Make the US Politics Thread Great Again

'MERICUUUHHH

2 Likes

So pretty much the same as here, just with bigger numbers.

2 Likes

Here is another article which talks about capitalism and specifically efficiency, and shows how it is leading to these kinds of results.

Rethinking Efficiency

I believe in capitalism. Just not all the time, and not unchecked. We need to be doing a lot more to rein in the corporations.

1 Like

Didn’t read a word of that,… but 100% agree with your comment.

I mentioned “unpatriotic” in the context of the stereotype, and its historical use and the arguments made to attack Jews. There is a simple logical step (that has frequently in the past been taken) to say that someone is loyal to another country, and therefore not loyal to their own. This attack was used on Jews even before Israel existed. She used one part of the stereotype, which by itself references the other part.

You yourself say she “Her stance is that she sees a problem with allegiance to a foreign country as an American citizen”. I mean, that is one of the classic Jewish slurs for over a century. Especially since Israel was created. If she’s honestly saying that American’s who support Israel have their allegiance with Israel, well that’s racist as ■■■■. It wouldn’t matter if someone was supporting other countries instead of Israel, but in the context of the history of that racial stereotype it’s a special kind of insult to Jews.

I mean, if I had Palestinian ancestry and made an argument for the Palestinians and someone argued that I therefore had allegiance to Palestine, that would be pretty damn racist as well.

The Benjamins one was far more grey, because you’re right, it was in the context of AIPAC. However, it also played to a long established Jewish stereotype. On its own, I think most would have written it off as a poorly worded statement, and she did apologise for it (which implies she also thinks it was wrong). However, the second comment makes it suspicious that it wasn’t a slip of the tongue.

No effort should be made to impeach President Donald Trump unless the reasons are overwhelming and bipartisan, US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says in a Washington Post interview.

“I’m not for impeachment,” Ms Pelosi, the top US Democrat, said in the interview published today.

“Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country,” she said.

“He’s just not worth it.”

1 Like

I’m not convinced if beaten at the bext election, he will support a peaceful transition of power.

3 Likes

He doesn’t have enough power to do much damage.

Also alt-right said the same about Obama and nothing really bad happened.

Cool.
Call in the snipers.

1 Like

I’m not adverse to that policy position.

You should be

Well he has to save enough so AOC can build her Hi-speed train from LA to Tokyo.

But he will go out tweeting that he was a great, really great, big great President, the best ever President ever

1 Like

At last some common sense👍

Do you mean from the NRA for those against Trump. They have the best guns.

I’d be expecting the transition period to be dominated by baseless claims of election fraud, which will be used to hide an unprecedented amount of pardons, executive orders and general corruption.

3 Likes

This (rightly) is leading the news here in the US (at least after the many NFL trades that happened today). Few scandals outline how absolutely unaccountable wealthy folks can be. Regardless of their political persuasions. I would hazard a guess many indicted in this are actually self-professed “liberals”.

1 Like

Dammit!

If you can’t trust Aunt Becky, it’s not a world I want to be part of.

I betcha they could tie this one back to Trump quite easily as well if they wanted too

This kind of issue happens in every country - Somehow the Universities will again get off scot free, even though it’s incumbent on them to check students academic records.

1 Like