicated than progressive vs establishment.

• There’s the Black vote
  • Hispanic vote
  • Even Millennial left is different to the social left. I can see young people getting behind a Beto type rather than Sanders. The rock star vs the professor.
  • women have been a huge driver in Democratic organisation and energy post Trump. I’m not sure they want to get behind an old white man for example.

It’s overlooked but Sanders lost becuase of the black vote. He got smashed in the South, where Clinton built an unassailable lead. The potential candidates can’t just show off their progressive credentials, there’s multiple factors at play.

1 Like